Michelin California

Good to know!

1 Like

Interesting article about the impact on losing a Michelin star

https://www.sfchronicle.com/food/restaurants/article/michelin-star-loss-17635862.php

2 Likes

I did see the post on Instagram yesterday mentioned in the story by Jeremy Fox. He sounded like a protective papa bear of his team, really makes me respect him even more especially after over coming his own mental health issues.

4 Likes

I also respect the folks who decide to give them back.

2 Likes

I’m glad to see that Kaneyoshi got a star; well-deserved in their case. But Sushi 715?? It just opened, and I do not see it ranking up there with Kaneyoshi at all.

3 Likes

715 has been open since at least August.

Yes. And that seems very “new” to me as regards the awarding of Michelin stars.

1 Like

sometimes i wonder if Michelin is paid off by certain entities to give certain restaurants a star. Caruso’s comes to mind.

3 Likes

Not an entirely new phenomenon. This restaurant was opened for just 20 days before getting a star.

1 Like

The ultimate one up against Karen Bass.

Jokes aside, looking over the menu, restaurant, format and style, they’re right up Michelin’s alley.

2 Likes

Wow! The article was behind a paywall so I couldn’t read all about it; but I imagine that ruffled a lot of feathers?

No idea but it’s in London so I didn’t really pay much attention to it.

Behind didn’t get a star three weeks after it opened. Due to Covid lockdowns it was open for dine-in only two ten-day periods. The chef was on Michelin’s radar because of where he’d worked before.

To get a star a restaurant has to be visited by multiple inspectors who just file reports. Awarding stars are some sort of group decision. Three months seems like plenty of time.

The Michelin California guide is largely if not entirely funded by California tourist boards. I doubt they’d risk that big revenue stream for a bribe from individual restaurants. Nor do most restaurants have the money to fund fat bribes anyway.

2 x 10 = 20 days of service??

Right. Long enough for two or three inspectors to eat there. And the chef’s background and the tiny number of covers surely led them to expect it to be a star candidate.

honestly very surprised about 715. Dude rubs me the wrong way especially after his homeless “charity” rice ball publicity stunt.

Also hi, first time poster, long time listener.

15 Likes

Welcome what was the homeless charity riceball?

2 Likes

welcome

3 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdW67eUJQBl/

3 Likes

not strange at all that he documents it :thinking:

1 Like