New Upscale Chinese Resturant in Tustin, OC

Just opened about a week ago, the “By Reservation Only” Chang’An list itself as a fine dining restaurant that serves $28 pot of tea (not sure if they charge for hot water refill), and $398 Chang’an roasted duck with black caviar and truffle (free duck soup included).
Chang’an is not the first ‘by reservation only’ Chinese restaurant. The one Michelin star Bistro Na was ‘by reservation only’ when they first opened in Temple City. At the time, if one walks into an empty Bistro Na without an reservation, one will be told to leave and call to make a reservation before one will be admitted.
I sense another Michelin Star.

1 Like

I wonder it belongs to the same owner of this:
http://restaurantchangan.org/

photos

1 Like

Screen shots of flaming duck and menu items from Chang’an’s Facebook page.!

(upload://58zQMCOUXA9JviYCZmb7b0uWi9b.jpeg)

1 Like

At least the duck soup is free if you buy the $400 duck.

1 Like

Do you get to keep the bones??? (@CiaoBob)

1 Like

Yes, duck soup is free with the duck (option#1 on the duck menu), but the catch is that if you want the duck meat, it will be served to you in the form of Masutake mushroom wonton @ $8 per person (option #2 on the duck menu). And if you want the duck bones, it will come wok-fried in cumin for $10 extra (option #3 on the duck menu).
If it’s still around, I will take Dave Beran’s $150 canard à la rouennaise à la presse served table side anytime. Or the $60-70 Peking style duck mentioned in Duck House vs. Ji Rong Take Out Peking Duck, or the $30ish Hong Kong style Peking Duck available at any of the local Cantonese Seafood places.

2 Likes

That duck is on fai-yah!

That duck is on fire.

1 Like

A hot take?

1 Like

Sear some nodoguro with that…

Seems like it’s really a $98 duck with a optional $300 caviar and truffle supplement.

1 Like

You may be correct. Chang’an also list a $98 duck above the $398 duck. But cost of the options is the same. BTW, their listing of black caviar and truffle may actually be a transposition of caviar and black truffle, which make more sense.
I remember that Hakkasan Beverly Hills also served a $300+ Peking duck with caviar before it closed 6 years ago. Please see below:

1 Like