My Guerilla Tacos blurb, forgot if i posted it or not

Guerilla Tacos, the gourmet food truck, has been around for a couple of years now.

Parking exactly one day a week near a Culver City third-wave coffee house and

another couple days in the once again fashionable and decidedly trendy artist’s

district a stone’s throw from downtown’s Little Tokyo. The truck’s facade plastered

with a vivid, deeply saturated blueish hue beckoning customers from across the city.

You might just think that it’s merely another soporific, trite, overplayed taco truck

that’s part and parcel of the whole craze still going on that has now surely worn out

it’s welcome; Guerrilla is anything but.

Chef Avila devises unique, idiosyncratic creations that sometimes simply defy your

expectations of what is surely possible. The compositions and meticulous plating,

where each herb is placed with care and precision, are surely worthy of a three-star

gastronomic temple. And yet the intricate dishes are merely served on disposable

paper plates and cardboard boxes like you’d find at a simple fast-food

lunch counter. The chef works his magic in a Lilliputian space with two assistants.

Suffice to say, the cramped space is beyond tight even by the standard’s of a ship’s

galley. However, delicious eats infused with utter flavor do come forth for your

ultimate delight.

A recent visit was no different and gave off a complete sense of verisimilitude if it

were possible for a mere dish to achieve that. The sweetbread, namely the buttery

portion of a calf’s thymus gland, was fried to a tee giving off the impression of the

love child of a fried oyster crossed with the “Rocky Mountain” varietal though

downsized to perfect ovals the size of tiny heirloom cherry tomatoes. They were

garnished with a spicy chile sauce that gave off an earthy kick. It must be said that

the kick is composed with the Boyle Heights street-taco scene in mind rather than in

conjunction with Westside tastes, which is a good thing.

The open-faced quesadilla filled with beech mushrooms (from where else but the

local farmer’s market), pungent hominy kernels, and a scattering of herbs to

complement the masterfully fried Oaxacan string cheese with all its caramelized glory complemented by

blackened eggs is beyond tasty and seems to be a menu mainstay.

The real reason you are here is for the novel, ground-breaking, almost earth-

shattering skate wing taco with persimmons (that have been marinated just so to

bring out the sweetness of this seasonal treat) and a pine nut chile that can be eaten

with a spoon if the felicitous occasion had arisen. The flakey pieces of skate wing

melt in one’s mouth like no other fish taco in town right now with the condiments

(pistachio, pine nut chile, marinated persimmons, lemon juice) belying what an

exceptional concoction this is.

And Chef Avila, despite his artistry and the uniqueness of his creations, does gladly

make concessions and modifications in deference to his customers such as leaving

off the chorizo on the quesadilla or employing the corn tortillas for the quesadilla

instead of the large flour tortillas for the gluten-averse.

It would be far from surprising if Guerilla Tacos did not become a bricks-and-mortar

institution to rival the city’s best restaurants in the all too near future.

3 Likes

kevin what the hell did you do to the spacing? Is this a sort of prose poem?

All true except it genuinely does not seem like Guerilla Tacos is going to becoming a Brick and Mortar, I must say. Surely by this point there have been many offers, as they’ve garnered every imaginable accolade, and have even nearly broached Gold’s top 10 as a truck.

I think Avila genuinely prefers cooking in the truck as opposed to a Brick and Mortar establishment.

Yeah, sometimes its fun and it’s the thrill of the chase.

having said that I much prefer GT over TM even though it may be comparing oranges to fucking bananas.

and that ain’t no fucking joke.

Went today for the first time. It was good, but I was not blown away by any stretch of the imagination. My main disappointment was the sardine special (which made me kind of swoon with anticipation when I read the menu board). Cooked well, but rather under-seasoned. Again, nothing was bad. I don’t know if I’m so eager to make a special trip again. And I imagine one’s experience is contingent upon what is being served that day.

The downside of seasonal/farm to table(ish) cooking I guess.

Wes Avila is the man.

Q: So a taco can be used for any culture or cuisine.

A: For sure. I almost see it as a vessel—like a plate. Someone told me one time, “Oh, your tacos are expensive. I get some in Highland Park for a dollar!”

I was like, “You know, you can go around the block and go to Del-Taco and get three for 75 cents, if price is an issue.” I got one of our plates, put the plate down, plated it intricately with no tortilla, spread it out, put the sauce with a little swoosh, and said, “You would pay $25 for this, I’m charging you $6 and you’re complaining. So go fuck yourself dude.”

Interestingly enough, for the guy that said Wes probably doesn’t want a B&M, in that same article…

Q: What’s next?

A: Hopefully brick and mortar—a flagship. I don’t want to just be in LA. I want to be in Chicago, Brazil, Tokyo, Hawaii… I don’t see an end to it. I don’t want to become complacent. I’m always pursuing something better. Always, always, always. Or else you become that guy.

3 Likes

This, I love.

3 Likes

Well, I stand corrected. I am flabbergasted though. I don’t get why he hasn’t done a B&M if that’s what he wants. How much more press and insider restaurant connections could he possibly have??

I am really going to miss the truck though… his version for becoming the Mozza of tacos is kind of disheartening. Not what I expected at all.

He is so incredibly correct about that. I’ve eaten more foie gras, and enjoyed it more, for $8 at his truck than I have for $40 at lots of “upscale” places. I basically can’t even bring myself to order foie gras anywhere else because of how much of a blatant rip-off it feels like now. And every one of his tacos could be a small plate in a B&M that would be triple the price.

I am going to miss those rock bottom prices when he actually gets his B&M, and then turns it into an empire.

1 Like

Maybe he wants to open up his B&M’s without investor help, so he can pull the strings? Just a thought.

Yeah, maybe. I am not sure how possible that is though? Look at how horrifically that has gone for Starry Kitchen for example… although I guess things have sort of leveled out for them at this point.

I don’t think you can self-fund the kind of empire expansion he said he wants to do though?

all it takes is time, luck, patience, and excellent credit.

1 Like

yep, mr. ns1 is right on the fucking money.

Well, also like, extreme talent.

I don’t know about that, seems like lots and lots of B/M’s survive without a surfeit of talent - or even of competence!

1 Like

what are fucking b and m’s ??? I missed the explanation somewhere.

what’s a fucking surfeit ???

troll

3 Likes

troll ???

1 Like

I think CiaoBob is “taking the piss”, as the Brits would say. :wink:

1 Like