New opening at LA Weekly

Silly rabbit, those fancypants writers have us FTCers to do that for them these days!

4 Likes

Thanks man.

1 Like

Yes. Nailed the question at the heart of the matter.

1 Like

And we have a new critic

http://www.laweekly.com/restaurants/tintorera-review-this-silver-lake-a-bombshell-isnt-ready-for-its-close-up-8736832

1 Like

Following the September departure of restaurant critic Besha Rodell, L.A. Weekly will be publishing reviews in the coming weeks from a number of voices. Karen Palmer is the former editorial director of Tasting Table; you should read her recent piece for the publication: ā€œIn the age of the influencer, do restaurant critics still matter?ā€

So uh, they moved from an employee to a whole bunch of freelance writers?

2 Likes

Cheaper mode of doing business.

1 Like

Maybe soon we will, once again, be enjoying the pristine prose of our favorite non-poster @kevin
And that ainā€™t no fucking joke.

3 Likes

ā€œIn the coming weeksā€ leaves open the possibility that the freelancers are a temporary thing. But they could also be saying that to avoid coming right out and admitting that the position has been eliminated.

2 Likes

That is what they did after Jonathan left. How quickly people forgetā€¦

2 Likes

I just remember complaining she was a mediocre writer in Atlanta but ā€˜peor es nadaā€™ as my mother likes to say.

But I do hope they pick up a full time reviewer I do have a preference for the old fashioned *'d review format. My vote is for SIV although I know thatā€™s not realistic.

Who is SIV ?

S. Irene Virbila
@sirenevirbila
Writer. Eater. Imbiber. Former @latimes wine and food columnist, longtime restaurant critic. Email: sirenevirbila@gmail.com. Instagram: sirene_virbila

Seems like maybe sheā€™s retired.

she is retired

And, at least to this reader, tired AF.

I canā€™t recall ever finding her reviews at all useful

Agree. She was so startlingly non-creative in her scoping out of places and in her prose. I was completely mystified how she had that job for a day, let alone decadesā€¦

she didnā€™t have good bedside manner either.

And doez not look so good:

She looks like Deadth.

1 Like

To each there own. I am not judging restaurant critics on their looks.

As for me I have felt more informed reading her reviews than any other critic in LA through the past 20 years. Less interested in how well a critic writes prose either.

6 Likes

The LA Weekly editor-in-chief tweeted a reply that they will hire at full-time restaurant critic.

Are you talking about this?

https://twitter.com/mshalhoup/status/910257175955566592