November 2019 Rundown

One of the most magical sentences I’ve ever read.

So pretty. Blue is my favorite color. What’s in it?

It’s a type of tea (tisane?) from a blue pea flower often called blue butterfly tea seems to be on trend at the moment

1 Like

What on earth? So he’s not only crazy, he’s crazy.

Sorry about L2E. No stink on the stink beans… hmmm. The pandan custard looks delish. The artificial color they’re using is beautiful. :grin:

I did not expect that answer. How lovely!

I know. Crazy. I had it the first time about a year ago. :yum:

2 Likes

I had moo deng and boat noodles this week and they were comforting. But ya, it’s not the best

So glad you enjoyed porridge and puffs! Great suggestions on savoring each component of the salad before mixing it all up. I don’t remember the blistered grapes in mine—I think she changes things up depending what’s available without changing the meaning of the dish. Even your porridge is different—mine had specks of carrot—yours has some specks of green.

3 Likes

La Habra tamale festival was a winner for us. Pics of the unusual ones, a chile relleno from “gourmet tamales” that probably had another name. Masa was really light but stayed together very well. Overall my favorite.

Also a mole tamale wrapped in banana leaf and a deep fried tamale that was great. Nicely crisp on outside but the inside masa stayed soft and moist. Stayed later than expected and some places were crossing flavors off by 1. Lines short until around 11 then 20+ deep at some stands like “Award winning tamales”

2 Likes

Darn it. We totally missed the tamales festival yesterday. Had it on my calendar and forgot about it until too late.

This new trendy superfood - Blue Majik is an extract of spirulina’s pigment, phycocyanin”

1 Like

Thank you for the report! I forgot about Rosie’s and I’ve been meaning to get over there.

I had insomnia last night and saw that they opened at 4:15am… believe me, I had to fight off the urge to go.

There’s another place a couple of miles down Van Nuys Blvd in Pacoima I need to try. Have you been to Me Gusta Gourmet Tamales? Curious if they are any good.

13754 Van Nuys Blvd
Pacoima, CA 91331

http://www.megustagourmettamales.com/

1 Like

They are pretty good

No but I’ve added a note for next time in the area, thanks! Interesting their website says in all caps that they do not use lard.

For me, that’s not a selling point :grin:

5 Likes

Yes, exactly.

1 Like

Praise the lard.

4 Likes

The photo in the article is pretty too! With a spot of green this Blue Majik is my dream paint color.

Is it December already? November was a whirl. Let’s see… Sergio’s Backyard Party, Birthdays, Sake Festival, Baby Sprinkle and Thanksgiving!

For Dad & Son’s birthday we went to Wilshire Center for some beefy deliciousness at Quarters KBBQ - Banchan, Pa Muchim (scallion salad), Brisket, Short Rib, Ribeye, Beef Belly & Pork Belly (sorry, no tasty photos). I’m just going to say it… I like my BBQ grilled not smoked! This makes KBBQ my favorite. :blush:

After dinner we moseyed over to Snow Monster for Giant Macaron Ice Cream Sandwiches…

Oreo Cookie

Fruity Pebbles

…and spoons that turn blue in ice cream.

Churro & Strawberry Matcha Minis

My heart still belongs to Lette but these are pretty tasty.

Next up, the Arts District with a Little Tokyo diversion.

A brief visit to Manuela in the Arts District to pick our table and make arrangements for an upcoming Baby Sprinkle. In case you’re scratching your head - a Sprinkle is the micro version of the big baby shower you had for the first kid. :blue_heart:

Complimentary Blackberry Smash Cocktails (i think) - Like a Mojito made w/Bourbon. Very tasty.

Left the car at Manuela and walked to Little Tokyo. You miss so much stuff in the car. In a 15 minute walk we saw art installments, a street jazz concert, my dentist and we pet the police horses, of course, the bustle of Little Tokyo.

Chinchikurin

Takoyaki (octopus balls… not literally)

Crisp, rich, oozy, octopus, smokey, goodness.

Karaage (fried chicken)

Nice crisp, tender, juicy, just the right amount of salty.

Chinchikurinyaki (okonomiyaki (savory pancake))

Hiroshima-style savory pancake, yakisoba noodles (crispy), seasoned ground beef (shioburiyaki), aromatics, cabbage, sprouts, eggs and more. Layers of goodness.

Afterward I wanted to pop in Lette to inquire about Macarons for the Sprinkle, but we got sidetracked by one of Big A’s favorite stores…

Kools

Grandma got a t-shirt

The Sprinkle! Manuela Arts District

We did it Family-style and Vegans ordered from the menu. Pitchers of Bellini. So much food. Everyone happy.

Baked Eggs, Chorizo, Spicy Tomato & Toast

Crispy Polenta, Maitake Ragout, Crème Fraîche

Crispy New Potatoes, Crème Fraîche, Shishitos, Pickled Onions & Horseradish

My Midnight Snack

Magnolia Bakery’s Banana Pudding

Baby Mama & I :heart: this pudding. This is a photo of an individual serving, but Magnolia does it in a big, clear plastic bowl. Just pop off the lid and you have a pretty dessert for your table. Always a hit!

Art, Nature, Activities & Food tucked inside the cool Hauser & Wirth Art Complex. Just a perfect location.

As to be expected when planning there were a couple of snafus. Thankfully they were before the event. It’s how a restaurant handles it that counts. They bent over backwards to make things right, assisting in everything even handling valet parking (they added it to the bill and gave our guests comp tickets). They also prepared a big no-charge meal to take home for Grandpa after the waitstaff accidentally threw out a bunch of food without boxing it. Oh, btw, my menu selections were delicious and compliments were coming for days. :blush:

Later that evening A & I pulled it together and Ubered up to Windsor Hills for a huge party with our peeps on the gumbo circuit. Open bar, DJ, lots of dancing, lots of food, one or two fights. It’s a party! The cops shut us down at 2am, which we middle-aged folks considered a badge of honor! Cute side bar - at these parties there has to be a little Louisiana brass and a “second line” dance. Our generation doesn’t carry handkerchiefs, fans or parasols, so we wave paper towels in the air. This pretty lady gave me permission to post her turning her paper towel handkerchief into a swan pocket square for her man. I’m calling it Creole Origami.

It was a really fun filled month. I’m happily exhausted.

10 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: March 2023 Rundown