Mixed Dining Under the Sun and the Stars - Redbird [Thoughts + Pics]

Chef Neal is an avid cyclist also.

1 Like

Oh good… Chefs should take a page from his book. All those ventures require stamina.

Had some Yuzu Custard last night while dining with friends. Pretty good. Some sea bass and bbq tofu as well. Shishito peppers and some Chateau Flotis Red. Good stuff.

1 Like

Really neat idea: Redbird is partnering with Phil Rosenthal (of “Somebody Feed Phil” (Netflix) / “I’ll Have What Phil’s Having” (PBS)) for an evening in Morocco, celebrating the start of Season 3 of “Somebody Feed Phil.”

There’ll be a Zoom video link with Q&A Session with Phil and Redbird Chef-Owner Neal Fraser and others.

Moroccan Feast with Phil Rosenthal and Redbird Tickets, Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 6:30 PM | Eventbrite?

Meals can be picked up at Redbird or they do Delivery within 15 miles of the restaurant.

Watching the Trailer, it feels like a way to live vicariously going to various countries to eat… and it feels like something we might be able to do for a long time.

MENU

WINE

Sparking Rosé
Pinot Grigio

WELCOME

Liberty Duck Bastilla with Almonds and Currants

APPETIZER

Brick Oven Pita, Hummus, Chermoula Octopus, Orange Cured Olives

SALAD

Chickpeas, Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Pistachio, Black Lime Vinaigrette

FIRST (demo with chef)

Socca, Pickled Walnuts, Dried Tomato, Coriander

SECOND

Chicken Thighs, Preserved Lemon, Cauliflower Cous Cous

THIRD

Moroccan Strip Steak, Spiced Lentils, Braised Apricots

DESSERT

Chocolate Tart, Hazelnut Brittle

COCKTAILS

TBD (collaboration with Tobin Shea & Charlotte Voisey) 

WATER

San Pellegrino

INCLUDED - With the purchase of two (2) tickets

(2) Cocktails
(1) bottle of wine
(1) bottle S.Pellegrino
Pick-up from 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM on the day of the event
Tax & Tip included
Zoom Invitation provided (sent 1 day prior to event)
Cooking demo by chef 

BENEFITING

LA Family Housing with a donation from our good friends at Wells Fargo
8 Likes

Wow! Great looking menu!!

1 Like

Redbird has converted their Vibiana Courtyard area into an outdoor dining space (smart). And a new “Redbird Garden” area.

Their main dining room (with gorgeous retractable roof) was always a beautiful place to dine, but keeping the glass roof open is also a nice idea during the pandemic (for more ventilation).

3 Likes

Peony: We’ve been to Redbird many times. I always like the soft and warm gougeres, which used to be served in a cute fabric bag along with another bread. This time Redbird served them on a plate, and they cooled down faster and were not as soft. Regarding tonight’s dishes, I liked the scallops and pasta the most as they had complicated flavor and al dente texture. The branzino, although it was very rich in flavor too, was very dry and chewy, and was therefore my least favorite dish tonight.

Warrior: Dinner at Redbird is nice, but not good for the price. The roasted branzino (which cost a whopping $100) was dry and overcooked. The other dishes tonight—citrus salad, rigatoni, and scallops—were good. Wine list and service were good too.

$100 for branzino??? Was it stuffed with caviar?? Smh

2 Likes

I am debating - Camphor or Redbird next weekend? Looks like you have been to both recently. What do you think?

Peony: @beam Based on our recent experience, I would pick Redbird. Warrior also said he would reluctantly go with Redbird for now, but he felt Camphor has more potential in the long run.

Redbird’s space is exceptional, converted from a cardinal’s residence. I’m not sure what other reason there is to go there.

1 Like

Redbird check-in. We decided to go out last minute and a table in the garden was available. It’s been 5-6 years since I’ve been to Redbird and always thought the food was fine. Upscale American. I think the menu has improved since then and really enjoyed the meal. I would say the food has more pronounced flavors and a lot more Asian influence than in the past.

Gougeres (free): dense but tasty. Cancelled my order of parker house rolls which looked great because I didn’t want too much bread. This didn’t need the whipped butter, but I used it anyway.

Sugar snap peas (coconut cream/avocado sauce; candied and spiced nuts): super fresh produce, sweet, spicy. Recommended.

Chawanmushi (lobster, enoki, scallion, chilli oil): Tasted more Chinese than Japanese. The egg custard itself was cooked expertly. Perhaps a bit too much sichuan chili oil in some bites, but when I mixed it together, really enjoyed it. I would dial back the chili oil and you have a really tasty dish here, if a bit odd to experience what is normally a subtle dish in a different way.

Squid ink Paccheri (pasta, uni, furikake, scallion): A highlight. The uni + furikake combo almost made this sauce taste cheesy, but this was a flavor bomb. Probably the saltiest dish of the night, so if they could dial that back slightly, would be even better. Excellent chew on the pasta itself.

Liberty farms duck (gnocci, cherries, mushrooms): A nice dish, as you would expect, this felt the most like Redbird of old (reliable). Enjoyed but not as memorable.

Skipped dessert in favor of matcha soft serve nearby, but really wanted to try their pistaccio cake.

Our server seemed new compared to others nearby. He was effective, but didn’t know much about the food and especially the drink.

Garden patio is really nice: tables well spaced and plenty warm with all the heaters.

10 Likes

Thanks for the report - the restaurant seems like a solid quality option.