New Smoker - Now What?

I just bought pork butt on sale. Never cooked one but going to smoke it next weekend. It’s a 3 lb butt. How long would you cook this sucker and at what temp?

225 until it hits an internal temp of 203. Use @hppzz’s link to Meathead’s site for more info. Beware the stall! A good leave in thermometer is a must for smoking (IMHO). My favorite way to serve this is with East Carolina bbq sauce, essentially vinegar and hot peppers, on a bun with East Carolina cole slaw (no mayo). Enjoy!

Just today I got this, https://www.thermoworks.com/Billows, and its companion thermometer. Bit of an investment but the folks at Amazing Ribs swear by it. My Weber Smokey Mountain tends to run hot so I am pretty excited about using it. Let you know how it turns out.

2 Likes

WSM is a great little smoker and there is a lot of support for it online!

1 Like

i swear by a vinegar mop for slow cooked pork, but i’ve always added red and black pepper to my version for bite. i admit i’m intrigued as to how it’s different using hot peppers.

i think i’ve seen it posted here, but if not, old four drawer file cabinets make good smokers with a little bit of work.

1 Like

easiest would be drumsticks IMO

I add black pepper too. We Michigan boys are on the same page. Have you done the Roadhouse bbq platter?

before we go any farther i must remind you i’m a buckeye by birth, wolverine by choice/education. my forays off campus were limited due to limited funds at the time.

black pepper adds a depth i find lacking in other sources of spiciness as measured in scoville. ingredients such as red pepper or chili oil, etc. are just… hot.

overall, i go with the joe beef theory of taste equilibrium (based on the big mac, of all things), which is achieved with the proper balance, sweet, salty, fat, acid and bite. so my mop ingredients may vary depending on how the meat is spiced in the cooking process.

similar! An indulgence was Steve’s kbbq on s university or seafood company on state when my sister and her bf visit. Always heard about families going to gandy dancer and zingermans and never had opportunity while there…

1 Like

actually, beside local pizzerias such as cottage inn, etc. the only aa establishment i frequented regularly back in the day was bimbo’s where those of us in the marching band sat at our own table, threw peanut shells at each other, and always stood up and shouted “and the band played on! sit ! drink! hump!” to every chorus/refrain of the music played by the live band.

3 Likes

I left Ann Arbor before Zingerman’s came into being, but as my family is still there I have been often. Its quite an operation. Highly recommend the Roadhouse if you are ever there again. Great bbq.
Never went to the Gandy Dancer, but I have been in the building as it was the train station we would leave from to visit my grandmother in Chicago. My brother thinks it is over-priced with quality control issues.
Enough thread high-jacking. Will post again when I have time to try my new smoker gadget.

Where are the pics?
I used to live on this site back in the day
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/

1 Like

+1 Great, site, found lots of recipes too back in the day.

& spent endless hours and $$$ on this thread learning how to upgrade my chargriller grill/smoker.

2 Likes

Addendum to this…
Stater Bros has prime rib on sale for $3.99/lb. Was thinking of getting one and throwing it in the smoker for fun. Does anyone have tips on how this can be done? Looking for rub/marinade ideas and smoking tips. I’m kind of inspired by @PorkyBelly’s trip to Majordomo.

I used a regular rub, smoked it at 225 degrees until the internal temp was 125 degrees, then I just blasted it at 500 degrees in the oven ( almost like a reverse sear method) any rub would work

3 Likes

I was thinking of buying similar cut at Costco and smoking on Thursday but my family eats Thanksgiving lunch. I would need to start the smoker way too early for that. If you end up smoking the short rib let me know how it goes. My co worker also recommends the same method as @Hungrydrunk. Cook until internal temp is around 125-130 then reverse sear. He does the sear on cast iron but broiler would probably work

2 Likes

Dry rub overnight or same day? If I get out of work early enough, this may happen tomorrow.

How many pounds / ribs? Bone-in? You want to salt long enough ahead that it gets all the way through.

1 Like

I did it the same day i smoked it. I’m sure there are other methods where you salt it earlier but mine was fine same day.

1 Like

Do you enjoy smoky stock? After a day of bbqing and eating smokey meats I usually am grossed out with smoky leftovers