Michelin California

I think hayato is a lot harder to get into than kaneyoshi

2 Likes

Happy for the Sushi/Bar team. I haven’t been to the Encino location, but thought the meal and drinks I had in Montecito were phenomenal in terms of taste and creativity. By completely giving up the ghost on being “authentic,” they freed themselves and are doing something special. Haven’t tried pasta/bar, but it’s on the list.

Perhaps not so if you have been there before and can plan ahead for months.

Agreed that Angler is more deserving of a star than Republique.

1 Like

Love that.

My 2018 review of Sushi | Bar here…

This is what I was thinking. Shunji has had fits and starts and transitions and they might want to wait to see how he/they land. I’m pretty sure the traffic noise & mosquito sitch has nothing to do with it. :innocent:

3 Likes

Republique is more Italian than French, and its Italian dishes aren’t Frenchy. At least in California, Michelin never gives stars to Italian restaurants that aren’t Frenchified. Also, it’s open all day, so they’re judged on breakfast, brunch, and lunch as well as dinner.

Majordomo now has Plate instead of Bib, which fits their prices.

Shunji’s not listed at all, probably out for this edition because they’re in the process of moving to Santa Monica.

Since Angler in SF has a star, my guess is they don’t think the LA place is as good.

Even after reopening the dining room, Go wasn’t sure that Hayato could recover; two stars from Michelin, he says, might attract more customers and provide more long-term stability.

Is Hayato not booked solid at every meal? Or does he mean that with two stars maybe he can add more staff and more seats?

1 Like

Warrior: Osteria Mozza is Frenchified? Personally, I think Republique is more Frenchified than Osteria Mozza and about on the same quality level. Osteria Mozza seems like a surprising choice for a Michelin star to me.

Nope, I missed that they had one star. Interesting. I don’t know how they make the cut and Perbacco in SF does not. La Ciccia isn’t even in the guide.

Actually, there’s something weird about the Michelin web site. The only restaurants that show up are the ones with Bib, Plate, or Star. In previous guides.the majority of restaurants have none of those.

As I recall Michelin does judge on more than just the food. Mozza dinning is much more polished than Republique. Yet, for our preferences, we go to Republique 10-12 times/year but to Mozza once every few years and never by our own choice.

I love Osteria Mozza and it’s a relatively easy reservation to get.

To emphasize this they serve baguettes and French butter

8 Likes

Which part of Gucci Osteria is French?

2 Likes

I’m so happy for Hayato! They absolutely deserve the second star.

6 Likes

They actually say they don’t. That’s it’s strictly only about the food. But we know that’s a lie. Osteria Mozza has white tablecloth and Republique’s tables are bare. As absurd as this sounds, it helps explain the difference.

2 Likes

When République fixes their awful hospitality perhaps they may be considered on a Michelin level. I’ve had better service and care at a Cheesecake Factory.

1 Like

So which of these sushi restaurants in LA is the easiest to get into? Every time I look the waiting list is for 1.5-2 months ahead.

It’s the staid Michelin formula.

They only throw the occasional bone to the hawker in Singapore, for example, simply to placate the Chowhounds out there who happen to also spend the money to fine dine.