Not Asian Food in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

At a certain point I’d had enough soup with noodles and leaves. So we went to a Russian restaurant and an Iraqi Halal restaurant.

I.R.F Taste of the Middle East. This Iraqi place is a family affair with mom in the kitchen and the sons waiting tables and doing their homework at another table. Mom is a very good cook and the meal delicious. And don’t miss the deserts. You can see the menu with pictures on their facebook page: Redirecting... I’m still wondering where the lamb came from? #35 street 19 nearest cross st. 118, Phnom Penh, ph +855 98 713 443

The other place we liked so much we went twice was Irina Russian Restaurant. It was the stuffed cabbage that I came back for. We ordered one plate of it the first night and we all loved it and had ordered so many things that we had to come back for more. The Vareniki or stuffed dumplings were another favorite, And we all liked the pickled mackerel appetizer. The glass case filled with Russian tchochkes was good for a laugh. H. 22, Street 29, Phnom Penh 855, Cambodia ph +855 012 833 524

3 Likes

How does that happen? Russian food in Cambodia.

Were you on vacation?

I was in Vietnam about 10 years ago, traveling with a Vietnamese American friend of mine. We really wanted to travel to Cambodia as well. But our hosts - my friend’s Vietnamese family - freaked out, saying “No! You’ll get kidnapped!” So of course, we didn’t go. But it’s a regret.

Recently I saw an Anthony Bourdain show where he said Vietnam is the one place he could leave everything behind and live for a solid year. And I thought… Me too! I loved it so much.

I would love to hear more about your Cambodia trip.

Cambodia is a very popular destination because it is cheap and very easy. Actually our daughter lives there so we had a tour guide.

A tour guide is a must. Family is even better. I don’t know what it’s like now. But when I was there nobody spoke English.

If you’re referring to Cambodia, I visited Phnom Penh and Siem Reap in the summer of 2014, and I had no trouble finding people who could speak enough English to answer whatever questions I had.

I was actually talking about Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. I know it’s a different place. But I figured if it was that way in such a busy mecca, with lots of tourists, it was probably similar in Cambodia. But again, I was there 10 years ago and things are changing rapidly. I so wish we had gone to Cambodia too!

Sunrise at Angkor Wat was one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen, despite sharing the moment with a few thousand other people.

Fig. 1 Oooh!

Fig. 2 Aaah!

1 Like

Oh wow! Yep… Angkor Wat was where we wanted to go. Ohhh sigh…

Off topic but he mentioned the soup bun bo hue in Hue. I don’t know if this is where he had it but it was hands down the best soup ever. I make a mean pot of pho but nothing will ever compare to this.

Looks great. Where did you have it?

Can you open this?

https://www.facebook.com/catherine.oliver.75/media_set?set=a.793833897359771.1073741837.100001995038819&type=3

Ngu Binh in Westminster (OC) offers a good version.

Hi @catholiver - I’m not on FB. Sometimes I can still view stuff, but not your post.

I can’t find a simple way to do this but will work on it later or tomorrow. They really are drool worthy photos. LOL

1 Like

Bon Bo Hue at Quan Cam
This place is ‘world famous’ among those seeking the very best version of this dish. She starts serving at 6AM and serves til the broth is gone, usually between 8 and 9AM. We were the only non-Asians there and perhaps the only non-locals. A lot of soldiers were there. Maybe a base nearby. Two huge bowls of soup and a bottle of water for $4! A perfect way to start our day (7AM).

2 Likes