New to Omakase

Yes

Sorry I had too :wink:

[quote=“aaqjr, post:22, topic:5390”]
Sorry I had too :wink:
[/quote]I would have been disappointed if you hadn’t :kissing_heart:.

Sorry I was too verbose above, but you’ve pretty much just summed up my thesis: Cheap sushi and its popularity is going to decimate fish populations.

7 Likes

You’re hardly ever “verbose”. I kinda’ like it.

I’ve low key been lurking CH since ~2006, only now posting. Longtime lurkers, we out hea!!

1 Like

[quote=“dreas, post:26, topic:5390”]
I’ve low key been lurking CH since ~2006,
[/quote]Good, then you know we’re not always this opinionated… Oh wait. Yes we are.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be so quick to demonize the popularity of cheap sushi as a leading factor in unsustainable fisheries; almost all fisheries worldwide are overfished, including non-sushi species and even at expensive sushi restaurants, I often see bluefin tuna on the menu, atlantic bluefin is endangered and southern bluefin is critically endangered, pacific bluefin is vulnerable and currently overfished.

Some might suggest that many bluefin are actually farmed…but bluefin have not been successfully bred in captivity, farmed bluefin are wild caught juveniles raised in enclosed spaces, also an unsustainable practice.

4 Likes

Good points. But the very fact of the current rarity of the bluefin (read: harder and harder to find) is actually serving (albeit it in a perverse way) to protect it for now.

The vast, vast majority of the total tonnage of seafood (destined for sushi) hauled in these days is headed for the cheap places, not the high-end ones.

i think a strong argument could be made it already has.

The human population is going to decimate fish populations.

Yes, even those of us who enjoy a 10:30 a.m Filet-O-Fish.

Taking it a step further: The human population is going to decimate earth.

Isn’t that why we’re here?

Precisely.

Then why worry about it?

again, i would say it already has.

I want to have sushi to eat until the apocalypse.

well, if i can quote ian malcolm in ‘jurassic park,’ the earth will endure. the human population…hmmm, not so much.

1 Like

My friend from Korea just came to the States when that film came out, fresh off the boat. He was quite impressed they made a giant Hollywood production based on a countryman named Jurassic Park.

2 Likes

Or as the late great George Carlin said “The planet will be fine. It’s people who are fucked.”

3 Likes