Moving site to a different hosting service on June 20

Site migration in progress. Site will be read-only until it is complete (sometime this afternoon or evening Pacific time).

Discourse wants to double the price for hosting from $100 to $200 a month because the disk storage has ticked over100GB (thanks to the thousands of photos). This makes no sense to me since disk storage is so cheap, so I’m going to move the site to a different host.

I’ll have to put the site in read-only to do that. I’ll post more once I figure out what I’m doing and when.

9 Likes

In the future, should we re-size our photos?

1 Like

No. Disk storage is cheap. It’s just a weird pricing policy.

1 Like

Setup for the migration is in progress. At some point soon I’ll give notice that the site will be read-only for a bit while I do a backup and restore it to the new service.

7 Likes

After a couple of false trials we got the migration process working. I’ll do it for real on Monday so as not to interfere with anyone’s last-minute weekend planning.

Monday morning I’ll put the site in read-only mode. Once the migration is done it will be writable on the new hosting service. 38 very old posts are reportedly corrupt and will be lost.

3 Likes

Changing the date to Tuesday, since some of us have a three-day weekend.

1 Like