Neopolitan Pizza

Pizza cooked in high temp ovens (re:wood burning ovens in excess of 1000 degrees) require high hydration to prevent burning the dough and makes for a quick cook time (approx. 90 sec).

A lot of “soupy-centers” in Neapolitan pizza occurs mostly because of the fresh ‘wet’ mozzarella used or raw ingredient toppings that release their excess liquid, also contributed by the high temp/quick cook time.

2 Likes

Gotcha, thanks for the info! So does the pizza at Roberta’s have a soupy center?

No, they don’t over topping so it’s not soupy. It’s important to note though that this isn’t very crispy crust.

Pizza crust ranges from crispy to chewy, NY style is right in the middle with both. Neopolitan is more chewy, with lots of smoky burned bits, then there’s the super crispy crust which you’ll find at Joe’s, more brittle, less elastic.

2 Likes

I am not a fan of crispy crusts. And I like soupy centers.

1 Like

As long as it isn’t soupy from just the sauce and cheese, I’m good. I prefer the combination of crisp yet supple that I gather comes from the combination of high-hydration dough, high heat, and quick cooking time that you and @Novelli mentioned.

That’s what the style i’m talking about is exactly. Napoledan. Can’t get enough

Same. Love a correct Neapolitan.