Modern Chinese Cuisine Steeped in Tradition, but Accessible to a Wider Audience and New Generation – Succulent Roasted Pork Shoulder Char Siu, Supple Hainan Chicken Rice, Outrageous Pork Chop Buns and More! – Needle and Pearl River Deli [Thoughts + Pics]

The biscuits are SO good! Also they currently have a bacon, onion, cheese scone that you and I would both appreciate. And I was told that you can FREEZE the biscuits if you decide to buy extra :exploding_head:

3 Likes

Hi Chef @JLee,

Thank you for making some great food! :blush: Forgive me if any of my comments were too harsh; just wanted to provide honest reflections about each of the dishes we had. That sounds amazing that you’re thinking of remodeling to clear the way to make more roasted meats! (@J_L @PorkyBelly @beefnoguy @JeetKuneBao @attran99 @Ns1 @Dommy and others.)

I think I can say many on FTC and beyond are looking forward to seeing your versions of Roast Pork Belly, Roast Duck, maybe Roast Goose (my friends from Hong Kong were telling me how amazing the Charcoal Roasted Goose in HK was) and more. :blush:

Know that you’re doing great work! I hope you can get to a point to regularly offer your amazing Hainan Chicken and Soy Sauce Chicken daily, along with Char Siu, the Macau Pork Chop Bun (and Beef & Tendon Stew!, Chinese Curry over Rice, and new classics). :wink:

Keep up the great work!

5 Likes

Hi @paranoidgarliclover,

Get your Pearl River Deli order and then bang x bang with:

Howlin’ Ray’s
Superfine Pizza - Pepperoni Slice! :slight_smile:
Guerrilla Tacos
Holbox
Porridge & Puffs
Needle (but they open early evening and on, only)
Langer’s Deli
Sari Sari Store (Buko Pie!)

4 Likes

I’d like to give a shoutout to Ord and Broadway, too. It’s walking distance from PRD and have excellent Filipino food but doesn’t get a ton of love for some reason. They probably get lost in the proliferation of updated Filipino rice bowl type places happening right now but they deserve more recognition

8 Likes

Hi @beefnoguy,

That looks so good! :blush: That Char Siu in that video you linked looks amazing! So luscious. Have you had that restaurant’s Char Siu before? How is it?

Are there any restaurants near you that serve this “Sorrowful Rice”? Thanks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really wanted to like this place (gave it at least 4 tries), but didn’t…

1 Like

Loved the scene right after the judge tries this bowl for the first time. Classic Stephen Chow.

2 Likes

This movie looks ridiculous and wacky. Is it worth seeking out and watching? :slight_smile: Thanks.

2 Likes

Hello?! Is Margarita’s Manzke’s mango passionfruit pie good?!

Overwhelming YES!!! “God of Cookery” is funny, engaging, and even if you don’t get the humor at every turn, at the very least the film will prove to be immensely helpful in understanding the food psyche in HK.

Your street cred is one level down with me, Chowseeker, until you report back to me saying that this cinematic delight is under your belt. It’s THAT essential. :smiley:

9 Likes

It’s not my favorite Filipino rice bowl place but their lumpia shanghai and few others dishes are pretty enjoyable. I actually preferred it to HiFi Kitchen and Ricebar (although they’re all pretty good, we’re just spoiled for choice right now)

1 Like

Hi @J_L,

OK OK! :smile: I’ll make sure to watch this movie and understand HK food more. Thanks for the recommendation. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes, as I recalled from my lunch report there from 2019, the Shanghai lumpia was indeed pretty good!

Never got a chance to try HiFi, and RiceBar was kinda solid I suppose.

1 Like

That’s all Stephen Chow films! It’s also heavy on HK slang. You seen Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle at least right?

5 Likes

You know me too well! I mentioned this scone to partner, and he was like, “Ooooh.” Think I know where I’ll be stopping by. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @JeetKuneBao,

Yes, our friends showed us Kung Fu Hustle, but haven’t seen the other one. :sweat_smile:

@paranoidgarliclover I just got off the phone with the ADB team. They have about 6 scones left. Call them to reserve if you haven’t been yet.

2 Likes

Just checked the Toast interface for ADB. My PRD pick up for the chicken is tomorrow (Sun), so I was planning to go to ADB tomorrow, as well. It looks as if I cannot order for the next day, so, given how quickly they are selling out, it seems that the best plan might be to order ahead tomorrow morning? I assume they make a batch of scones daily (I hope).

You’re right. You can’t pre-order using their site. It’s best to call in the morning to check their inventory…maybe about an hour to an hour and a half prior to arriving. I called at 10:30 knowing that I’d be in the area around noon-ish. They only had a dozen left, so I took half. I reserved and paid via phone.

3 Likes

Quick report: Smooth pickup from PRD, no issues @paranoidgarliclover @attran99 @PorkyBelly and all

5 Likes

What did you get?!?!?

1 Like