Needle - Silver Lake

What makes me happy the most about Needle and Ryan’s cooking is all the continuous improvements, especially in the last recent months… and how much they care about everything! Customer services and dine in experience improved so much as of today.

The very first eggplant bamboo baby from September 3, Needle’s weekend only edition, has been going through so many iterations and getting much much better with more sauce, caramelized edges (left). I hope I’ll make a record of consuming more eggplant bamboo than anything else lol

Re the toast, I was shocked when having it recently, so crunchy it freaked me out, in a good way.

Me too, I said the same thing back then. I used to drive a few hours to LA for Omakase, but never had a chance to eat Ryan’s food until I moved to LA :sweat_smile: Best decision!

8 Likes

Just saw @dvlpmnt beautiful toast creation and I got so curious, I must open a case with detective @PorkyBelly

Have anyone ever try making fun toast with Boloniya from Hamadaya?

That bread is so addictive, an easy access fresh croissant crossed milk bread. Someone please put that on a test for science :sweat_smile:

More info from the OG https://boloniya1979.com/html/page1.html with the best slogan: “If you’re going to eat anyway, eat the real thing”

… and the professional Reddit :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

for our recreation we didn’t use anything fancy, just a standard sliced milk bread from a local chinese bakery operation (sogo) and trimmed off the crust. for the filling we used a hazelnut praline.

this is what it looks like very early in the cooking, with the egg mixture lookin’ eggy.

12 Likes

i really like Needle but their pork chop bun always fails me. I think I keep ordering it bc i so love the one at PRD: but anyway. Great restaurant. maybe dont get the pork chop bun.

3 Likes

@dvlpmnt it looks amazing!!! Ryan uses normal milk bread as well, you did the right thing.

10 Likes

In LA there’s a significant population of diners who expect to pay high prices for first-rate Cantonese food, at least seafood.

1 Like

Wow well done article

Thanks for sharing! I need to check out Arroz and Fun!!!

2 Likes

Mina Park is a Korean-American cook, restaurateur and writer based in Los Angeles, where she owns and operates the Shiku and Baroo restaurants with her husband

1 Like

Thanks, I knew I knew that name but forgot to Google it.

the top char siu

6 Likes

Do you guys think the almond tofu is gonna come back?

1 Like

Got @JeetKuneBao ‘fluened went to my favorite restaurant.

Wanted to try the new veggie dishes as well.

Of course that char siu. Took some sexy shots with my potato iPhone 12 camera

9 Likes

Where’s the hainan chicken bang bang?

4 Likes

Ooh, everything looks so GLISTENING. :slight_smile:

1 Like

yo

5 Likes

lets go for lunch today

2 Likes

see you there.

2 Likes

on this episode of will it caviar with @Clayfu:

salted yolk french toast - milk bread, salted duck egg yolk custard, condensed milk, maple syrup

spoiler yes

tofu chow udon - udon, tofu, shimeji mushroom, snow pea, cabbage, bell pepper, onion, black pepper sauce

pork chop bun - berkshire pork loin, milk bread, spicy salt relish, pickled cucumber

superb

red bean mochi - milk bread, red bean, mochi, condensed milk

sensational

16 Likes