Noodles Recipes

So did you make these dishes? And, for me anyway, a photo without some kind of recipe or at least general instructions doesn’t help me. No offense intended.

Understood. Just take some time to convert Chinese recipes into English one, not only translation but also the weight measure

Brooks Li

Pea Starch Jelly (mixed with Vegetable Juice)

What is “pea starch jelly”? How is it made?

Pea Starch Jelly is made of Pea Starch - starch from sweat peas. You can also make starch jelly from potato starch, corn starch and sweet potato starch. To make starch jelly, you make starch absolve in hot water. When it’s cool down, you will get the starch jelly.

How do you get the starch from the peas?

I just purchased from Chinese grocery store.

It rained in Los Angeles, so I made Chinese beef noodle soup. There’s brisket at the bottom of the bowl.

@catholiver No recipe. I used oxtail and thin cut brisket for the broth, it was packets of those “buy these meats and eat them today” sale items at the supermarket.

For the broth, I toasted a bunch of coriander and fennel seeds with star anise, a cinnamon stick, Szechuan and white peppercorns and cloves, and charred two onions and a big chunk of ginger. Meanwhile, the meat soaked in cold water for twentyish minutes.

Then everything goes into the stockpot with bay leaves and dried orange peel, 1 cup rice wine, 1/2 cup soy sauce, and water to cover, about 3 1/2 quarts. There may be other ingredients, but that’s all I recall. It’s a scour-cupboard-and-crisper-drawer kind of dish. :slight_smile:

Simmer for a few hours, remove the brisket when done, keep simmering until the broth is to your liking, strain in fine mesh, discard solids. Keep the oxtail meat if you want, or give it to the pets.

Fill the bowl with some sliced meat (I used scissors), Chinese wheat noodles (I used long-life noodles because that’s all I had, more scissoring), steamed carrots and bok choy (or whatever you have), pour broth around. A hard-boiled egg would be good here too, but I didn’t feel like boiling them, cuz I’m lazy.

2 Likes

[quote=“Bookwich, post:29, topic:4566”]
Meanwhile, the meat soaked in cold water for twentyish minutes.
[/quote]Por que?

I’m under the weather today (stomach bug) and that looks and sounds so wonderful.

To clean the meat of impurities for a clean, clear broth.

You can also blanch the meat in boiling water, make an egg white raft, or skim patiently in a zen-like state for the first 10-15 minutes after the broth begins to simmer. They all work to prevent a murky broth.

Oh okay. Like with consommé. I had heard of the egg whites and endless skimming, but not the cold water soak. Cool. Is that a chicken/pork thing too? You kind of put this out there casually. But that’s a pretty impressive cook. The peppers & spices, etc. in your arsenal alone are pretty impressive :wink:. Good job.

It really does. Feel better Cath.

Among the many things I had to fight the temptation to get on my last trip to Epicure Imports… was this multipack of Sun Noodles, Thick Cut.

My favorite cut of their noodles is the No. 18… Also thick cut. It’s not available everywhere, it’s just noodles… not soup… but so good in so many preparations… especially for a Noodle Fiend like me.

So I didn’t get those noodles since I had a package of No. 18 to use at home. It’s still kinda warm, so I marinaded some Tofu & King Oyster Mushrooms… fired up the grill pan and made BBQ Cold Ramen!

I love cold ramen of all types because they are so noodle forward. And No. 18 is made just for that. it maybe a little noodley for some. But with great toppings, a good sauce (We have this onion one from Tokyo Central for Hiyashi Ramen, a cold ramen variation) and a shake of shichimi chili powder… It’s one of the easiest, hot day treats out there…

5 Likes

Oh. Man. That’s. Awesome.

The only Sun Noodles I found a few years ago was the single serving with the sachet or a 30 pack from Mutual Trading. This definitely seems like the best option

If you love thick Ramen Noodles this is the best deal. Otherwise, Tokyo Central carries the full line including the Hawaiian Stuff (The Okinawa Soba makes a great stir fry noodle) and they occassionally have them on special. I happened to get the No. 18 Noodles at Nijaya on Sawtelle.

1 Like

Nice, thank you!

My mapo tofu bolognese put together in under 30min all in thanks to having @JLee’s sauce on hand with meji tofu, ground pork & some home made tomato sauce (Weiser farms san Marzano tomatoes)

4 Likes

Super quick chinese beef noodle soup recipe we’ve learned at home. Prior to COVID, we would stew bones to make our own broth, but more recently we’ve started doing a far simpler version:

1. 1 carton each of low sodium beef and chicken broth
  2. add ginger, onion, garlic powders to taste and a few pieces of star anise
  3. add 1 - 1.5" cubes of beef shank (can get boneless whole shank at Asian markets or cross cut bone-in shanks at grocery story)
  4. season to taste with salt, white pepper, soy sauce
  5. bring to slow simmer and remove anise after about a half hour
  6. can add tomato (my family doesn’t like it), tofu puffs (soaks up flavor and has great texture), beef stomach / tendon (if you want to go crazy) and baby bok choy (add this at the very end to get it wilted but still slightly crunchy)
  7. can really use any type of noodle. in a bind, spaghetti works. At our asian supermarket, they sell a dried knife cut noodle that goes incredibly well. Cook it on the side and add to a bowl of broth.

It’s like 80 - 90% of the way there at 20% of the hassle!

1 Like

This sold out pretty quickly but if not bad if you are a ramen geek. $100 for 5 very well regarded east coast ramen shops

http://www.ramen-lab.com/shop

1 Like