November 2022 Rundown

Jade noodles (double protein style) to go, from Sapp Coffee Shop (Thai Town)… Pairs great with their longan juice, easy ice!

13 Likes

Wat Thai Temple - North Hollywood

Moo ping :heart_eyes:

Shrimp pad Thai :heart_eyes:

Duck noodle soup :heart_eyes::heart_eyes: wtf, the broth was delicious!

Also (not pictured) the e-san sausage which is so delicious eaten with the cabbage, Thai chili, ginger and sticky rice. :heart_eyes:

Tendon Tempura Carlos Jr

Tamagoyaki w/ oroshi

Deluxe tendon w/ extra nori :heart_eyes:

Dat rice with egg and spicy condiment :heart_eyes:

20 Likes

Yangmani in Rowland Heights. The original branch is in Koreatown. Very high quality meats. Good banchan selection. They are known for their intestines but the meats and pork were excellent. We’ve heard of this
place through many friends who say it’s their favorite KBBQ place. I’d put it up there with anybody. Good mix of intestines, meat, pork and supposedly they bought the DTLA Ong Ga Nae. The stewed bulgogi with the glass noodles, mushrooms and vegetables are a carbon copy. Everything was really good. The abomasums (4th stomach) was fantastic. Everybody enjoyed the tongue, pork belly and brisket. Highly recommend.

13 Likes

I’ve seen worse ideas for Thanksgiving dinner.

5 Likes

I’ve got to say that HK style with sticky rice is my favorite Thanksgiving turkey prep.

2 Likes

Thanksgiving spicy galbijiim ala Sun Nong Dan no blowtorch

6 Likes

They have those on the east coast?

1 Like

They do but it doesn’t look as good as SND in LA.

I made that.

Soaked the ribs.
Clean the ribs.
Make a stock. (Daikon, garlic, scallion, ginger, peppercorns).
Strain the stock.
Make the galbijiim sauce.
Pour the galbijim sauce onto the ribs and add water.
Boil.
Add carrots, and potatoes.
Boil.
Add rice cakes.
Slow cooker until tender.

PAIN IN THE ASS!

5 Likes

Ahhhh I misread I thought you got it from sun nong Dan. Looks great and happy thanksgiving!

1 Like

Pizzeria sei

I feel like the hype has died down from its original fever pitch, but this pizza is still some of the best in the city. Stopped by at 3pm no wait Sergio was in the house.

So good!

18 Likes

Tempura tendon Carlos jr.
Went there Wednesday before tgiving and they were packed.
Tendon and tempura are crunchy light well fried and that sauce is addictive. Tempura egg was perfectly runny. I probably could eat a tendon bowl daily. Wife also got soba which seemed overcooked.

15 Likes

takeout? how did it travel?

I ate it immediately in the car. Total travel time 30 seconds from restaurant to car lol.

I don’t think it would travel very well since it is relatively soupy.

5 Likes

Brooklyn eats if anyone cares to read/see

Sunset Park Chinatown.
Patisserie Tomoko and Bonnie’s in Williamsburg

8 Likes

Need recs for austin so I can post ala @JeetKuneBao in the December rundown!

6 Likes

Family Movie Night!

A group of us went to Hollywood Bl to walk around, do the tourist thing & watch WAKANDA FOREVER at TCL Chinese Theatre formerly Grauman’s Chinese Theatre.

Afterward…

Mariachis & Flaming Margaritas at El Compadre

Very sweet.

Nice & Spicy

Fresh Salad w/the good kind of Ranch. Yes there’s a good kind! Don’t get me started.

Gallina en Mole “Estilo Puebla”

I haven’t been to El Compadre in years, but I remembered liking their chicken mole. That hasn’t changed. Instead of a chicken breast with sauce poured on top - as unfortunately too many places do - this chicken is tender, braised in the sauce for a bit almost guisado-style. Comes with corn or flour tortillas. It’s a huge plate of food and hubs & I split it. I didn’t try to reach across the table to snap photos of other peeps’ food, but everyone proclaimed their satisfaction with the meal and the day.

Happy Family Time!

15 Likes

same here - and I do not recall live music when I did.

2 Likes

Hi @CiaoBob

Yah, they’ve always had mariachis at night (possibly not everyday) and good ones according to a few musician friends. The difference now is modernity - younger, no costumes and there’s a girl! plus I heard a few contemporary songs mixed in. Fun time. :piñata:

2 Likes

MeloMelo along Sawtelle. A place that uses real taro!!! Pricing is a bit precious, but they are serving it in a glass jar (you can turn in 10 jars for a free something-or-other). And I thought it was pretty delicious.

https://www.melomelo.us

3 Likes

Speaking of taro is Seafood Palace still serving that Chiu Chow taro paste dessert? It’s one of the best desserts ever.

1 Like