Morihiro - Atwater Village

Quite popular @ bic

definitely better that the US price thats for sure!

FTC hug of death?

14 Likes

Vermiculars seem pretty cool to me, I’ve been lusting one for quite a while because of its super insulated lid it can retain all the moisture from cooking, its like an instant pot but not as stupid in some regards for instant the induction method of heating is applied to the sides as well as the bottom so you get super even heating, The insulated lid also means you can cook with much less moisture added but all the water from evaporation is reincorporated into the food so flavors in theory shouldn’t get diluted.

I’ll stop there as if they want me to praise it anymore they will have to sponsor me.

5 Likes

Looks like they’re still crushing it. I’m picking up a chirashi tonight :grimacing:

3 Likes

Morihiro was slammed tonight and churning out bags of takeout as quickly as possible. It was good to see how much success they’ve had in only a few days being open.

Appetizer Box

Lots of good bites in here, especially the pickles, fresh tofu, and dessert. It was a good warm up for the main course.

Chirashi

This was superbly put together and no joke when I say the sushi-meshi was insane. I can see why Mori-san is obsessed with rice because he really puts so much care into it. My favorite bites were the kinmedai, mackerel, and the cooked fish.

This was my final meal in LA before heading out for the holidays, so it’s bittersweet. It was a great meal (not that SF doesn’t have good sushi too) but it will definitely make me miss LA because the humble storefront in Atwater oozed with charm. I’m absolutely looking forward to being able to sit down at the counter for some nigiri when they’re able to open up for in person dining.

11 Likes

that’s great he’s so busy. thanks for the report, looks good. what’s the piece I circled? mirugai, gari…?

1 Like

Steamed hamaguri (cherry stone clam)?

1 Like

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIZ8_ICjZTS/

2 Likes

@PorkyBelly truthfully I’m not quite sure. Texturally it felt like a clam as @J_L suggests, but I can’t confirm. It was a bit firm and rolled a bit.

1 Like

Before the pandemic, I bought a stove-top stoneware Kamado double-lidded donabe from Toiro. Very low-tech but foolproof and practically as easy as using an electric rice cooker, but with vastly superior results (I use koshihikari rice from Uonuma). I love it and consider it an excellent $200 investment. It’s also beautiful to look at. I’ll definitely have to try cooking some of Mori-san’s rice in it.

5 Likes

All this Kamado talk has piqued my interest. @happycat what is the typical cooktime of your kamado?

does the rice stick at all? is it easy to get socarrat?

Crap 3 cuppers sold out everywhere

Hmmm step down transformers :thinking:

No, the rice doesn’t stick at all and the donabe is very easy to clean. I have not tried to get a crust on the bottom but I know it can be done, and I’m thinking I could make Persian tahdig rice in it. To get perfectly steamed rice without a crust, I use the maximum volume of rice (3 go) turn my old, slow stove to high (because it’s high isn’t very) and set the timer for 16 minutes.

3 Likes

I just confirmed last night that their “vegetarian Bento Box” actually has items that are simmered with dashi with bonito, so if you’re a true vegetarian, put it in the order notes or call ahead and let them know so they can prepare the bento box without those items.

As a non-vegetarian, the dashi-simmered items were pretty tasty. Maybe too tasty which was what raised my suspicions.

4 Likes

Thanks for checking! I’ll make sure to note it before I order.

Tried Morihiro for a weeknight sushi dinner last week. Decidedly old school with a very nice bang for buck — definitely a winner.

Omakase Ten — The nigiri was good but the side nibbles might have been even better. The tsukemono stood out. Understated quality all around.

Futomaki was delicious as well and kept nicely to the next day to serve as a mid-afternoon (ok maybe mid-morning) snack.

The salted onigiri (not pictured) was quite tasty. If I’m being honest I’d prefer that the rice be a touch harder, but I’m aware that that’s purely personal preference.

All-in-all, very satisfied. Might be our new go-to mid/high tier sushi spot.

14 Likes
4 Likes

Biggest takeaway from this: Mori-san’s only 56?!

9 Likes