November 2016 Weekend Rundown

is it just me, or does this look like something out of a cafeteria line in an elementary
school level hygiene film from 1964?

2 Likes

Yes. Our Chowseeker is one brave food warrior.

2 Likes

Taiwan is serious about lunch boxes/plates. Very typical. Rice, meat, and 3 veggies. No marinated egg though in that pic.

If anyone is trying baos the 1st time at Baohaus, The Chairman (Horrible name btw in reference to Mao and a Taiwanese snack) is probably the most traditional. I’ll see if my Taiwanese mom approves.

Yesterday, I found myself in Long Beach, a city I’m not at all familiar with. I decided to try the eggplant and mozzarella sandwich at Angelo’s Italian Deli since it had fairly solid reviews. It was basically a caprese sandwich with succulent roasted eggplant, which was overpowered by the pungent garlic spread. I could’ve slayed a vampire simply by wafting said sandwich under his/her nose. It was good enough for a random lunch. Any recommendations in Long Beach for future reference.

@robert’s recent post about Qin West Chinese Cuisine reminded me that I hadn’t been by in quite some time. I ordered the liang pi again, and it was much more fiery than I previously remembered. It really needed the cooling elements of the julienned cucumber and bean sprouts. I would take a few bites, curse profusely, and take copious sips of ginger lemonade. In fact, I was only able to eat half of it in one sitting. As I finished the leftovers, I relied on Beijing Yogurt with its sweet and tart flavors to quell the heat. Did I mention that I enjoyed the liang pi despite the burning sensation in my throat?

And since Sunnin Bakery is pretty much next door to Qin, I ordered a manaeesh with labneh, zaatar, and vegetables. It really hit the spot, and I was grateful to have a meal that wasn’t too piquant. Next time I’ll have to add a dish from Ramayani, the Indonesian restaurant to my Westwood bang bang. Any pescatarian-friendly favorites there? I recall that Kevin was fond of the ice teller.

Sorry for the unattractive photo. It’s hard to make a rolled-up manaeesh look attractive.

8 Likes

[quote=“JeetKuneBao, post:44, topic:4543”]
Taiwan is serious about lunch boxes/plates.[/quote]

They sure are.

I give you Exhibit A: The lu rou fan (braised pork rice) combo from Jin Feng Lu Rou Fan (金峰魯肉飯) in Taipei. This was one of THE finest lunches I had in 2016, of any price range. It all happened to cost like USD$5.

Don’t knock the plastic utensils and dishware. This bowl was godlike in taste, and technique of preparation. The side dishes (ginseng chicken soup with goji berries, marinated “perspiring” tea egg, and boiled seasoned morning glory) were superb as well.

5 Likes

i said maybe it’s just me, and i’ll say it again. there is a vast difference
in the appearance of the food in this photo and the one i referenced above that
looked like something served to RP McMurphy on a daily basis.

1 Like

It is true @J_L. Your presentation and descriptions make it seem much better than @Chowseeker1999’s experience. I don’t care how the food comes (well I do a little) as long as it tastes good. If it tasted good then the army “mess hall” plating would seem cool and retro. To me anyway.

Post and Beam - Sunday Supper

(Clipped photos from kevinEats)

Sunday Supper Menu (a limited menu).

Corn Bread

They didn’t skimp on this recipe. You can taste the stone-ground cornmeal.

Shrimp ‘n’ Grits w/Beef Bacon, Peppers & Shrimp Butter

I’m still partial to the simplicity and incredible sauce of My Two Cents Shrimp & Cheesy Grits. But this standout dish is the boldest on the menu and packed with flavor.

Buttermilk Fried Chicken and Braised Greens

Cast Iron Chicken w/Olive Oil Poached Garlic & Grilled Lemon; Mac & Cheese

There is nothing bad to say about the chicken dishes, greens and mac & cheese. They were all cooked perfectly. The sauce on the roasted chicken was delicious. I commend the chef for using restraint with the salt & fat - which can be a hallmark of soul food. But they could have let loose a bit. The flavors were muted in a way.

We didn’t get pictures of everything. But veggie lovers would be in hog heaven… so to speak. The Heirloom Tomato, Avocado & Green Beam Salad was very good. But the Warm Delta Asparagus, Roasted Mushrooms, Burrata and Arugula could be a delicious meal in itself. I loved it.

It was Sunday night and the restaurant was dark and quiet. But the space and the soundtrack are very fly. Brad Johnson and Chef Govind have created a much appreciated asset to the neighborhood. We look forward to going back to sit on the patio, enjoy the garden and the live music, at their Sunday brunch.

Happy eating!

8 Likes

I get testy when other posters don’t at least add a city :blush:. We just assume everybody knows…
Post and Beam
3767 Santa Rosalia Dr
Baldwin Hills Crenshaw

2 Likes

This past Saturday, I took DH to Animal for his birthday dinner. He loves foie gras and “exotic” meats, so I figured it would be a good choice. We weren’t disappointed.

We (over) ordered:
Bone marrow w/ chimichurri
rabbit larb
foie gras biscuits and gravy (that was all his)
balsamic pork ribs
assorted lettuces with green garlic dressing
veal tongue with black mustard
Pig’s ears with lime and chilli

Everything was delicious. I had never tried veal tongue before so that was something new. The pig ears and balsamic ribs were good, but not something I would order again as there were other things we enjoyed more.

For dessert, he got the cheesecake pudding with guava and I got the chocolate bacon crunch bar. We shared a bottle of wine too (love that all the wines are so well priced!).

Overall, a great meal – I can see why people like it so much!

7 Likes

[quote=“boogiebaby, post:51, topic:4543”]
We (over) ordered:
[/quote]I think everybody does. I :heart: me some Animal.

2 Likes

#Shunji
OOE Omakase. If you do it regularly, overeating is just eating.

madai - red seabream

kinmedia - golden eye snapper

aka-yagara - trumpet fish

suzuki - sea bass

kurodai - black snapper

ika - squid

maguro - bluefin

ikura - salmon roe

kamasu - barracuda

shima aji - striped jack mackerel

kanpachi - amberjack

masu - ocean trout

otoro - bluefin belly

kohada - gizzard shad

santa barbara uni - gonads

hokkaido uni - 'nads

hotate - scallop

aji - jack mackerel

unagi - freshwater eel

tachiuo - beltfish

tako - octopus :taco:

ankimo - monkfish liver

sake - salmon

nodoguro - black throat sea perch

aji - spanish mackerel

maguro kama - tuna collar

tai - snapper

kelp marinated snapper

engawa - halibut fin

sanma - pike

negitoro hand roll - toro and japanese pickles

tamago - egg

13 Likes

Thank you for letting me live vicariously through your pics. That meal looks insane.

3 Likes

Nice @PorkyBelly. :slight_smile:

Do you know where the Unagi was from? Getting super rare now (sad).

i’m not sure, i wish i asked knowing how rare it is. i do know it was delicious.

1 Like

fantastic

1 Like

…and amazing.

1 Like

Suburbia

Chef Tin Vuong’s new place. The menu is a mixture of new dishes and similar versions of some of the dishes from his other restaurants (Little Sister, Abigaile, etc.).

Pao de Queijo (Brazilian “chewy n gooey” cheese balls, butter, spiced honey):

I’ve had these before at Abigaile and they were just as good over here.

Shaved Brussels Sprouts (bacon, lemon, parmesan, brown butter, & almonds):

This was, unfortunately, really bland. It needed more lemon or something.

Charred Octopus (egg, romesco, potato “rotos”, orange, green olive, chorizo vinaigrette):

I wish the octopus was crispier, but besides that it was very tasty. Especially when mixed with the egg yolk.

Red Braised Pork Belly (leek fondue, mushroom chips):

I loved the perfectly cooked pork belly and I loved the leek fondue, but I did not love them together. They tasted better separately, in my opinion.

Salt Cod Fried Rice (omelette, rock shrimp, baby scallops, sweet & sour pork and crab chili sauce):

To me this tasted sort of like a cross between Japanese omurice and Chinese fried rice, and man was it satisfying as hell. I think it would be perfect stoned/drunk food. :grin:

Spicy Spaghetti (sliced hanger steak, stir-fried with Thai basil, enoki mushrooms, and spicy tomato sauce):

This was our favorite dish of the night. It wasn’t that spicy (I wish it was), but it did have a nice kick to it. And there was actually quite a bit of steak hiding underneath, even though you can’t really tell from my picture.

My SO and I enjoyed our meal here for the most part and would like to go back and try their brunch one day.

Suburbia
247 Avenida Del Norte
Redondo Beach, CA 90277

10 Likes

Moqueca de peixe com camarão, pao de queijo & passionfruit juice, from Mesa Brazilian Eatery (Westwood)…

7 Likes

[quote=“PorkyBelly, post:56, topic:4543”]
i’m not sure, i wish i asked knowing how rare it is.
[/quote]It was perfect. You gave us beautiful pictures, the Japanese and English nomenclature. Some experiences don’t require more explanation.

1 Like