N/naka reservations - LOL

You are extremely irritating.

I’m hoping this straight forward post will pierce your delusions.

2 Likes

Well, unless it’s poisoned.

To me it is. I take food more seriously than most people obviously though. To me, moments in it changed my perception of food, and the world in fundamental ways.

Pay attention in the episode, the majority of sequences are the exact same. Lengthy shots leading up to some story about how it’s difficult being a woman, so she became determined to show people she could be successful as a woman chef. It builds up to the exact same scene of Niki saying “then I got the fire to show then” and wrinkling her nose every time… they only needed to have one such sequence in the episode.

Compare when they talk to her mentor at Takao to when they talk to Magnus mentor at his cooking school for example. The guy at Takao just talks about how surprising it is that she managed to be passable as a woman. The woman from Magnus cooking school talks about how he was this oddball student, and how his quirky innovative ways lead to him redefining his cuisine in such a unique way in the future, making comments like he never follows cookbooks, but writes them, and going in depth into his unique approach to cooking.

Or look at the scene where Niki goes shopping, they don’t focus on what special ingredients she buys, or her relationship to them…they talk to the shop owner about how he thought she was just some random dumb Japanese housewife until he read an article in the newspaper about her, and was really surprised she was a woman and a chef, but thinks its cool.

Compare that to Massimo Bottura’s episode going to buy parmesan cheese for his restaurant in his episode, where he deeply discusses the history of the cheese, the cheesemaker, etc… they taste the cheese, and it directly builds up into showing why, and how he ended up making one of his famous dishes, the 5 versions of parmesan cheese, and how it relates to his cooking style.

Btw, that whole episode is instructive. Massimo’s episode is often about his personal life, but it ties his personal struggles constantly to his cooking, and shows how he evolved on the plate, and what those struggles meant for his cooking, and how it made his cooking some of the oddest, and best in the world by messing with modenesi traditions.

In particular, I encourage you to watch Magnus and Massimo’s episodes right before Niki’s, as I think it makes it far more apparent what is lacking in her episode =/

I was honestly waiting for the same treatment…a story about a chef with personal struggles, that was changing LA cuisine in this special, oddball way using crazy ingredients with deep meanings, and coming up with all new flavors after seeing the other episode…I felt like the wind had been knocked out of my stomach after watching it =/

1 Like

Just randomly throwing out insults doesn’t provide insight into anything. You can provide examples if you wish.

No one is forced to read anything I write as far as I know.

Nope.

If people want to provide examples, and constructive criticism, I’ll take it into account.

Random personal insults hurled at people don’t really help anyone. I originally thought they weren’t even allowed here funnily enough.

Real funny, had a friend from the east coast ask me about n/naka after seeing the Netflix episode recently, entirely randomly. Their reason for asking me was that “they didn’t reveal too much about the food, so I was wondering what the real scoop is.”

Heh.