November 2019 Rundown

I went during dinner time around 6 though so YMMV if you go during off hours. Chicken was moist and crispy!

3 Likes

Finally made it out to Pizza Wagon. It def lives up to the hype. Cheese was excellent, pesto was sublime. Nice folks serving.

9 Likes

Oh, man, I love Akkad’s eggplant, beef and tomato dish (Tabse Badengan plate).

it may shine brightest during breakfast

Didn’t even know they served breakfast, can’t wait to check it out!

1 Like

If you’re ever in Carson poke plus and poke etc are typical Hawaiian style poke spots worth trying.

2 Likes

uh yes.

A photo at Poke Plus

you’ve been holding out on us

The 8 poke flavors. They only use tuna for the 8 flavors but they have some salmon and octopus.

6 Likes

House Roots, Granada Hills
Best coffee and espresso in all of Los Angeles. They serve beans from my favorite roaster, Heart. Guatemalan gesha pourover ($12) is absolutely fantastic. I hope they sell out soon because I can’t afford to keep buying more cups of this.

Tortas Ahogadas Las Originales, San Fernando
The torta ahogada is porky deliciousness. Very spicy and the heat builds up. Part of the bread was a bit hard but did get softer as the juice soaked in. Maybe I should’ve let it sit for a few minutes. Carne en su jugo was just ok, probably wouldn’t get this again. Tortillas were pretty darn good though. Other popular dishes I saw were the taco rojo de pierna, molcajete, quesadillas, and regular tacos.

Binh Minh, Garden Grove
Meh, I wished we’d just gone to Garlic and Chives next door. It was all edible, just nothing exciting. Pork in the bun cha hanoi was a little dry and the seasoning didn’t quite come together cohesively. Pork sausage was just ok. Noodles themselves were very good though, but I feel like the difference between great and so-so thin rice noodles is just not that significant unlike with fun or even wheat noodles. It was my first time having bun rieu. Tasted homey and oddly plain, but maybe that’s how it’s supposed to be?

Jollibee, Panorama City
One of my favorite desserts, the peach mango pie. It’s deep fried, the way it should be. Filipino spaghetti with fried chicken and gravy. Am I the only one who likes filipino spaghetti? Every time I get someone to try it with ample warning that it is sweet, you would think based on their reaction I gave them some durian or balut.

6 Likes

I had no idea this existed. Why is it sweet?

I don’t know what the origin of the dish is, but they put banana ketchup in the sauce. During the war, they couldn’t get the ingredients to make regular ketchup so some woman figured out a way to make it with bananas. It’s very sweet, but I don’t think anyone tastes the banana in the spaghetti. There’s also cut up filipino hot dogs and ham which are sweet.

4 Likes

Thank you for name dropping Poke Etc! They got a place in Cerritos/Artesia. I love the South Bay but sometimes the drive is annoying getting off and getting to the freeway

3 Likes

In case you want to make it…Filipino Spaghetti Sauce Recipe

1 Like

Did a mini taco crawl south of LA after checking out smorgasborg and a couple of wine places. Had a chicharon taco from burritos la palma was very tasty but the tortilla was not as good as I would hope it to be. Maybe because they weren’t fresh from the la Palma store?

Mariscos jaliscos they leased the building next to the truck so you no longer have to sit on the stoop and you can buy merch. Still the best camaron taco dorado around also not pictured a pescado tostada.

Tacos arabe for a taco arabe they supposedly import the Arab style Mexican flat bread from Puebla filled with savory pork with the avacado and quesillo along with the chipotle sauce.

Not pictured a quesadilla and tacos asada along with a chorizo taco from tire shop. Went at six only had to wait 5 min. So good, smokey meat with hand pressed fluffy tortillas no one in la is doing asada like that schmeared with the guacamole and their excellent green sauce .

Tacos al vapor one labio and two cabeza perfectly steamed at tacos don eve. Both had meatiness that also oozed with a gelatinous texture especially the labio taco.

7 Likes

Chunju Han Il kwan

Budae jigae aka army stew filled with hot dogs, processed sausages and ramen. First time having it so good, partner says restaurant has some of the best plus their banchan are house made and delicious. Partner said kimchi is some the best out there for restaurants in ktown. It’s so prized that they wouldn’t let us take extra kimchi home :sob:

Afterwards bang bang went to the Guatemalan street vending night market at 6th and Bonnie brae. Had the tostada con pollo and a garnache. Tostada con pollo was basically chicken salad with ceviche toppings but it was super good as the chicken salad contrasted well with the cabbage and red onions and the homemade tostada was next level. Really wanted to get the pollo con papas but was told by partner not to be greedy :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

I legit got food poisoning from Mariscos Jalisco’s Poseidon this past Thursday…and no it wasn’t the spiciness of it, my stomach can handle the spiciest of the spice…

Not sure if I want to go back now…just a heads up

1 Like

thats really sad sorry to hear :mask: hope your belly and butt have fully recovered!

Finally here…

Additional info… Got the khao soi and the spicy sausage. Khao soi was lovely. A hint of sweetness initially and then a subtle and comforting savoriness after. Added a squeeze of lime, which reduced that initial sweet hit. Could’ve used more egg noodles. :slight_smile:

The sausage… HOLY COW. The initial spiciness and earthiness is absolutely startling, and once you get over that, the sausages becomes quickly addicting. Certainly not a Thai connoisseur, but I’ve never had anything like these. I would’ve eaten the whole damn bowl, except I was full and don’t enjoy the spicy a$$ burn as much as some of you.

My only regret was going there alone. The other table was a party of 6, and hearing all the stuff they were ordering made me rather envious.

I’m almost never in this area, but I desperately want to try more items here.

11 Likes

Cebuchon rice plate at Hopia Like It in Granada Hills. $10 for a half pound of cebuchon, two scoops of garlic rice, and pickled papaya. With delicious lechon sauce and vinegar sauce. Nutella hopia for dessert.

10 Likes

FTC meet-up?

3 Likes

Knafeh Cafe, Anaheim.

If you ask a Palestinian about knafeh, they will insist that the story begins in Nablus, a city that is referenced when naming of eateries around the world. In the northern part of the West Bank, Nablus is known for food of all ranges and classes and has a culinary history rivaling that of Damascus or Baghdad. Sweets are a big part of Nablus as well, with many vendors spanning generations and preparing their sweets in traditional ways.

Right in the center of Anaheim’s main stretch of Little Arabia on Brookhurst lives one of the best places to soak yourself in the rich history of Nablus and knafeh, at the tiny Knafeh Cafe tucked into a strip mall between an Arabic hair and nail salons. Two neon words can be seen in the window from afar, “Pastries” and “Coffee,” which explain most of the reasons you will have to come.

Opened in 2012 by Asem Abusir, who is the third generation to make knafeh in his family, Anaheim has been able to fall in love with the same recipes that have allowed expansion to many locations in Palestine and Jordan. Opening the door of the small shop is not just about procuring these desserts, it is also reading a love letter sent back to Nablus, which is shown proudly on the walls by posters, paintings, and artifacts.

Traditionally, knafeh is something purchased for a celebration, or eaten when the daily fast ends during Ramadan. A promotion or graduation will always be rewarded with the sweet cheese-y dessert. Need to reconcile after a tough argument? You better bring knafeh with you during the apology.

Here in Anaheim and in Middle Eastern bakeries and sweet shops around the country, knafeh can usually be found as often as you want it, as resources are more plentiful. What will probably be missing though is the use of the white brined cheese of Nablus, which will have to be substituted with what is available.

When a slice of knafeh ($5, above) is served hot, its beautiful cheese layer comes out every side. Before baking, this cheese has been soaked in a sugary syrup or honey, creating a sweet and savory mixture that is perfect when prepared just right. You can get the dish either crispy or soft, with or without a drizzle of syrup on top. (Bring a group of at least four and order a freshly baked sheet, which takes about 10 minutes)

Either way, it is easy to see why Knafeh Cafe has been one of the most popular places to procure this Nablusi sweet since its opening. It is not open in the morning, so come during the afternoon or early evening for a pick me up with their strong coffee to accompany your dessert.

You will see trays of baklava ready to eat as well, but try other more unique finds like balourieh ($5, above), which uses either crushed pistachios or cashews (shown here) between sheets of the stringy knafeh dough. This gives excellent crunch and is drier than other dishes and makes good use of that syrup drizzle.

Often times the shop is run during slow periods by others, but when Mr. Abusir is tending the counter make sure to ask at least one question as this will lead to an afternoon of stories and reminiscing if you have the time.

11 Likes

Hmmm… The problem is, where would we all sit??? There’s the table for six and then a few other scattered seats. And, honestly, I think the place was pretty full just w/ the six! But we can consider. :wink:

1 Like

So glad you liked it @paranoidgarliclover! :slight_smile: Yes their Housemade Sausage is pretty amazing (as is the Khao Soi). :slight_smile: Hope you get to try some other stuff on another visit.

1 Like