Moist, Stunning Cake Donuts and Fluffy, Outstanding Yeast-Raised Donuts Fried To Order! - Oliboli Donuts [Thoughts + Pics]

marion berries. lol

I finally finally made the trip to Oliboli.

We got the Original Glazed, Meyer Lemon Glazed, Pastry Cream Filled, and Marion Berry Jam & Ricotta Fry Bread.

These donuts are the best I have ever had. Much better than Sidecar. Why? Sidecar’s donuts can be overly sweet; the flavors of the Oliboli donuts we had were in wonderful balance. Also, Oliboli is fried to order, so no need to ask “What came out last?”.

The skin of the fresh fried donuts has the slightest crunch to it giving way to the pillowy moist airy center. The glazes were perfect for my tastes. Thin enough to not be overly sweet.

The fry bread is just a fried donut (no hole) topped with ricotta and marionberry jam. Really tasty and the only sweetness comes from the jam.

One thing that I have not seen mentioned in this thread that sets Oliboli apart is: THE SMELL

The aroma of the fresh fried donuts yeast-leavened donuts is absolutely delicious.
Most donut shops will smell like sugar, not Oliboli. When I opened the box, I got a waft of fresh yeasty, bready donuts. Really great.

One note: While these donuts are the best I’ve had, they are also the most expensive. The cheapest yeast-leavened donut is $3.50. Is it worth it to enjoy a fresh-fried morning treat? Hell yes!

These are drive-worthy donuts.

17 Likes

In the Land of Good Donuts, Oliboli is the King/Queen.

And that’s not taking away from Sidecar and the mom n pop Cambodian places because those are great too in their own way. Those mom n pop Cambodian places blows away anything on the east coast

5 Likes

Yes!

2 Likes

Have these been discussed b/f???

2 Likes
6 Likes

I don’t have the exact metric but in California just about every donut shop is owned by Cambodians.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foodandwine.com/travel/southern-california-donut-empire-origin-story%3Famp=true

I think this is why in general across California these mom n pop places taste very similar (of course there are variations)

As for Cambodian Donuts head down to Long Beach and go to Phnom Penh Noodle Shack

4 Likes

Alice Gu made a documentary about Ted Ngoy that is winning awards at festivals this year.

https://www.thedonutkingfilm.com/

4 Likes

This completely fascinating.

Hope the documentary moves to streaming eventually (since not sure how else I’d be able to watch).

1 Like

I remember reading an article about him a few years ago. Didn’t know there was a movie. Fascinating story.

1 Like
1 Like

If you were thinking of going to the Tustin area this week to run errands or meet a friend go on Thursday.

6 Likes

Omg 365 free Oliboli Donuts!!!

How sweet it would be if a FTCer wins this

8 Likes

[Checks Thursday schedule on Outlook]

[Sees openings available and books them all to have options for doughnut runs]

8 Likes

I accept all major commercial insurances, and Medicare.

6 Likes

Wow these donuts really are next level. I have really limited experience with donuts but these are unlike any donut I’ve ever had. My impressions were very similar to Starchtrade. Especially when fresh. Super airy and fluffy, just the right bit of sweetness in my plain glaze donut. Also loved that you can really just taste the donut itself which was absolutely wonderful. Sadly reread Starch’s post after I ate so was not paying attention to the smell. Next time I try this I’m going to have to remember to pay attention!

12 Likes

Left over donut is right up my wheel house

4 Likes

Grabbed a dozen to bring for my in-laws. The apple cider donut was not what we got in the NE but stunningly good. Had a bite of the pistachio and lemon and were both simple but excellent.

8 Likes

This looks sexy af

10 Likes

Quite tasty!

First image not as good quality because I had to mess around with it to get the right angle and lower file size.

I like their croque madam too.

I typically add coffee to my order but if you’re ordering online you might want to ask them to hold off on doing that until you arrive. My coffee was pretty lukewarm by the time I got there.

11 Likes