Nice Ambiance, Pretty Plating, Pleasant and Underwhelming - n/naka [Thoughts + Pics]

@lafoodie: I think you know that what you did wasn’t exactly great, but, in the grand scheme of things, it’s not THAT big a deal. I wouldn’t lose any sleep over this.

To everyone else: I think the point has been made.

2 Likes

With that many reservations secured, sounds like it involves a script to get around Tock? :thinking:

nah, just takes persistence.

1 Like

@lafoodie Honestly, what @paranoidgarliclover said. I think we all appreciate the history of your scheme because it gives context. But you don’t have to apologize to anyone here. You came up with a scheme that fell apart in spectacular fashion. You are working to make it right with affected parties and I hope you can. You’ve learned from this. Enough self-flagellation.

@beefnoguy LOVE the detailed reports. But I gotta say, your analogies and descriptions of your philosophy of seduction read as a total non-sequitur to me and come off really . . . weird. And kinda gross, if I’m being honest. You’re a bona fide rock star here. But this post was an uncomfortable read for me. Much love to you, though.

2 Likes

I admit it’s a weird analogy and I apologize for any discomfort caused for anyone, and it could have been phrased better.

In the wine and sake world, some enthusiasts would describe food, wine/sake, or food & wine pairings so good that they are literally beyond seductive. Wine and Sake are both assigned genders for their profiles and characters, based on how they drink or experience, kind of like left bank vs right bank Bordeaux. For sake, the minerality, structure, acidity, and whether hard or soft water is used, and in the end the drinking experience you get from it, and the feeling of whether it drinks masculine or feminine. Some are so good of both types that they are extremely seductive regardless of gender of the persons drinking/experiencing (or the gender profile of the drink), and some producers might find it a compliment if their beverage has that effect on people (and hence the uncomfortable descriptors used at times by others…not justifying, just explaining).

I’ve heard the terms (the ones that caused the discomfort) described for say, Atelier Joel Robuchon (Vegas). Or simply replace whatever remarks that are deemed crude with “romantic” or “impressive beyond words”. Some feel more than others in this regard (or reaction). I was not inferring seducing a person physically or mentally using food and drink, but rather informing the message that Michelin and famous place is not the only approach that will have the best effect, and it just came out wrong.

The bottom line is that there are other places in town to have a very special occasion meal if n/Naka is not available. I can’t discount the part/advice of someone to become really knowledgeable though about food (and drink), but I’d add to do it with passion and/or as a hobby.

3 Likes

@lafoodie That’s cool you want to thank your friend before she moves to Texas, but why limit yourselves to n/n? Your obsession or hers?

There are so many Japanese places to explore in SoCal offering a unique experience perhaps unavailable in the Lone Star State — Osechi New Year’s dishes at Shunji, see and eat tempura at Inaba’s counter as it’s being made (read @Chowseeker1999 ‘s review).

Non-baller meals can be memorable, too.

The esteemed FTC regulars (not me) have lots of experience and wisdom for alternatives to n/n if you ask.

5 Likes

+1 on this. Had a baller meal in SF a few mos ago. Lovely experience, certainly worth the price from a “technical” perspective, but I can’t say I got a lot more joy out of that restaurant than I did from a place (totally diff type of food) that was 1/3 - 1/2 the price. Nice about LA is that we have such great eating at all sorts of price points…

3 Likes

I like this girl.

2 Likes

I saw where you were going.

On the outset it seems like you’re only talking about how to get… you know. But we’re talking about guys. First things first. Most are interested in more eventually. :sweat_smile:

I’m at an age where I’m young enough to be the cool mom/auntie but old enough to impart generational wisdom without always getting the :roll_eyes:… well, sometimes. I’m not judge-y and the youngers talk to me. I don’t always approve but I suppress it for the sake of knowing what they’re up to. The dudes are getting antsy about wanting to settle down but having to wade thru young women influenced by the Kardashian/Jenner affect. It’s a thing. Granted they’re fishing in the wrong ponds, but ponds are bigger than creeks. It’s easier. Ironically, the one who wants to settle down the most is also obsessed with the status stuff - watches, cars, top restaurants. He goes all out on dates. I’ve actually had help on this board finding him the right places (he hates my simple, fun suggestions). But the ladies take him for a whirl then move on. Either because they’re status obsessed and on to bigger fish or they see his materialism as a deterrent to a real relationship. This goes for my nieces & co. too. They’re ambitious, intelligent and educated. But only a couple are going for substance. The others are looking past great guys because they’re influenced by the Kardashian/Jenner affect and Instagram. High-end restaurants are a chance to get “love” on IG. It’s a thing. The Taiwanese Facebook Stewardess’s philosophy may seem whatever to some but to me it’s a refreshing rarity amongst the young baller set.

1 Like

Talk about a thread jumping the shark.

3 Likes

It happens. We’re human. It must be the full moon. I was looking at another food board that’s usually pretty tame and folks were going off the rails there too.

2 Likes

There are others?! :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, but my heart belongs to FTC.

4 Likes

TLDR

As an aside, I’ve got a 4pm reservation this Sunday at Stinking Rose if anyone wants to Venmo me.

12 Likes

I think you might have to pay someone to take that one off your hands… :smiley:

3 Likes

Curious to find out if you told the servers about the misses you experienced during your dinner so that they can be aware of these issues and hopefully remedied them for future dinner services, especially now that they’ve upped their kaiseki dinners from $225 to $275 (plus tax and gratuity).

Keith Gilabert, how I have missed you! :wink:

3 Likes

Eh move on, who cares there are other restaurants in LA. If I can personally recommend one that might be worth looking into it would be Somni or Hayato (if you can get reservations). It’s not the end of the world.

4 Likes

Curious. Why are they denying you the January rez? And how would u get into “hard to reach places” this Sunday?

Okay, I kinda’ get it. Good luck.