November 2019 Rundown

Sorry for the terrible picture but I was taking video by accident. One day I’m buying this.

7 Likes

I know many people have previously mentioned Littlejohns Candies in the Farmers Market for their toffee. I can’t believe I lived in LA for 20 years without this toffee. One of the biggest mistakes I’ve made in the past 2 decades. The toffee is stupentacular. Never getting toffee at Sees or Rocky Mountain ever again. Makes a great gift in the prepackaged boxes. Half pound fits in each box for $14.

15 Likes

the best. having a box around can be very dangerous tho…

8 Likes

Texture changes over time so it’s best to be eaten quickly anyway

2 Likes

Great! Congrats! Worth it?

Edit: I guess I should’ve finished reading the thread before posting. I need to get a move on this sandwich!

Nice!!!

Bookmarking!

I eat it about once a week now. Go during off peak hours. I wouldn’t wait more than 15 mins all in. I think it’s the best of the sub-$5 chicken sandwiches.

2 Likes

Nooo! I hope you told them!

yes Northern Thai sausage is amazing and full of kaffir lime leaf. I’ve been eating it at Pailin and Spicy BBQ for a long time. Can’t get enough. Next to do try their larb and jackfruit salad with sticky rice. And the Hanglay curry of course

1 Like

droooool :drooling_face:

1 Like

Went to Porridge and Puffs for the first time after the LA Auto Show yesterday (esp after seeing @hppzz’s post).

Fermented tea salad, 2 specials (chicken and mochi dumplings; pork roulade porridge), and the brown-butter/miso mochi. All delicious.

Portion size was just fine; this is food you savor, not food you stuff into your mouth as quickly as possible.

Strongly suggest tasting each component of the salad individually (cucumber w/ dressing and blistered grapes were AMAZING) b/f mixing. The rice porridge by itself is very savory and rich (but not overly so), and all of the entree dishes were just incredibly well balanced in terms of fat and acid. Pea shoots were a wonderful touch. @SpockSpork thought the gravy w/ the chicken and dumplings was some of the best he had ever tasted (but texture was smooth and relatively light).

Brown butter mochi is VERY rich (and more than enough for 2 people). Savory and umami at the first hit and then a sweet (but not cloying) finish. Only nitpick is that the pork itself wasn’t anything particularly special (but the filling was great).

This is elevated Asian comfort food and fusion in the best way possible, IMHO. The interesting ingredients and flavor combos enhance the dishes and aren’t just self-consciously hip/trendy touches.

Would happily go again. Service is also very good; they explain the dishes just like a fine-dining restaurant. :slight_smile:

16 Likes

What an eating & drinking life you have! Fabulous.

One of the most magical sentences I’ve ever read.

So pretty. Blue is my favorite color. What’s in it?

It’s a type of tea (tisane?) from a blue pea flower often called blue butterfly tea seems to be on trend at the moment

1 Like

What on earth? So he’s not only crazy, he’s crazy.

Sorry about L2E. No stink on the stink beans… hmmm. The pandan custard looks delish. The artificial color they’re using is beautiful. :grin:

I did not expect that answer. How lovely!

I know. Crazy. I had it the first time about a year ago. :yum:

2 Likes

I had moo deng and boat noodles this week and they were comforting. But ya, it’s not the best