Mitsuwa Torrance (Flagship) Moving to Del Amo Mall

I wonder if Mitsuwa is going to take up both floors; this is definitely a two floor location.

If Mitsuwa is getting both floors, they will have plenty of space for their restaurants, additional tenants, and the market proper. Maybe they can put in an escalator.

I know parking is pretty bad on weekends at Del Amo, but parking isn’t always the best at the current location either, the spots are Japanese sized and the place gets absolutely packed around lunch when everyone comes in for their Santouka fix.

Perhaps my biggest concern is what’s going to happen to the fairs they have held such as the natsumatsuri, it might be a bit more of a struggle to block off part of the mall parking lot for those.

3 Likes

That’s going to be a fantastic location for them. Much better than their current building. I saw this last month as well, great news for South Bay

1 Like

really? where?

Hyderabad and Mumbai, ex) Hypercity @ Inorbit Mall

i see.

well, the vast majority of indians–even middle-class indians–buy their kitchen groceries in markets that are not in malls. (for the far end of the spectrum, see here). in any case, the more germane examples would seem to be in los angeles itself. for example, the large grocery in the bottom level of the koreatown plaza, which is always full.

Mitsuwa is selling Inaba soba noodle and Santouka toroniku!

13 Likes

HA! I was there today too (I got my Maido in a Box!) and also could not resist picking up some Soba. Will be making it this week cold style with the Trader Joes Sesame Smoked Tuna. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nice! I still haven’t decided how to prepare mine. I may just make chicken miso soup and add the noodles since I have some chicken stock already in the refrigerator.

Made a quickie dinner before the game. And then realized I bought a single serving of the soba… so I also boiled up some thick ramen noodles… Ying and Yang tuna bowl…

Overall… the Soba Noodles were great! They were very thin, but the instructions were spot on. 1 Minute Boil, then ice water shake and the texture was PERFECT. They had a nice wheaty flavor too. I liked these better than the fresh Sun Soba Noodles… so I would for sure buy again.

In addition the Trader Joes Smoked Tuna (A staple in our house now), I also added some left over Tamago from Yamacho Hasegawa. Ever time I walk past (as I head straight to Kinokuniya) I have always been tempted to pick up some of that Tamago and Menchi Katsu. Neededing lunches for the week… I picked up both

Both were really good with a Menchi a definite must repurchase, especially with the Curry Cup that Mitsuwa sells (It’s super roasty and beefy curry! Very different from the one Tokyo Central sells… which is pork based and I also like). The Tamago was a bit more savory than I expected (I do like mine on the sweeter side) but the texture was spot on. It was really nice with a salad I made earlier this week in addition to this dish with the noodles.

I will say, I was kinda disappointed by this Mitsuwa at first, it was smaller than I expected and had kinda random stock. Plus, the prepared food selection is kinda meh. I’ve had much better experience at the nearby Seiwa Market (especially when they have yummy things in their heat locker!) and it’s even smaller! For that reason I’ve mainly been going to Tokyo Central during this time… but there isn’t a Mai Do in the South Bay (YET!) so I’m glad to be able to do get some more than decent shopping while fancy pen shopping… :slight_smile:

8 Likes

For those interested…

6 Likes

:exploding_head:

live seiko gani too

3 Likes

Wow, none of the Japanese markets on west LA have live seafood and that’s pretty lux

Might frighten the local inhabitants. Reminds me of my roomate in college. “There is something moving in that brown paper bag on the kitchen counter :scream:” “oh that’s just some chopped up frogs I bought for dinner”

4 Likes

Lol! My Chinese roommate in college couldn’t even make cup noodles because someone had always cooked for him. Of course my Taiwanese roommate was fermenting cabbage for sauerkraut way before it became trendy so we had all levels of cooking abilities represented.

2 Likes

This particular room mate was from a small town in the mountains and she had never even tried salmon before. Suffice to say residual nerve activity from chopped up frogs was on the more challenging cuisine spectrum :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

Besides Santouka is there any food of note in the food court? Tried Sutadon Ya and it is downright awful.

3 Likes

Not food court, but I really liked this curry bread from the bakery. Also, Modo and Gindaco, which have been discussed in other posts.

2 Likes

Maybe Modo Hawaii for the donuts? Gindaco is a chain from Japan and if quality control is in place, the tako- yaki balls (octopus) should be good.

As for meals, I’d rather forego convenience at the mall and drive to nearby mom & pop shops in Torrance and Gardena.

4 Likes

Thanks @foodshutterbug @Yoda.

I was enjoying the takoyaki flipper at Gindaco while waiting on my order. I will try that one next time.

2 Likes