Mixed butter and coconut cream = curdled

Hi,

I was trying to make some frosting for some coconut cupcakes and not using any recipe in particular, decided to throw in the rest of the coconut cream I used for the cake. The mixture curdled pretty badly and would not form back together no matter what I did. I added some sugar but was low on sugar so I stopped. I looked up curdled butter and coconut cream and got no results. Who knew? Any suggestions besides tossing this?

So many questions. You don’t say how much of each item you used. Did you add in so much cream that it threw the proportions off? Coconut cream is basically fat, so if you did butter (fat) and coconut cream( more fat), you may have had your fat ratio out of whack. Other things to consider – Could the cream have been bad? Did you use powdered sugar or regular sugar? Did you over whip it when you added the cream in?

I make coconut frosting sometimes for coconut cupcakes, but it’s butter, powdered sugar, and a bit of coconut milk. The cupcakes are garnished with coconut shreds, so that adds a lot of the coconut flavor.

It was a stick of butter 1/2 cup and about 1/3 cup of coconut cream. Keep in mind coconut cream is thick unlike milk. I used the rest of the cream in the cake. We ate some and it was perfect. Expiration date is about a year from now. I used a bit of powdered sugar to see if that would bring things together but it just made it sweet and curdled.

The recipe I use is 1 cup butter, 2.5-3 cups powdered sugar (depending on how thick I want the frosting to be), and 1/3 cup coconut milk. I think maybe you didn’t have enough powdered sugar to bring the whole thing together?

Maybe. I added more sugar and just more curdling so I stopped. It’s just a weird result that I didn’t expect.