November 2018 Weekend Rundown

East Borough (Costa Mesa)

Saturday and Sunday Brunch Only, 11-3

Kaya Toast

Kaya-Lychee Jam, Egg with Maggi, Cafe Sua Da

Delicious! If I could split hairs the egg yolk was slightly over and I would like more jam. The coffee…it’s a Vietnamese place so you can’t expect coffee from Singapore/Malaysia regional.

Damn my nails are dirty

6 Likes

Whenever I walk by those carts (auto show in Nov/Dec), I’m so tempted to buy b/c they smell SO good. Maybe I’ll finally get one this year. :slight_smile:

That’s what we thought, too, but we ended up getting, um, PIzza Hut delivery. ::sigh:: Bad, bad Dobby…

3 Likes

I know I know I can just go to the market and buy a can of Yeo’s kaya, but I don’t eat the whole can in a week.

The handful of Sing/Malay joints in LA/OC won’t sell it because it’s too damn simple. Kaya Street Kitchen closed and when I asked Simpang if they have it I got a look like I was speaking Swahili

LA Street Dog >>>>> Dirty Water NYC Dog

4 Likes

Hell yes and it’s not even close.

I enjoy Pizza Hut. There’s nothing wrong with that!

2 Likes

Wow that cafe sua da looks amazing

It’s good, but not as good as Ngu Binh’s. Or Contra Coffee in Orange with their Cafe Sua Da Cold Brew Nitro.

Still have to try your favorite Bambu. Tan Hoang Huong is another solid Cafe Sua Da maybe a little too much ice, but at least they got Spam and Egg Banh Mi

Weekend hell is IKEA but at least I got this baby for $5.
Usually when it comes to furniture i send my assistants to all those furniture stores on La Cienega in West Hollywood with a $250,000 spending limit but I decided to save some money and get $25 furniture at IKEA.

Back when I dated Elsa Hosk, you may know her from Victoria Secret, her grandma made the best damn Swedish meatballs. The IKEA’s one were okay. Usually my mashed potatoes I get cooked personally from Joel Robuchon (btw he is my Personal Chef on Friday’s) these were just not as good.

For dinner I am having sushi, I flew in this Saito guy and this Jiro guy

7 Likes

The Bambu in 626 is terrible though - don’t go there.

Liking @J_L style wit da fried rice, did something similar.

I made Surf n Turf :joy:

Cajun shrimp and mussels fried rice from leftover Kickin Crab

And a dry aged prime NY strip from Eataly.

And dessert I had haupia cheesecake from Back Home in Lahaina :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

12 Likes

Ramen run

2 Likes

Koi Japanese Cuisine (Seal Beach)
Celebrated a friend’s birthday with omakase at the counter. Our regular chef had the night off so we were seated with another chef. This place had about 30 people waiting outside the doors before it even opened. They don’t take reservations, so we didn’t call ahead to see if he he was working. It was the most people we’ve ever seen waiting outside ever.
The food was fantastic as always. Our chef was fun and his knife skills were superb. We did miss our regular chef because that experience is more personal. It was rather loud with all the parties in-house and he ran through all the dishes he presented to us so it was a bit hard to hear everything. I was also terrible at taking photos tonight…didn’t catch all the dishes sent out to us. Favorite bites of the night: uni, flounder, black snapper, spot prawn, Spanish mackerel, and their mushroom broth.
Side note, the chefs here were buzzing about Hayato. They are so incredibly proud.

7 Likes

Hayato :yum: Koi doesn’t do piece by piece?

They usually do. It’s the chef we had yesterday. It was different from our usual nights there. We’re going back sometime in the winter.

No pics but we went to joes falafel this weekend. Best falafel I’ve had in LA over dune, ta-eem, or falafel arax.

I always thought that I’d tried joes but it turns out I was at a different restaurant down the street. Totally going back as soon as possible, plus they make their own pita in a tandoor oven.

2 Likes

Hi @hungryhungryhippos,

Glad you liked Joe’s Falafel! :slight_smile: We really liked those as well.

One note: While they make their own Pita, they were really dry and just not as good as Ta-Eem or Tel Aviv. But we definitely would go back for the Falafel. :slight_smile:

1 Like

#carbsarelife

Dinner at Mayura in Culver City.
Top to bottom: Uthappam sampler, masala dosa, and puttu (layers of rice and coconut pressed and shaped into a cylinder.) Not pictured is the substantial bowl of simmered chickpeas provided with the puttu. You mix slices of the puttu with the chickpeas and then dive in.
IMG_7887

IMG_7895

Brunch the next morning at 189 by Dominque Ansel.
Pancakes, Cronut® holes, pastrami hash.

10 Likes

5 Likes

That pita looks amazing!