November 2021 Rundown

I’ve learned to request at least the medium spice level over at Simpang Asia, and I have a very low tolerance for heat. Think the heat levels may have been adjusted for Westside tastes.

I recently had Indo food from Banana Leaf over in Temple City. Damn, it was spicy. Made me feel alive.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips! I’ll just ask for the dishes spicier next time and I’ll also go try Banana Leaf one of these days.

@hungryhungryhippos The Taco Nazo shrimp torta is so good! We got a mix of fish, shrimp, and potato tacos, too.
Since it was warm, we tried the fish ceviche…which tasted more like a lime-y tuna salad than ceviche. I’ve gotten the mixed before and that was way more successful.
Maybe we just stick to the tacos, burritos and nachos we usually order.

4 Likes

Was driving by Ruby BBQ in Rosemead the other day and on a whim decided to stop and grab a pound for a quick snack. There’s a park near the river and bike trail only a quarter mile away, good place to settle in and enjoy before moving on.

Still good as ever, but up to $25/lb now

16 Likes

Butter pecan (even better than thrifty’s)

5 Likes

Always solid! Meat prices aren’t going down.

4 Likes

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: Hanchic. - Koreatown / Westlake

Sonoratown

Chicken & beef chivichangas:

Chorizo tacos:

Carne asada caramelo:

Koh Ruessei Cambodian Restaurant in Long Beach

Anchovy steak:

House special chicken:

Lemongrass chicken:

Fried rice:

23 Likes

@thechez5 you are back with a vengeance. Welcome back to the board.

9 Likes

Hahah, thank you! I think I’m overcompensating for eating from only takeout boxes and cooking for like a year or so, now that I’ve been vaxxed and boosted. :sweat_smile:

13 Likes

What’s anchovy steak?

I am assuming it’s what Cambodians call prahok?

Menu photo from Yelp:

Oops, it’s “beef anchovies”, not “anchovy steak”.

2 Likes

Hard to beat the birria quesadilla at BLP.

8 Likes

Super tortas df- Rusa torta pierna, milanesa, jamon goes great with their chile salsa with chipotle and pineapples. Best tortas in the city so good

Bang banged with a Damian dinner.

14 Likes

Corner Beef Noodle House - El Monte

Half meat half tendon beef noodle soup :heart_eyes: - still awesome, the tendon was cooked to perfection with the narrow pieces meltingly tender while the large piece with a little bite. The noodles were excellent and I love their side of greens, make sure to ask for more. And the workers couldn’t be nicer.

Does anyone know what that green condiment is that they serve at Taiwanese spots? And where I can buy it if possible?

They also bottle and sell their XO sauce if anyone is interested. Price is $30 or so, apparently they put a lot of scallop into their sauce which is why the price is high. It probably makes about 4 dishes worth of XO noodles.

Darrow’s New Orleans Grill - Carson

Soft shell crab po’boy :heart_eyes: - order this and add with hot sauce. @CiaoBob

Myungrang Hot Dog - Buena Park

#7 squid ink & mozzarella hot dog - very crispy, not bad however the hotdog tasted like pork and the mozzarella didn’t have much flavor. I think next time I’ll opt for the jumbo beef hot dog with potato. It was cooked very well and not greasy.

Tacos a Cabron - East Los Angeles

Carne asada, chorizo and al pastor tacos - get the asada, it rivals Tire Shop although I give Tire Shop the edge because of the prominent smoke flavor.

Memela con asada - this was pretty damn good, masa filled with beans with one side having green salsa and the other having red salsa. The salsa is pretty spicy.

Plato de costilla - and what I came here for, the ribs cooked over mesquite charcoal. Pretty decent with nice mesquite flavor but a little too chewy and a bit dry.

Little Coyote - Long Beach

Meatball millionaire pizza :heart_eyes::heart_eyes: - if they have this on special, get it. They use their delicious meatballs from the sub on the pizza and each ingredient made for a well balance assortment of flavors. And the crust is just perfection, the perfect amount of flavor, chew and crunch.

Also order an Italian sub, because it is my favorite in all of SoCal right now. Yeah I said it. Order a side of Calabrian chilis to add more spicy flavor, although it is a little spicy as is.

Banh Xeo Boys - Stanton

Pandan horchata is by far one of the best things to get at Rodeo Public Market. Not sure why the banh xeo is so greasy and lackluster now…

17 Likes

Probably zha cai or suan cai, pickled mustard greens. You could find it at 99 ranch, don’t know if it’s as good as what they give you at the restaurant though since maybe it’s home made :person_shrugging:?

3 Likes

You can also order it from The Mala Market, Yibin Yacai (Suimiyacai, Preserved Mustard Stem), Set of 2 - The Mala Market. They are sold out of zha cai right now. It’s a great place to order from.

3 Likes

I stopped by Burger She Wrote on Beverly today. Snake river farms wagyu smash burgers. Place is always moving. Don Nguyen is involved and I’ve seen tons of skaters there in instagram posts.

But I wasn’t ready for fuckin Tony Hawk to roll through

The burger and fries were bomb though a touch salty for me. I’ll be back

20 Likes

Wow that dude really does look like Tony Hawk

6 Likes

:joy: funniest shit was someone was like who is that? And the cashier was like it’s Tony Hawk, he’s a famous skater

1 Like