Michelin California

My favorite thing here is that there are more Michelin-starred Mexican restaurants in NYC than there are in the entirety of California. (There are three in NYC. Two in California–Californios and Taco Maria.)

PS–that is not to say there are millions of Mexican restaurants in LA deserving of a star, but when you compare them to the respective NYC star-holders, you’ll understand the absurdity.

The idea that Broken Spanish isn’t as good as these random Brooklyn-restos is absurd.

4 Likes

I really doubt Michelin reviewers went out for brunch much

1 Like

I’m happy that n/naka got 2 stars, even though I sure some FTCers don’t agree with that.

Oh also, where’s Spago and Patina?

Can’t speak for Patina since I’ve never been, but Spago deserves a star far ahead of likes of Rustic Canyon

2 Likes

Picture yourself in an alternate universe where New York City has the best Mexican food in the country.

Michelin has spoken.

:rofl:

6 Likes

Discuss today’s award show results here !

1 Like

campton place–returns to two stars?

aubergine and addison at one star…are you serious

bistro na’s

HanaRe in OC with 1*. Didn’t see that one coming.

1 Like

What a terribly organized live stream.

Hayato with a star! Chef Fuji at Nozawa bar too. And a bunch of other Japanese restaurants. That’s pretty cool.

following on twitter seems easier.

expecting prices at shin sushi to rise soon…

1 Like

Shibumi and hayato both getting 1 Star is laughable as the gap between the two is so far. My iOS autocorrect shibumi to Shitbumi so even it knows.

3 Likes

If the people running the twitter account are doing it by hand props to them. That’s a lot of tweets to churn out lol. You’d think they copy it down before and just paste it in as they’re announced but given the speed they’re coming out I’m guessing its not that…

Has anyone been to Urasawa lately? Last time I went was 2 years ago and it was just the chef serving 4 seats a night then.

didn’t realize photos were not allowed at uraswawa. was that always the case?

Photos were allowed when I first went, probably 5 years ago. Then he implemented that policy shortly after.

I found this disconcerting too. I agree that Hayato is superior to Shibumi. But to be fair, I think Somni and Urasawa are superior to Hayato. The 3-tier system definitely has some unfairness.

He’s back to more than four seats now.

I actually don’t have an issue with hayato being a 1 in a vacuum. It is more that shibumi has no place getting a star.

Can we merge this thread w/ the other Michelin thread?

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2019/06/02/ex-employee-suing-thomas-keller-his-3-star-restaurants-for-discrimination/amp/