November 2022 Rundown

Yukun Shaobing.

Hole in the wall stall in a hole in a wall “mall”. Shandong place specializing in shaobing.

Featuring NYC pigeon. Roosevelt x Main is insane

These would be spectacular if they were piping hot out of the oven. No pics but the underboob was slightly golden. Got the mei cai pork, 3 flavors (wood ear, bamboo, ???), and black pepper beef. I like the black pepper beef the most. Onions, beef, and black pepper. Next stall over is Joe’s Steamed Rice Rolls. Like LA some of the best food in Queens are in these hole in the walls

15 Likes

@JeetKuneBao never made it to this spot but I have these on the other side in Chinese town on my daily run very often, hot right out of the oven!! I forgot the name but it’s one of the tiny shops in the corner.

*Craving!!! Need a warm bun thing for today!!

2 Likes

Fu Yuan

Chee Cheong Fun with trifecta sauces and curry fish balls.

Cuppa Tea. HK Milk Tea and bolo yau

9 Likes

I am out of comfort zone here…and it’s awesome!

Jackson Heights under the 7 train El

Crazy how Queens goes from Flushing to Jackson Heights and it’s another world. This area Jackson Heights/Corona is almost all Spanish-speaking people’s from all over Latin America.

Some sweet Ecuadorian grandma insisted I have this coconut drink. It’s delicious!

Encebollado de pescado. Tuna, onions, I think yucca or potatoes. Hearty and comforting.

Going to explore more! Good to practice my shitty Spanish. Luckily Spanish speakers are pretty forgiving when they see my Asian face lol

12 Likes

They say Queens is the most linguistically diverse place in the world with something like 200 different dialects spoken in Queens. The variety and breadth of different cuisines by neighborhood was wild when I grew up there and can only imagine how much more it’s expanded in the last decade. Looks like some good eating.

6 Likes

Flushing/Jackson Heights/Corona/Elmhurst/Woodside is probably the most interesting and exiting place to eat imho.
The Chowhounding can go pretty deep.

I would compare that stretch of neighborhoods to Koreatown, Thai Town/East Hollywood, Pico Union/MacArthur Park in Los Angeles….Korean, Thai, Mexican, Salvadoran, Guatemalan, Armenian all representing.

4 Likes

Hanoi House, EV

Damn this is some really good PHO! Adding the bone marrow and just a splash of the garlic vinegar was perfect. It’s PHO weather.

I had to do the Empire State Building lol. Felt like Disneyland. Nice view but my ears were going to fall off from the cold ass wind

15 Likes

Shaking Beef.

Tasty but where is the garlic (needs more garlic flavor) and butter in the sauce? Where is the red rice? Why the chopsticks? Where is my lime/pepper/salt dipping sauce?

There is a guy eating pho with his napkins tucked in his shirt eating with a fork lmao du ma

10 Likes

Relying on you to single-handedly revive the NYC subboard here - will join you next year.

2 Likes

I am not sure why these posts don’t get posted there - I love them but it’s confusing AF to have them all over the LA Region Board @robert

4 Likes

I encourage you to keep on posting on the monthly rundowns it’s great to see a different part of the country!

5 Likes

Not to backseat moderate, but rundown I think is fair game for nationwide posting - I don’t think any of the other subboards have the activity to sustain more.

4 Likes

Yeah, people have been posting to these LA-category rundown topics from wherever for a long time.

2 Likes

I like @JeetKuneBao’s posts here, as others have mentioned, there’s not a lot of action on the sub-boards. But I do think it might be really useful/helpful/whatever to have a link on the NYC board (for regulars and newbies who might be randomly looking for info for the area)?

I made a “dummy” thread there for hyperlinking (so maybe on-going threads about other places could have a hyperlink for cross referencing?). It doesn’t take too many more steps (IMHO).

JeetKuneBao’s NYC (and nearby) eats

6 Likes

While we’re on the NYC subject @JeetKuneBao you know anything about The Ocky Way?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CkuIF2JvFjO/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Is this as influencer-cringey as it seems or is this guy at all legit?

1 Like

Have a 6p res for 2 tomorrow at paella concept I won’t be able to use. Anyone want it? $55pp and I already paid $40 so you’re looking at $70 for the below menu.

2 Likes

Holbox is :heart:

21 Likes

Quan an 909, Garden Grove, all things :goat:
Best goat curry, and the accompanied baguette is phenomenally fluffy.
Goat hot pot is great for sharing.
This is cật dê cháy tỏi:

17 Likes

Jade noodles (double protein style) to go, from Sapp Coffee Shop (Thai Town)… Pairs great with their longan juice, easy ice!

13 Likes

Wat Thai Temple - North Hollywood

Moo ping :heart_eyes:

Shrimp pad Thai :heart_eyes:

Duck noodle soup :heart_eyes::heart_eyes: wtf, the broth was delicious!

Also (not pictured) the e-san sausage which is so delicious eaten with the cabbage, Thai chili, ginger and sticky rice. :heart_eyes:

Tendon Tempura Carlos Jr

Tamagoyaki w/ oroshi

Deluxe tendon w/ extra nori :heart_eyes:

Dat rice with egg and spicy condiment :heart_eyes:

20 Likes