Nemra’s Made-up Yet Delicious Recipes

Its well within your capabilities. I highly recommend Peter Reinhart’s book, “Perfect Pan Pizza” as he has nailed down making Detroit pizza. Seriouseats.com has a version as well, Detroit-Style Pan Pizza Recipe, but I didn’t like it as much as Peter’s. As the cheese used in Michigan, Wisconsin brick cheese, isn’t available here I use butter kaese which Murray’s stocks at most Ralphs. Its a high butterfat, slightly tangy melting cheese much like brick cheese.

1 Like

keep going.

Behold my bucket of broth which gets my freezer near full.

This is 1 whole chicken (meat pulled off after a 50 minute poach), carcass returned. Half of a beef foot. An old chicken carcass from the freezer. Leaks, carrots, onion, celery, parsley, asparagus trim, bay, sp

7 Likes

Interesting. What would you say the beef foot adds?

I tend to make chicken stock as a relatively neutral base for other foods but half a beef foot seems like it wouldn’t necessarily preclude that and it sounds pretty good.

4 Likes

Hard to tell how much stock that is without uni for scale

5 Likes

I’m guessing for gelatine. Probably no flavor added

2 Likes

I usually like wings for gelatin but every time I’ve checked stores for the past few months they’re either not available or priced too high. That seemed weird especially since all the sports events were canceled this year so there’s probably a huge allotment of wings that were never made. (I know, I know different supply lines, etc., etc. I still wonder where they went)

TL;DR, if a beef foot adds more body I’d be willing to take a crack at it.

2 Likes

Just makes it rich, more gelatious, fatty. No way i’ll detect any beefiness but it’ll definitely add lusciousness… There’s a lot of bone as the foot is cross cut so it sort of goes into beef broth territory a bit.

I just mess around a bit and use what i have… i’ve had the feet for too long in the freezer and got them to make armenian broth called Khash

2 Likes

Dang. Yeah, I’m going to give this a try!

1 Like

It’s not that crazy. In Spain they do a lot of mixed protien stocks. Often with jamón trim as well

3 Likes

Yeah, or like tsukamen or other ramen broths. I’ve tried some mixed protein broths but they’re pretty intensely flavored so it’s kind of interesting for me to see a flavorful protein like beef being used mostly for texture.

I do have some serrano style ham trimmings I was going to make into hot ham water but it can almost certainly use some more body without distracting from the ham so this seems like a solid solution.

3 Likes

The sporting events may have been cancelled, but chickens still only have two wings :grin: :crazy_face: It’s one on the reasons they alway seem to cost more than we think they should, plus they require finer knife work during butchering than the larger cuts.

3 Likes

Yeah, but I used to see them on sale surrounding sports events and they clearly weren’t eaten so…

That’s all anecdotal, though. You’re probably right that it just boils down to cost and availability.

I can’t remember which comedian or social media post I saw but there was some bit about how chicken wings have got to be the most Viking of all foods: “BRING ME THE WINGS OF TEN CHICKENS THAT I MAY FEAST!!”

6 Likes

I use chicken feet which are available at most Asian and Mexican markets, as well as Whole Foods. I just learned you should cut the toenails off before using them. Work great for gelatin.

2 Likes

We did chicken feet for our first batch of stock during the quarantine and it was definitely more viscous than the next batch made with drumsticks and thighs but pound for pound I’m still pretty sure wings were the highest in gelatin. Plus I didn’t mention this before but you just get a ton of schmaltz from wings which I didn’t experience with the feet.

Hah, I didn’t know that!. Thanks for the heads up.

3 Likes

Chicken heads are great as well for gelatine if you can get them as well

2 Likes

I do love schmaltz. I save up fat and skin from my whole chickens, freeze it and make up a batch when I have enough.
Have you seen Michael Ruhlman’s book, https://smile.amazon.com/Book-Schmaltz-Love-Song-Forgotten/dp/0316254088/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3SMOIX8VONYVH&dchild=1&keywords=the+book+of+schmaltz+love+song+to+a+forgotten+fat&qid=1591856416&sprefix=schmaltz+a+for%2Caps%2C246&sr=8-1?
I know we are talking about stock here, but I do love schmaltz!

You could also do pig trotters. Pretty widely available at ethnic markets.

I wasn’t aware of that book! I still use his Charcuterie book as a reference a few times a year, maybe I’ll check out his schmaltz knowledge.

I fractionated some stock schmaltz into saturated and unsaturated and it was pretty cool. Very different textures and visually striking:

Good idea- I have some I’ve been planning to make into scrapple but that’s a bit of a production so maybe using it in stock is better.

3 Likes

why cut nails off if making stock? curious. lucky the 2 poultry butchers at the Orig FM sell feet and backs

1 Like