November 2017 Weekend Rundown

Chakan

(I feel for you)

Menu

Got the soup with the head meat. Organic, non-GMO, massaged daily, etc.
For a soup joint the kimchi was okay, usually soup places have really good kimchi. Maybe I am bias because I only saw 20-30 something year old male employees here.
FTC LA’ers you probably know how to season these up. It certainly is a clean tasting broth. Closes late, but you can get other bone soups at Mountain and Sun Nong Dan. I think Han Bat is tastier IMO but wouldn’t kick this one out for eating crackers or shrimp chips in bed (wait do Koreans eat shrimp chips?)

LA Yimone
7B832573-C2CB-4C12-8049-CFF745B9E15E
It’s at Beverly and Western.

DAB784B9-B10A-43CF-B602-016E512C240A
Menu. Damn it I order the wrong monkfish dish. I order the soup but really I wanted the monkfish dish on the right side menu. Half the tables had this dish while I was sneaking looks to the restroom and some Korean Yelpettes had mentioned this dish.

All middled aged and older Koreans here. Seafood perfume in the air when you walk in.
Kimchi was great. Service was meh no checkup no refills on water/banchan. Fish was kinda dry. Good seafood flavor with some spice. Will come back to try some other stuff.

4 Likes

Republique

No mushroom toast! I trust in @Chowseeker1999, so should you. Spotted both Mom and Pop in the house. You know when the owners are here the food and service will be fit for the Emperor of China. No 100 concubines for me and roasted baby panda but I got this really really really ridiculously good shakshuka…,

I got a money shot for you guys…

I was tempted by the Sweets case as you walk in but I told the fat kid with the devil horns on my left shoulder to F off.

Oh I got a green smoothie too, that was a delight.

I would live here totally.

7 Likes

Cofax

The hype is real this one fine breakfast burrito! Got the chorizo with avocado. Love both salsas!

Who knew wearing pants tight around the ankles and old Nike’s would come back in fashion.
Should have saved my Z-Cavariccis and Nike’s from back in the day. Or my Genera Hypercolor shirt lol

9 Likes

try the pastrami breakfast burrito, they use Ugly Drum’s pastrami.

3 Likes

Wow. Anything else they change in it?

theyve been doing this for a while. . But they never really announced it.

I read some yelp review saying they put mustard on the pastrami one. True?

Nope, I don’t remember tasting any mustard

3 Likes

There was mustard on mine. I love mustard and thought it worked nicely but took away from the 'breakfast burritoness" of it. It was a few months ago so it might have changed. or just to make sure I’m sure you can ask for no Mustard. I would.

–Dommy!

2 Likes

Oh damn. Get out them Vuarnet sunglasses also, while you’re at it…

1 Like

Holy moly, why don’t they promote that fact???

Trip to CoFax tomorrow…

1 Like

Morinoya

Thanks @J_L for the rec

Power walked my ass over here from Expo/Sepulveda Station because I had no rez and couldn’t afford to wait too long. Luckily I got seated right away. Every table around me was speaking Taiwan accent Mandarin lol. I mainly came here because Battera Sushi is my latest food crush but I ended up getting a few other dishes that I enjoyed.

Cucumbers with plum and miso dip. Nice and refreshing!

It’s all about the spinach and that sauce here. Garlicky and savory I could eat that over a bowl of rice any day.

Got the Battera and Ume-Shiso roll.

Close up of my baby. Yum. Something about Battera Sushi I just love. I think it’s the combination of many flavors and the appearance.

Oden. Winter time dish. I think the Taiwanese has a variation of this because my Taipei born Mom loves eating this.
The broth is very light and delicate and there was quite a few goodies simmered in this beauty. Daikon, fish cakes, egg, and something else I couldn’t quite identify (purplish looking potato like). Why can’t our 7-11’s carry this?

It was a very nice time and definitely a return visit is warranted.

I’m actually impressed on how fast I got here. Left Arclight Hollywood at 5 (Gary Oldman is one of the greatest actors on this Earth!!), hauled ass to La Brea, boarded bus to the Expo Line, got off on Sepulveda, hauled ass to Morinoya at five after 6!!

11 Likes

Dracula loves your comments
Oldman
(and mad props on your public transpo skillz…)

4 Likes

Woa. Is it just bbs or can you get the pastrami in any other form there?

Wow - don’t think I have had oden at Morinoya!

The wife just reminded me I did have it - all the way back in last year.
#earlyishsenilitysettingin

Really??? I hear a decent amount of Beijing accented Mandarin on the westside (I think; my Mandarin is horrible)…

Taiwanese sound like they’re having tea time. Beijingers sound like racous pirates.

Do it. It’s good.

Donepezil 5mg. Stat.