Nightshade

Exactly. And how often is a restaurant actually updating their menu item pricing?

???
Who Dat?

covfefe

2 Likes

Or if you use BentoBox (which is basically a squarespace made just for restaurants), you update your online menus and print them from one single place.

3 Likes

Maybe posts 120 on could be split to a separate topic such as “No current online menu? I’m losing my shit!!!”

I’d forgotten congee was her final winning dish on Top Chef. It just seemed like it would be very personal. I liked how spicy it was, not punch-me-in-the-mouth-with-capsaicin but by the time I finished it my face was sweaty.

The lasagna was delicious and subtle, not very far from the traditional Bolognese dish. Looks to me like considerably more layers than some of the photos I’ve seen.

I did not expect the schnitzel to be so big. Perfect crunchy crust with a subtle Sichuan pepper 9-volt-battery note in the aftertaste. I liked it best with a slice of the Koreanish cucumber in each bite.

I saw one of the cooks making the bowl-shaped things with liquid nitrogen so was particularly curious to try this. Delicious and refreshing after the unexpectedly large amount of food (enough for two, given how rich the lasagna is).

Drank off the glass list, first a nice Finger Lakes Riesling, then a Valpolicella with the lasagna, then back to the Riesling for the pork.

I’d reserved at the chef’s counter but found the odd-height stool very uncomfortable so moved one seat over to the bar counter, which has higher stools and a foot rail. Mei Lin came over at one point to make a very precise cocktail for some other Robert.

Looking forward to going back to try more things.

8 Likes

Photo:
Scallops in coconut vinaigrette; Mei Wine Riesling; Mapo Lasagna; Pork Schnitzel with Jade Green Tomatoes (jade green tomato prepared 2 ways); Chef Ms. Sergio; close up of Jade Green Tomatoes with Gwaimei dressing; Almond Sorbet; Guava cream cheese white chocolate dessert

@robert Thanks for your post, especially re: popcorn seasoning pork schnitzel. I was drawn here mainly for the current desserts since they were conceived by an .ink alum who will be leaving for Thailand as reported in a recent NY Times article on LA desserts (he may have already left).

My favorite places to dine solo at the chef’s counter in LA have been Alma (RIP) and .ink (RIP) and in the main room of Red Medicine (RIP). I realize the Asian fusion/New American Modern style isn’t for everyone, but I found it quite enjoyable at Nightshade.

YMMV - Don’t hate me for liking my meal. I didn’t watch Top Chef so I walked in with no special expectations.

7 Likes

I loved mine!

Hahahahaha!

1 Like

came for the shrimp toast, stayed for the fucking duck, and left because their AC sucks.

hokkaido scallops, coconut vinaigrette, crispy ginger, coriander
sweet scallops with a bit of a creamy, tart sauce. good.

kusshi oysters, passionfruit leche de tigre, charred garlic oil
the oysters were great but there was a bit too much tart sauce.

beef tartare, sesame, egg yolk jam, kochukaru
very good, with a kick of nuttiness from the sesame oil. the chip could have been seasoned more.

truffled dungeness crab congee
this was a miss, under-seasoned and not much truffle or crab flavor.

lasagna, pork ragu, tofu cream, prickly ash
delicious. rich but still not as heavy as a traditional lasagna. highlight.

shrimp toast, cantonese curry
i wasn’t blown away the first time i had this but this time was outstanding. the shrimp was more shrimp-y, the toast was crispy and the curry complex, rich and buttery.

whole roasted duck, pickles, cucumbers, lettuce wraps, peach hoisin, chili crispy, kimchi
highlight of the night. the duck was aged for about 10 days and roasted so the skin was crispy and the leg and thigh meat were firm, juicy and flavorful while the breast was soft and tender. Needs to be ordered two weeks in advance but it was worth it @Chowseeker1999, @attran99, @TheCookie, @A5KOBE, @Bookwich, @CiaoBob, @paranoidgarliclover

coconut mousse, pineapple, coconut lime granita, nata de coco
max’s desserts are always a highlight, catch him while you still can.

cherry sorbet, cola, soft & crispy meringue

16 Likes

Wow that duck.

2 Likes

How much will that whole duck set one back? I don’t see any menu prices online (or even a menu with that duck).

Hot damn! That duck! I need that in my life.

4 Likes

Nice @PorkyBelly!

Is leche de tigre (tiger’s milk) a new or retro-new thing in restaurants or am I just noticing it? (rhetorical question) I just saw it as a sauce on Animal’s menu too. Looked it up. Ceviche Juice!

1 Like

The duck is an off-menu special that needs to be ordered about two weeks in advance. It’s $128 pre- tax, tip, parking, gas, duck processing admin fee, duck daycare fee, and duck education fee.

7 Likes

Not new but perhaps getting trendy.

1 Like

wait is the duck getting educated or am I the one being educated?

The duck got private schooled

But, under California law, it’s education was not force-fed.

2 Likes

Tried out a few new dishes and overall they were pretty good, but i wouldn’t order them over the lasagna, shrimp toast, tagliatelle, or peking duck.

(new) oregon albacore, charred jimmy nardello peppers, tomato ponzu
this was pretty good, the peppers, ginger and scallion, and sweet onions were a nice complement and didn’t overpower the fish.

(special) miso corn agnolotti, shrimp and lobster sauce, rock shrimp
the miso corn agnolotti was great; unfortunately the sauce was too salty and ginger-y and i didn’t like all the parsley and cilantro, but they were easily avoidable.

(new) branzino, chive ginger, szechuan chili, bone broth, served with bibb lettuce
an obvious play or homage to contramar’s pescado a la talla. the fish was nicely cooked and even the skin was crispy. chef mei isn’t playing around with the szechuan chili, it had quite a kick to it. there was nothing really wrong with the dish, it just didn’t wow me.

guava, cream cheese, white chocolate
there was strawberry sorbet and some kind of crumble underneath that i liked.

after-dinner bang

queen margherita add sausage
i may have enjoyed this more than my first dinner. @TheCookie

8 Likes

Her food reminds me of New Orleans. A lot.