[NPR] David Chang and Ugly Delicious

Restaurant equipment is designed on the assumption that you have drains in the floor.

I’m reseouceful - I don’t need that guest bathroom anyway.

1 Like

I’ve come to the conclusion that david Chang is triggered by italian food and discussions of authenticity.

1 Like

Meh. Soapy sponge in one hand to scrub, towel in the other to catch drips. If you want to get fancy, finish by spraying with a disinfectant (bleach) and wipe off.

The pain in the ass is remembering to oil the butcher block often enough.

It’s more whether you like the look.

I extended my countertops by buying metro shelving at the correct height and width. Then I purchased butcher block counter tops from Ikea. I cut them to size and laid them on top of the wire racks. If mostly use cutting boards, but if it’s a really big job, now I have the space to stretch out.

I was surprised by this. but as I think somebody mentioned upthread, this explains a lot about his menu choices (and other decisions) for his new LA restaurant.

I understand it. I get triggered by “my favorite food is pizza” people. Which is not to say Italian food is basic, but basic people love Italian by default of everything else being too foreign/exotic.And I’m not talking about something like Italian food like Tripe Di Calabria.

I mean there’s italian food and then there’s pizza.

I found the New Orleans episode very interesting. Had no idea viet cajun was taking over the world - loved the thought of viet cajun going from NO → Houston → Vietnam → Houston. I also found the resistance to viet cajun in NO fascinating, and loved Chang’s point that Vietnamese food is basically fusion cuisine.

1 Like

i thought the VIet Cajun started in Houston. The original Boiling Crab was from Houston right?

I think Vietnamese fishermen in New Orleans might have come up with the idea and made it at home, but Houston was where it went commercial.

I thought the family was from NO but apparently from some other TX city not named Houston. I fixed my post.