New Office - Marina del Rey - can't find a decent lunch

I thought about Gjusta, which is indeed awesome, but it’s a bit farther. GTA is right on the edge of walkable for the OP – and I suspect a lovely walk to boot.

While I’m in great shape, GTA is not at all walkable, especially in heels.
You’ve all given me some good options, the mention of ROC coming to Playa perked up my ears.

@Dommy, thanks for the rec about the farmer’s market at HHC on Thursdays, didn’t know this and makes it easier to get flowers than running to the Wed SM one on Wed mornings before work.

1 Like

You can always bring another pair of more comfortable shoes with you to work. And I often walk a mile or two to get my lunch. It’s the Kung Fu Panda approach to exercise!

1 Like

ROC and 800 Degrees. The 800 Degrees addition is DANGEROUS for me.

Here is the confirmed line up so far…

http://www.runwayplayavista.com/dine/

–Dommy!

2 Likes

Neither Gjusta nor GTA is going to be $10 or under…

I found the perfect spot today - don’t know why I kept walking by it previously, except that I thought it was a grocery store, and didn’t realize that they had a counter:
Rainbow Acres!

Fresh salads, fresh sandwiches, and fresh soup every day! Everything under $8, too! Yay for me.

2 Likes

Erewhon is opening soon on Venice at Abbot Kinney next to Vice….

1 Like

OMG! I keep forgetting about them. YEP! Great little counter and a good place to stock up on snacks. Being like right next to that new giant sephora however is dangerous for me.

–Dommy!

1 Like

And best of all Egg Slut is coming to Pacific next to Hotel Erwin early next year….

The fries were actually prepared well - but south of warm. It appears they double-fry them. I was working late Friday so my wife decided to try out Hop Doddy and p/u some burgers, fries and salads. She texted me after she ordered that we were having Hop Doddy - too late. Your comments immediately came to mind. The salads were fine. Already mentioned the fries. Totally concur on the burger. I had the lamb - the patty was just as you described. Mine had a weird spongy texture.

Burger Lounge is a lot more to my liking. The beer taps remain dead though - they keep saying, “Soon - real soon!”

I love the prepared food at Erewhon on Beverly, but it really, really difficult to spend only $10 for lunch. The place is expensive. Maybe you could get a sandwich there for $10, but the OP says enormous sandwiches leave her sleepy . . . The salmon plate with quinoa and vegetables is really good (and I’m guessing the food will be the same in Venice), but that’s $14. I get sticker shock whenever I pick up prepared food at Erewhon.

I’ve been eating recently at J. Nichols Kitchen in the Villa Marina Marketplace and it is decent for what it is. I enjoyed the fish tacos I had last week. The Greek yogurt pie is delicious. However, I think you would spend more like $15, not $10, unless you ordered very judiciously.

I get sticker shock whenever I pick up ANYTHING @ Erewhon. I used to work across the street from the Beverly location and had to quickly cross that off my list as a lunch option. Even as a quick grocery pu on the way home, it was too expensive. Whole Foods seems reasonable in comparison (and I’m not a fan of their prepared foods at all—for the most part).

Ah that’s the rub. Whole Foods’ prepared food is cheaper but I find all the prepared foods at Whole Foods inedible. I quite enjoy the prepared foods at Erewhon, but it is often more expensive than or the same as going out to a decent sit down restaurant.

I think it’s pretty difficult to do ROC for under $10.

At least I wouldn’t want to.

Yes but ROC can be shared!

I like some of Whole Foods prepared food - there’s a salad at the location on Wilshire / 5th (haven’t found it at other locations) that’s fantastic and a full portion comes in at about $4. It’s spinach, artichoke, bacon and walnuts – they call it a Paleo salad.

I found the perfect spot today - don’t know why I kept walking by it previously, except that I thought it was a grocery store, and didn’t realize that they had a counter:
Rainbow Acres!

Yes. I was going to suggest them. Great sandwiches and smoothies.

especially the Whole Foods @ 3rd/Fairfax. Horrible. Everything is dried out and bland.

Yep. For the most part their soups are bad and most of the items are overpriced. I still go for their $1/lb off day on the salad bar, but even then it’s hit or miss. At playa vista I get the braised turkey with the asian broccoli and a pasta salad. The thing is, every location has different items, even in their deli’s. The Deli at the new DTLA one was really skimpy!! They didn’t even have Cranberry Tuna (One of the best thing WF makes!)

–Dommy!

yes, the cranberry tuna is one of the best things. one of the few lunch items everybody here @ my office will eat without complaints.