November 2019 Rundown

@beefnoguy Thank you – that’s very helpful info.

1 Like

Why the hell didn’t you tell me about this for my trip??? Argh! :wink:

How’s the food there? I love a good lamb wrap…

2 Likes

I enjoyed Souvla, although the lamb was just a notch dry today, but not entirely sure I would recommend it for out of towners. They charge hipster SF prices: $14 for a wrap or $15 for a protein salad bowl. It’s nice for Hayes Valley SF since there aren’t that many great dining choices overall in the area (Monsieur Benjamin is close by but quality is inconsistent and depending on what you order), but I think there could be better options around town, at least for Greek sit down semi fine dining restaurant like Kokkari Estiatorio (reservation is a must) is solid.

That Souvla Greek Froyo with flakey sea salt and olive oil even at $5 was awesome though. You might have better Middle Eastern (not sure about Greek) in SoCal (e.g. Orange County) for lamb related goodies. Not Greek, but I would highly recommend DishDash in Sunnyvale (Palestinian) which is 40+ mins southeast of SF by car, I’d say one of the NorCal South Bay greats and I think they do lamb wraps (and lamb kebob plates) far better than Souvla even at their casual fast food branch Dish & Dash.

2 Likes

I was at True Sake today, and spotted somewhere between 4 to 6 bottles remaining of the Denshin Aki in their refrigerator. If you happen to be in SF within the next couple weeks to pickup, I highly recommend you place the order online, but choose the store pickup option if you go to the store specifically, and leave a note asking them to hold it (they will keep it refrigerated up to 30 days I think after you purchase, but call and verify, I’m sure they can take the order over the phone as well during business hours). It’s also single pasteurized so not entirely a raw/fresh sake, but definitely keep it chilled. Once their November newsletter comes out, certain sakes move a lot quicker and you might miss your chance. While you are at it, pickup a few more other things and bring back to Southern California as souvenirs :slight_smile:

1 Like

It was not properly cooked could not eat any of the fish/collar was basically raw/rare

1 Like

Rosy’s Tamales, Pacoima.

Tis the season…
“Estilo Nayarit” is actually quite easy to miss on the sign, especially while flying by on wide Glenoaks Blvd. With the holidays approaching, there will be many feelings about tamales to go around, but for those without stacks of them made at home, Rosy’s is a unique find to enjoy the recipes that trace their origin to the owner’s hometown of Zacualpan.

Even coming in from the blazing summer sun, there is an enjoyment to eating a tamal with a cup of hot champurrado ($1.50), always available here at Rosy’s. What can be less easy to find are the chicken tamales, the stars of the show, which are frequently sold out. Fresh batches are prepared throughout the morning (Rosy’s closes at 13:00) though, so if your timing is not perfect on the first visit, just try again another day.

Start with the tamal de pollo en salsa verde ($2), which they have covered with a handwritten “HOT” notice on their board. The sauce is green because of an ample use of jalapeños, and is always made fresh.

Not as spicy but almost just as tasty are the pollo en salsa roja ($2) and puerco ($2), which also uses a red sauce. The chicken version is stuffed with some vegetables as well. On various visits, the savory tamal that has been untried is the one made with cheese and no meat, surely a delicious options for vegetarians.

Also meatless and catering to the sweeter side are the tamal de piña ($2) and tamal de elote ($2), a sweet corn version that balances between sweet and savory. Regardless of your holiday traditions, there is bound to be something of interest for you at this tiny tamal shop in Pacoima, if not at this time of year than at any.

10 Likes

Cariaco Venezuelan Food, Glendale.

Unlike their Colombian brethren with simple toppings placed on top of a grilled corn cake, Venezuelan arepas can become intense with many ingredients and more comparable to a sandwich. Cariaco does an excellent job with their light and thin arepa, which is grilled nicely and split open to be stuffed.

When your order is called, a tray with your arepa will be presented with an assortment of sauces. Whether it be fast food dishes like arepas and patacones or plated meals, Venezuelans always seem to want to be surrounded with a variety of sauce options, and Cariaco does not disappoint in that regard.

Pabellón, the shredded stewed beef that can be found anywhere in Venezuela in many forms, is celebrated as the national dish. You can get a plate here that includes rice, beans, and fried plantains, but having an arepa de pabellón ($10.50) really cuts to the heart of the matter if you arrive with only one stomach.

9 Likes

Soom Soom. Won’t replace my favorite places in Anaheim but pretty good for lunch in El Segundo. The sides are all generally good. Lots of choices and you get 4 sides with a plate for $14.24. I like the pickles. Babaganoush didn’t have a lot of smokiness. Chicken schwarma had good enough flavor doesn’t get a chance to get the requisite crunchy bits because of high turnover. Very very happy with the garlic sauce. Reminded me of old school Zankou with a good punch. Not happy with the one half piece of fluffy bread they give you though.

4 Likes

OMG!!! I didn’t know they had opened up in El Segundo! Love them. They have a wonderful eggplant entree!

Soom soom is in the plaza with fish grill behind Whole Foods. Is that the sabich (sp?). I’ve had my eye on that.

Kinda. The Sabich is an actual plate. The eggplant is fried eggplant that you can add to your regular protein plates for an small upcharge. I think you can get the fried eggplant is in the Sabbich plate, but you don’t have to get the Sabbich plate.

What in the world is a sabich plate?
That’s like a muffuletta plate. Or a Italian beef plate. Or a PB&J plate.
No doubt it’s tasty, but so . . . jarring to read!

Who needs turkey on Thanksgiving? @Chowseeker1999

10 Likes

Is the arepa itself authentic or a modernized version? How does it compare to the ones on the street in NYC? Looking forward to trying this place, last couple of places with a good Venezuelan arepa have closed.

1 Like

Before and after of tiramisu I made for Thanksgiving:

8 Likes

Thanksgiving traffic was pretty bad

7 Likes

I have a buddy that’s not particularly food oriented but he is VERY particular and he specifically likes Cariaco as compared to arepas he used to get when he lived in NY. We’d been to one or two other places in LA for comparison and he thinks Cariaco’s the best option

1 Like

Joy, the one you are remembering is most likely a Colombian-style arepa, so it is hard to compare. I love both versions. Cariaco is fairly typical of what you might find at a proper Venezuelan restaurant or in Venezuela, they like to stuff theirs with various ingredients whereas the Colombians usually lay down the masa and pile cheese on top.

2 Likes

My brother’s front yard on Thanksgiving. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Sorry for the terrible picture but I was taking video by accident. One day I’m buying this.

7 Likes