MTN - Venice

So what did you think of the food?

I liked it. The quality is there. They don’t seem to be trying to reinvent the wheel. The portions of the starters were a bit on the small side. The saba was 4 or 5 slices. The off-menu fried smelt was 5 little wagasaki (not shishamo) for $10. The ramen portion, objectively, not considering QPR (PQR?) of a $20 bowl, was decent though. I spent $70+ (including the mandatory service charge) on myself and left still somewhat hungry. Almost went to Felix after… :wink:

1 Like

I just saw this on IG and was about to post, but knew if anyone had the scoop it would be you. Sure enough!

Nice work @theoffalo!

1 Like

If they really want to be “old school hip” they’d let regulars run a tab that they pay at the end of the month.

What could be more hipster than saying to the server “Tell Oscar to put it on my tab.”?

1 Like

@J_L
You think it is a called MTN so no one mixes it up with one of your Ktown faves, Mountain? LOL!

1 Like

There used to be a fun Chinese dive bar in Chinatown called The Mountain Bar. It was even a meeting place for the infamous Mountain School of Arts (MSA^).

Anyway, I’d love to hear more about MTN’s food, and maybe less about their payment systems or “hipness!” But nice report @PorkyBelly; I’m looking forward to checking it out this summer.

I will be sure to take some close ups of the food and then “zoom back camera,” or so they say.

2 Likes

Service was a lot better than my first visit, they actually opened early and I got everything I ordered. They also added a dj spinning vinyl of course, fortunately the music wasn’t too loud.

Their vegetables and seafood continue to be their strong suit. The saba was the highlight of the night, tender, moist, and flaky. The shima aji was also really good. But the meat and poultry were just okay, they were cooked well but were under-seasoned, boarding on bland.

Portions are still tiny, and qpr is low. Four tiny chicken wings for 13 bucks?! I’m beginning to think MTN means you’ll be spending More Than Necessary.

coal steamed eggplant - red miso, walnuts, scallion, lemon
mtn_20170822_192040

mtn_20170819_191012

charred japanese sweet potato - miso butter
mtn_20170819_194039

mtn_20170819_194048

shima aji sashimi - grated ginger, scallion, serrano chili, yuzu ponzu
mtn_20170822_190640

mtn_20170819_182130

grilled saba - sesame, scallion ponzu, daikon oroshi
mtn_20170822_191142

mtn_20170819_182547

sake marinated jidori chicken wings - yuzu kosho, honey, chive
mtn_20170819_184253

mtn_20170819_184302

pork chashu temaki - burnt ends, pickled cucumber, fermented chili sauce
mtn_20170822_191517

mtn_20170819_185551

grilled duck breast - shio koji
mtn_20170822_191818

mtn_20170819_190214

grilled skirt steak - red miso, marinated daikon greens
mtn_20170822_221026

mtn_20170819_191142

8 Likes

Nice report.
I loved the charred J. sweet potato and the Saba on my last (second) visit as well.

1 Like

Thanks for the updated visit @PorkyBelly. :slight_smile: We’ve been holding off since your first report, but it sounds like things are improving (some things).

1 Like

I’ve been 3 times now. Still waiting for the fireworks to start.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice @J_L. :slight_smile:

lol, they gave you effectively ~3/4th of 2 wings and called it a 4 pc. that’s nuts.

pork chashu temaki - burnt ends, pickled cucumber, fermented chili sauce

this though, looks amazing.

2 Likes

Well, July is only some 11 months away …

1 Like

Anybody try the ramen yet?

Asari (clam) ramen was decent, with nice clammy broth. The noodles were more soba in texture.

2 Likes

The pork ramen was good, very clean tasting (if you yearn for a broth with an intense, thick, fat flavor, this will not satisfy that craving), well prepared egg, decent noodles (J.L. may be right about the texture, though), two larger than normal chunks of pork rather than slices (so you might want to break them up). But, at $20 a bowl, it will probably not replace your favorite ramen-ya in your regular rotation.

1 Like

Enjoyed this quite a bit - it not on menu on my second visit - replaced by a chicken ramen I think.

http://www.laweekly.com/restaurants/mtn-review-travis-letts-venice-izakaya-has-dueling-narratives-8606286

I think her review is fairly spot-on regarding the excellence of the food.
But…I don’t get…
a) the self-important critic complaining about the lack of stupid PR and a media-friendly narrative, and
b) I really don’t get her blaming Travis for his appearance, for the gentrification of Venice, and (most egregiously) for the fact that “employees tend to speak of him in hushed, reverential tones.” With all the bloated-head, A-hole chefs that (cannot really cook and) do one media-centric gimmick after another, if there is anything that stands out to me about Travis, it is his avoidance that crap (though it would probably fill his bank account much more than $10 edamame/$20 ramen, on one of the highest rent streets in the city, ever will).

5 Likes

BR obviously doesn’t know Venice or Travis. Gentrification in 90291 started long before Travis or Gjelina appeared. And Travis is so F-in’ Zen with food it’s rediculous. I remember one time seeing him shucking a huge basket of dried beans pods in the courtyard next to GTA.

“That’s a lot of beans to shuck, dude. Isn’t there anyone to help you?”

“I actually like doing this myself. It’s like therapy to me. Helps me focus.”

He’s the guy who was driving an old 60s-70s Ford pick-up truck before it became a fashion accessory.

5 Likes