More great pizza in LA

Inquiring minds would like to know if that pizza was curated by the palates of some cool chowpups.

2 Likes

Re: tomato pie pizza joint

Tasted exactly like the pizza I’d get at an average place in NY/NJ. They sell an actual slice called a tomato pie that looks like this.

2 Likes

Yup. That’s the one. I’d always grab one before the movie at the Silent Movie Theater or the New Bev.

1 Like

LOL! It does seem like I’ve been eating a lot of fast food lately. Those damn chicken sandwich wars.

You’ll be happy to know I’m pigging out on lots of grass fed ground beef at home LOL

2 Likes

Yes. That was the little girls with mushrooms, pepperoni, red onion and black olives. The kids didn’t care we were going to Pizzeria Mozza tonight. Pizza two nights in a row is fine by them.

3 Likes

Once again, even though I was staying two blocks away for a week, I was foiled in my attempt to try Apollonia’s square slice. They’re cash-only and it had been so long since I had any need for cash I’d forgotten the code for my new checking account’s ATM card and it got locked due to two failed attempts. It didn’t occur to me until it was too late that I could have ordered a whole pie online.

4 Likes

maybe next time…it is a very flavorful slice!

Robert, did you get any pizza in LA? or any particularly tasty meals?

No pizza unless you count a tlayuda at Guelagueza. Genwa, Ham Hung, Angelini, Marvin, Terra @ Eataly, Chicas @ All Season Brewery, Girl & the Goat, Pearl River Deli, Pajoli, Pao Jao, Bari, Lolo, Zankou, Tabula Rasa.

6 Likes

Re: 20 years ago, I was thinking the exact thing before you wrote it.

I moved to la in 1997 and I remember the plethora of pizza laments on Chowhound, and how jgold loved that place in echo park (but only if you got it with sausage and? Can’t remember… For the pizza was actually pretty awful. I got it once with mushrooms, which came grey and limp fresh from the tin, and realized how terrible the actual pizza was then).

When I found Vito’s (when it was on Vermont) it felt like the greatest discovery. Then he disappeared and reopened on la cienega, was it? I’ve not lived in la since 2015 so am a bit out of the loop. Did anyone ever find out why Vito disappeared? One of those Chowhound mysteries that has lingered in my mind (along with the sudden disappearance of exilekiss, though I know that’s been debated here recently). I asked Vito one time and he was really vague about it.

2 Likes

Vito did reappear on La Cienega nr SM Blvd…since then he expanded to SM Blvd nr 26st in SM…I think he made a deal re: use of his name, sauce, recipe…

1 Like

Casa Bianca

1 Like

Yup, that’s the one.

What was the pie he liked? I thought it was sausage with something else. Don’t remember & not sure where my Counter Intelligence book is anymore.

How’s that pizza place next to Bludso’s?

Eggplant is what I recall.

that’s what I recall as well because, yes, they use mushrooms from a can

1 Like

4 Likes

In the 30-year-old review I linked to, he said roasted garlic with the sausage, and also recommended the fried eggplant pizza.

whatever they put on it, once at Casa Bianca was once too often…ugh

1 Like