Need another birthday cake suggestion, this time either in 818 or 661

I tossed an entire coconut cake from Susiecakes because it was so sweet. Sucks too because I could have gotten a cake at ST Patisserie right next door for the same fuckin price.

2 Likes

I see your Ube cake with macapuno @ Red Ribbon and raise you a Ube Sansrival Cake from Leelin Bakery.

[pic from Leelin Bakery website]

We lived across the street from Sweet Lady Jane’s Melrose for 10 years and i dont know what some of you are talking about. They make amazing cakes. I’ve had them all. Just went back for tiramisu and the cappucchino cheese cake on friday

I won’t deny they’re very sweet. Asian fruit-filled cakes they’re not. Hence my reference to classic birthday cakes. My personal favorite at Susiecakes is the marble.

The only cake I like from Susiecakes is the orange-cranberry cake they have during November. While it still is sweet, it’s not as saccharine as the regular set of offerings…I can’t eat more than 2 bites of the Celebration cake without needing water or some plain liquid to wash it down. My husband and kids, however, love that cake.

Porto’s in Burbank? There’s a much shorter separate line if you’re just getting a cake, and you don’t even have to order ahead.

Possibly for a Parisian…I find that their quality and QC have gone down a lot since the expansion. But those prices can’t be beat…

Have they? They sell straightforward, not too sugary unlike SLJ or Susiecakes as noted upthread. We’re talking about options in the 818 here.

I like Big Sugar in Studio City as their chocolate items aren’t too sweet, but also really like Pastries by Edie in Canoga Park. There are cakes in the case at Pastries by Edie, but for the best bet, I would pre-order at both places.