November 2020 Rundown

Those are some great places to miss.

Until they opened for outdoor dining, and until I developed the balls to eat at a restaurant, I sure missed Zacatecas.

Pretty underrated. The service is great!

Hope you can get up there again soon!

2 Likes

El Grito food truck in Lennox (el_grito_ on IG), Asada Super Quesadilla with mushrooms, zucchini, and corn, pretty good

First time having famous Patisserie Chantilly, black sesame cream puff and cheesecake, very nice

7 Likes

I do love those short rib taquitos, I always get them! And their outdoor seating arrangement is quite spacious.

1 Like

:sob::sob::sob: so craving some @ilromanista right now

5 Likes

Il romanista announced they were working on a new project so fingers crossed!

7 Likes

Was in SF over the weekend and stopped by Al’s Place. One of my favorite restaurants in the Bay Area. Singular is the wrong word but it’s what comes to mind. All the dishes seem so similar, especially when looking at pictures, but the highlights and accents are exact and meticulous.

Grilled quince, yogurt, carrot top schug, white pepper puff

Shelling bean broth chawanmushi, fuji apple, pistachio

Brine pickled French fries, smoked apple sauce & Radishes, peanut butter butter, salt & crispy duck parts, Meyer lemon, fermented black bean mayo (some parts already picked at)

Spicy mapo burrata, bok choy, parsnip + pineapple skin mayo

Baby lettuces, herbed avocado, pistachio crumble

Artichoke dip, fried brussels sprouts, yeasted apples, flax seed crunch (bite taken)

Pear curry, black-lime cod, winter squash, poha berry (my first serving from the share bowl)

King salmon, spiced yogurt broth, burnt garlic oil, persimmon

Ribeye, quince-kimchi butter, burnt maple saba

Tagliatelle, lamb bacon, broccoli, giardiniera, goat’s milk gouda

Extruded zucca, British curried squash, radicchio, parmesan

Meyer lemon curd, fig tart, lavender ice cream

Cookie fingers, snickerz sauce, peanut butter meringue

Limed strawbs, matcha rice pudding, black lime puff

10 Likes

We went and canvassed for the election in Las Vegas this past weekend, and stopped at Suzuya Patisserie, a Japanese bakery on our drive back to LA. I was hoping they would have slices of their mille crepe cakes, but they didn’t have any unfortunately :frowning:

I got a custard cream puff and a half-size (4") green tea roll cake. Don’t remember the cost of the cream puff but the roll cake was $15.

Custard cream puff. Pretty good! Cream filling was light and airy. No craquelin on this and not too sweet.

The green tea roll cake was really tasty. It had a red bean flavored cream filling with some red bean paste throughout. Topped with a salted caramel macaron, decorative chocolate and crunchy clusters (I think these were chopped almonds with sugar and kinako?) around the sides. The matcha flavor wasn’t strong or bitter compared to other matcha desserts I’ve had. It was rather muted. The sponge itself was soft and not dry. Neither the matcha frosting or the red bean filling was too sweet. All in all, delicious. I ate the macaron by itself and the cookies were nicely chewy although the caramel ganache was a lot sweeter than the rest of the elements of the cake.

They also serve packaged Japanese-style sandwiches, and I got an egg salad sandwich as a snack for the road. No picture, but the milk bread was very soft and fluffy and the egg salad was totally serviceable.

18 Likes

I know what that is, thanks to Great British Bake Off! :smiley:

Thank you for your good work!

4 Likes

@Take_da_sushi

Superb Platinum box. Perfectly seasoned and cut.

11 Likes

First time at King’s Hawaiian Bakery, thanks to everyone here who has posted info about it.

Lilikoi Crunch and Pineapple Matcha mochi donuts, nice flavor and texture, would try again.

Coconut Pineapple and Paradise cheesecakes, not bad, worth trying at least once. The Coconut Pineapple is probably the better of the two, reminds me of eating Thrifty ice cream in the 90s. Kinda curious about their regular paradise cake version though.

13 Likes

I like the paradise cake better than the paradise cheesecake… my favorite is the paradise Angelfood cake. It’s great to fancy up for partities with fresh fruit and homemade creme anglaise.

3 Likes

BBR

PRD

Hainan Chicken

Still slaps. So happy that they’re doing a ton of business and still able to maintain a high quality, perfectly cooked product.

IMG_5542

Bar Ama

Chicken Tamales

This was just a weekend special for Halloween, but it’s something that I’d wish they’d offer more regularly. Not that I don’t like the enchiladas (they’re great!) but I do miss the variety of Bar Ama’s beforetimes menu.

IMG_5534

IMG_5535

Laroolou

Salted Cookies and Cream Thiccie

Steps from PRD, I decided to check out Laroolou having seen some interesting things on the gram. Of course, the cookie was calling to me, and after just hearing Ted Lasso distill down “cookies and cream” so eloquently (“two great tastes that go great together”) I saw it as a sign. This 7 ounce (!!!) cookie fully lives up to its name, this thing is thicc. Digging in though, its crisp edges, big chunks of oreo cream, and barely cooked center reveal it to be equally delicious. It does taste like a giant oreo that’s got way more cream than should be legal. Heads up: I placed my order around 12:30 on Saturday and they only had a couple left with other items already being shown as sold out, so be sure to order ahead! The folks behind the stall were also so super friendly and I’m looking forward to trying some of their other items.

IMG_5543

IMG_5544

Hayato

Bento

Best bite watch: snow crab tofu takes it this time.

IMG_4401

16 Likes

Damn those cookies tho…

3 Likes

how was it?

Was really good. I would order again if the location was more convenient for me. I would say it’s the best version I’ve had in Socal, but not as good as the ones I had in Hanoi.

I don’t think charcoal was used to cook the pork.

2 Likes

@rlw i missed out on those tamales they looked delicious. I too miss the full Bar Ama menu.

This weekend I picked up the Crab Cake Sando from Orsa & Winston. My favorite so far of the three Sandos he’s done. And of course the Rice Pudding. Hot damn

15 Likes

I need this! Hopefully it sticks around another week :grimacing:

2 Likes

Amazing al fresco dining experience at the Arcadia Capital Seafood today.

2 Likes

What did u order?

I was joking about where our table was setup.