Must-try in San Diego - visiting from LA

Hi San Diegans!

Need help again!

Our youngest is getting married at the Carmel Mountain Ranch Estate in January. Hubs & I (that means me :wink:) are tasked with finding and hosting the rehearsal dinner for the wedding party & immediate family. Looking for something near the venue if possible. Any kind of food but preferably vegetarian friendly. Any suggestions?

Edit: The wedding party is staying at the Fairmont Grand Del Mar, so something close to there is also an option.

1 Like

Yes I would definitely eat there again.

1 Like

Carmel mountain ranch is my neighborhood but I’m not sure there are too many close by good options. You can try Rancho Bernardo Inn and Bernardo winery—neither are vegetarian but might have suitable vegetarian options. San Diego has some beautiful venues but not so much near CMR, though it’s only about a 15 minute drive from Del Mar without traffic.

2 Likes

Thanks @RedDevil. Yes I’m thinking closer to the hotel might have more options and work better.

It doesn’t need to be vegetarian, just not a steakhouse or seafood restaurant.

How much many do you want to spend ?

I agree with the comments that you might have a higher chance to find something good closer to Del Mar or La Jolla.
Georges in LJ is very good, another close-by option could be 9-10. For something a bit more unusual there is Galaxy Taco

1 Like

I don’t have a budget yet but Dad doesn’t want anything too expensive. :grin:

Is Galaxy Taco = Galaxy Cantina? Because someplace like that would be great but website says closing for the winter. What about Thai? Even someplace small might work so we can have the place to ourselves.

Galaxy taco closed or is closing soon.

1 Like

Galaxy Taco shuttered on Wednesday (10/27). Foshey is going to repurpose it as something else, probably closer to one of the Georges concepts.

1 Like

Interesting. The wording “closing for the winter” was odd, like it’s a seasonal restaurant. :thinking:

1 Like

Hi San Diegans!

I feel like I’m driving while blind. Still looking for a casual spot for a rehearsal dinner in January and I don’t know a lot about dining in SD, especially in Del Mar. Has anyone been or heard of these?

• Le Bambou (Vietnamese)
  • Pacific Social (“New American”)
  • North Italia
  • Tamarindo (Mexican)
  • Zel’s (seafood & a little of everything)
  • En Fuego (Mexican)
  • Cucina Enoteca (Italian)
  • Kiin Thai

Also, possibly, if anyone knows of a good place in between Carmel Mountain Ranch & Del Mar that could work.

Thanks!

Sadly we are closing our doors for the winter. We will be reopening in the Spring of 2022 as an entirely new dining destination at La Jolla Shores.

1 Like

@TheCookie, from your list I’ve only had North Italia, which was not very noteworthy. Sorry never been to the others. How many people would be attending the rehearsal?

1 Like

Hi @RedDevil

There will be about 23 adults and 2 kids.

I never heard of these restaurants either, lol. I searched Del Mar on Yelp and other forums. These seem to be in the right vicinity, price range, etc., but it’s hard to trust Yelpers because the opinions are so varied and I don’t know them like with FTC. We could also do something in between CMR & Del Mar but I don’t know the areas enought to figure that out. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Out Del Mar way I have Red Tracton’s flagged. I have no memory of why.

http://redtractonssteakhouse.com/book-an-event/

1 Like

Thanks @robert.

Looks good but the groom is a vegetarian and I promised no steakhouse or seafood places. Also, since the wedding will be a big, long, fancy to-do we’re looking for a very casual place for the rehearsal dinner. I’m starting to suspect finding one with good food is more difficult than finding a pricey place.

1 Like

@TheCookie, Actually, I’ve also been to Cucina Enoteca, albeit a long time ago, which was good, that might work.

Also you could check out Death by Tequila, Flower child (maybe too casual), Campfire (Carlsbad but we really like this place), oak and elixir, Catania and Puesto (both La Jolla). I don’t know if these places are suitable for a rehearsal just some additional thoughts.

1 Like

A party of 25 eliminates a lot of places. Maybe this place. Chef seems very into vegetables.

https://beesidebalcony.com/

Thank you, thank you! I will definitely check them out!

I know. Everything about this wedding is a big to-do! Including the proof of vaccine drama. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: