New "water boiled" bagels at Los Feliz Costco

I find slicing fresh bagels before freezing yields better results, unless you freeze for a very long time.

1 Like

I slice them almost completely through, but not quite, and pop off a half as I need them, but then I still have the option of oven reheating a whole one so they are like I might get at the bagel shop.

2 Likes

Posting sightings of these bagels at other LA/OC Costcos would be much appreciated.

Found/bought them at the Seattle store today. Will toast one just to test :slight_smile:

Re freezing, when we bring them back from NYC I cut them in half, cut sides together, wrap each tightly in plastic wrap and then zip bags.

2 Likes

Not a NY bagel and it’s been so many years since I’ve had anything else I couldn’t make a guess. It’s not chewy. As you can see it tasted up fine.

1 Like

“Ever since they pawned day old bagels as fresh, I cannot go back there. And this wasn’t a one-time thing. I occasionally go back and read the Yelp reviews and there are others.”

That… that is awful. Did they do that with the old ownership (four or more years ago) or the new? Gulp.

@Gr8pimpin - you might want to check your Ralphs’s to see if they have kosher bagels in their bake section. If they do (packed in the Ralph’s bags) and they are marked La Romme - try them. Here’s what I wrote a while back when I found them. (Sadly, my closest Ralph’s no longer carries them but other’s might.)

1 Like

Cath -

What did the bag say? The one I think are western (in LA) are marked “Kirkland Water Boiled Bagel.” The ones at the Burbank Costco are clearly marked Einsteins bagels.

Here ya go.

Too lazy to do a search, but, @Gr8pimpin, did you ever try NY Deli and Bagel in Santa Monica? Would be interested to see what you think. On a random Santa Monica note, I walked by (not in) Santa Monica Pizza Kitchen last night and thought the place had a nice vibe. Maybe I’ll stop in for a slice…

1 Like

I had been to the old place once and there were so many people in line and I was turned off by the small size so I never tried them. The rock hard hockey pucks were a few months ago.

I will look, thanks!! My favorite bagel places so far are

1. Belle’s
  2. Original Brooklyn Water Bagel
  3. NY Bagel & Deli (@paranoidgarliclover :slight_smile: )
  4. Abraham
  5. Bagel Broker
    (and I really need to check out Pops, Bueller’s and some others I’ve driven past without stopping.) I will eat a Western because it’s still tasty bread even though I do not really consider it a bagel.
1 Like

Thanks for the pic and yup, that’s them. @Gr8pimpin is right, Westen Bagels are more like tasty bread. Sigh. How funny Ralph’s can ship dough from NYC and Costco can’t! (Or won’t.)

Thanks for the list @Gr8pimpin.
I knew of some of them, I have had Belle’s and like them very much but $17 for a dozen? Gulp. The big surprise on your list is Abraham’s. I had not heard of them, looked them up and wow. Their bagels look awesome! The nest time I am in that area I will hit them up.
This place isn’t cheap either but the bagels are, to my taste, better than Western. These are actually chewy and the poppyseed is richly covered in poppy seeds (I hate it when folks skimp on that.)

1 Like

Yes! My sister just told me about this place last week. She loved it but I trust her opinion far less than yours :slight_smile: I passed by a couple times… yeah I need to check it out.

As for Belle’s, aren’t they cheaper than Brooklyn Bagel Bakery? I thought it was like $19-20 for a dozen for a 3oz “fun size” bagel, :laughing:

Abraham was an I&Joy turned Manhattan turned Abraham (like NYB&D) but I think they are similar to I&Joy.

That is my one pet peeve with Abraham too. Sometimes they are too light. I think toppings fall off in the bin. I am a salt bagel lover so if a place doesn’t use the coarse salt, or there are only a few flecks of salt it really chaps my hide LOL .

Come to think of it that is another thing I did not like a about Brooklyn Bagel Bakery, is that salt/poppy thing. The salt was like table salt, and who the hell mixes it with poppyseeds anyway? That’s something I would expect to see from Brooklyn Iowa not Brooklyn New York.

What does Ralph’s sell that uses New York dough?

Good idea!

1 Like

La Romme bagels - kosher bagels, the dough is shipped from NYC.

My Ralphs has a giant Kosher section.

The only La Romme they have is braided and raisin challah, challah rolls and chocolate babka.

On one hand - no bagels? That’s awful! On the other hand - wow the other items look fabulous!

As for California Eatery, it’s owned by the same folks who own “Donut Hut” in Burbank. So when you enter, to the right is a huge display of donuts. To the center - the bagels. When I was there, they had just opened and when I asked if they had day old or frozen, the sweet gal just blinked at me. It may be different now.

1 Like

Never been to Donut Hut. I assume they’re worthy of a visit?

I love donuts but don’t buy too many of them - or I’d be as wide as I am tall! But, Donut Hut had made a few “best of” lists and I was in the area so I checked them out and I liked them. Oddly enough what I first liked was that, in the parking lot, by the trash can? A giant empty flour bag. Not a mix or a blend - just flour. Which means they are a from scratch place. They did not have a buttermilk bar (which is my fav) but we got a few classics (my husband is a cake doughnut fan) and the blueberry cake donut? Yummy.

Did a search and found this video which is a tad too hip for me (they talk about how Instagramable it is and I duck from all cameras) but it does give you a good feel for the place and the doughnuts. It’s seven minutes long so if you don’t want to watch just know they say the place is excellent for classic donuts (no unicorn doughnuts) and, the prices are good. The Best Donuts In Los Angeles - The Doughnut Hut Burbank - Stranger To My City - YouTube

1 Like