New "water boiled" bagels at Los Feliz Costco

At the Los Feliz costco and they had bagels by the front door and they looked, well different. Better. The sign said “Water Boiled” and they looked less puffy than the ones I’d seen at Costco before (and did not want to buy!) Price was fab, $6.99 for two sleeves of six but, still… That’s a lot of bagels for two people if they are bad. So I did not get any.

But I couldn’t help but be curious (#nosey) so I called them when I got home. The staffer said they are new, probably just added in the past two weeks, they are baked there and yes, they are boiled before baking. The next time I am there I think I am going to take the plunge and buy. I just saw 3 flavors - everything, plain and cinnamon raisin. I’ll probably get a plain and an everything to see.

If anyone out there has tried them, I’d love a report!

Edited to show Friday update -

Okay FTC’s, I got a bee in my bonnet and thought “Hey, I’ll be in Burbank today, I’ll swing by that Costco, pick up some lox and the new bagels and I’ll be golden for the weekend.” Went to the Burbank Costco and? They still have the giant Einsteins bagels. I… I just couldn’t. So I nabbed the lox (I like their 1 pound pack), jumped in the car, drove to Los Feliz and, grabbed two bags of the new, water boiled bagels." The everythings. The smell is making me crazy but I am going to try and be strong until tomorrow am, with the lox and Temptee whipped cream cheese. I’ll report back!

2 Likes

Can you freeze them? We’ve done that bagels from NY Bagel and Deli w/ some success.

We’ve brought NY bagels back from NY, sliced in half, wrapped in plastic wrap, placed in zipping bag and frozen. You have to toast them but they’re great in our opinion. We’re in Seattle and have been to Costco once this week but may have to hit them again to see if they’re here also.

But you want them toasted anyway, so… :wink:

Oh sure I can freeze them, heck I buy the frozen bagels from Brooklyn Bagel Company all the time and know how to “revive” them. I was just hoping someone had already tried them and could report! :yum:

1 Like

Exactly. Unless they’re still warm from cooking we always toast.

One of my the best things I ever brought back from travel were 6 bagels from Montreal. We wrapped them very carefully, froze them, and could then have that happy taste long after the trip!

Oh - report back! It would be interesting to see if they are up in Seattle as well!

I’ve heard that Montreal bagels are special indeed.

With Seattle being the home of Costco and also quite affluent they sometimes have things that we don’t in Reno.

Okay, opened them up this am, warmed them in the toaster oven, let cool then sliced open to eat with lox and cream cheese and…

I am pretty sure they are Western bagels. https://www.westernbagel.com

The poppyseed etc is through the dough in the exact same way the western everything bagels are. And day two, when they were not as fresh? They looked in the bag just like western bagels.

The good new is, I’ve only had the pre-sliced in a bag western bagels from the grocery, never had them whole - and the texture IS better. They are tasty and I will freeze the rest and enjoy them. That said, though pricey, Brooklyn Bagel Bakery is still much tastier and I’ll just keep buying the frozen when I can. Or nabbing the half price ones from 1 - 2pm cuz I am thrifty.

@Catholiver - as Western Bagel is an LA thing, that means your Costco will not have them. But hey, you might have something even better!

2 Likes

Ever since they pawned day old bagels as fresh, I cannot go back there. And this wasn’t a one-time thing. I occasionally go back and read the Yelp reviews and there are others.

To me that is an egregious offense let alone at the incredibly high price.

Thanks so much for the Costco report !!

1 Like

I find slicing fresh bagels before freezing yields better results, unless you freeze for a very long time.

1 Like

I slice them almost completely through, but not quite, and pop off a half as I need them, but then I still have the option of oven reheating a whole one so they are like I might get at the bagel shop.

2 Likes

Posting sightings of these bagels at other LA/OC Costcos would be much appreciated.

Found/bought them at the Seattle store today. Will toast one just to test :slight_smile:

Re freezing, when we bring them back from NYC I cut them in half, cut sides together, wrap each tightly in plastic wrap and then zip bags.

2 Likes

Not a NY bagel and it’s been so many years since I’ve had anything else I couldn’t make a guess. It’s not chewy. As you can see it tasted up fine.

1 Like

“Ever since they pawned day old bagels as fresh, I cannot go back there. And this wasn’t a one-time thing. I occasionally go back and read the Yelp reviews and there are others.”

That… that is awful. Did they do that with the old ownership (four or more years ago) or the new? Gulp.

@Gr8pimpin - you might want to check your Ralphs’s to see if they have kosher bagels in their bake section. If they do (packed in the Ralph’s bags) and they are marked La Romme - try them. Here’s what I wrote a while back when I found them. (Sadly, my closest Ralph’s no longer carries them but other’s might.)

1 Like

Cath -

What did the bag say? The one I think are western (in LA) are marked “Kirkland Water Boiled Bagel.” The ones at the Burbank Costco are clearly marked Einsteins bagels.

Here ya go.

Too lazy to do a search, but, @Gr8pimpin, did you ever try NY Deli and Bagel in Santa Monica? Would be interested to see what you think. On a random Santa Monica note, I walked by (not in) Santa Monica Pizza Kitchen last night and thought the place had a nice vibe. Maybe I’ll stop in for a slice…

1 Like