New Year's Foods

First bonafide meal of meal of 2017 --omakase at Shunji:

Consuming this plate will supposedly provide me luck, wealth, and fertility in the coming year. I’ll take the first two for sure!

Second proper meal of the year – Pizzeria Mozza:

Eating lentils at the beginning of the year is supposed to bring one good luck and fortune in the coming year as well. Deep fried goat cheese probably does, too.

2017 is sort of OK so far.

10 Likes

Beautiful!

Mori Sushi also offers a special New Year’s zensai platter. I typically avoid it because it veers more on the sweet side - which is intentional due to sweetness connoting good luck for the coming year.

That said, I will certainly miss the marinated black bean on a toothpick topped with a gold flake. The amount of care and effort that goes into preparing a single humble black bean embodies everything I love about Mori and, by extension, Japanese cuisine.

2 Likes

[quote=“onelabneh, post:2, topic:4885”]
I will certainly miss the marinated black bean on a toothpick topped with a gold flake.
[/quote]Why? Did it go somewhere?

Ditto about the beautiful pictures. Looks like you already have the luck of being able to enjoy those fab meals. Happy New Year!

1 Like

My family has blackeyed peas.

I grew up in Atlanta and Daddy said if I died before him he was going to have me stuffed with black-eyed peas :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry I wasn’t clear in my original post. I just meant that since I’ll be waiting to return to Mori until after they’re done with the New Year’s zensai, I will miss the marinated black bean which I loved, but did not love enough to compensate for the general sweetness of the overall platter.

Ahhh… phew. L.A. restaurants close or change so fast.