NYC trip 2016. anything else to add to this list?

Lechonera La Pirana
152nd St Wales Ave, Bronx, NY 10455

Lechon con arroz y grandules
Alcapuria

+1, Jiro for 1/2 the price and you get to hang around for more than 25mins…

Fancy white table cloth Alsatian food Gabriel Kreuther

Not close to your hotels… Yopparai Sake Bar but something w/o LA equiv.if you’re into sake

1 Like

Since it looks like you’re really going for a NY pizza extravaganza, I would highly, highly recommend Lucali in Brooklyn. It was my favorite pizza in NYC, and it’s a different style from Don Antonio / Keste / Motorino (Neopolitan style) or Di Fara (NYC slice). Joe’s (in NYC, not LA - blech), would be a pretty decent place to check out a NYC slice given their high turnover, which guarantees hot slices in the evenings.

You already mentioned Eataly, but specifically within Eataly, I really loved the roast beef sandwich at La Rosticceria (only available lunchtimes on M - Sat), and Il Pesce for the seafood crudo. That roast beef sandwich is literally the last meal I ate in NYC before moving out to LA, and I still crave it to this very day.

Speaking of Eataly, and since it looks like you’re willing to schlep for Epicerie Boulud, I recommend Despana in Soho - it’s like a miniature version of Eataly, except for Spanish food. You can sit in and casually eat tapas / pinxtos or Spanish paninis, and they have the most ridiculous selection of jamon and Spanish cheese this side of the Atlantic (including the ~$200/lb jamon iberico de bellota).

Porthos already made an excellent suggestion regarding checking out additional Italian, and Osteria Morini is a fantastic choice. However, that would mean you’re trying out two restaurants in the Michael White empire :slight_smile: I really liked Esca at 43rd and 9th - it’s a Batali / Pasternack / Bastianich restaurant, but it’s seafood focused. Think uni pasta and crudo (LOVED the razor clam crudo). I know you’re able to get seafood pasta at Marea, but Marea’s cooking is more robust and heavy-handed while Esca is more subtle (but not less flavorful).

Don’t know if you’re into it, but I like high-end Indian in NYC (vs. LA). It’s not London or Mumbai, but I still really liked some of the restaurants. Junoon is near Madison Sq Park (Eataly).

For steak, others have mentioned Peter Luger as the best. I agree, but if you can’t make it there, I would check out Keen’s Steakhouse, which is close to your 218 W 35th location. It’s an institution that’s been around over 100 years and would be a great experience.

Lastly, having scoured all of NYC for the best sushi for the better part of 10 years (and having especially mourned 15 East Chef Masato Shimizu’s departure to Bangkok), and then having spent the last couple years in LA hunting down sushi, I would personally disagree with the others and say that if you’ve been to Mori, you don’t need to try the NYC sushi places. If anything, I would try traditional Kaiseki (I loved Kyo Ya; I also heard great things about Rosanjin but have never been).

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll take a look at those.

I just came back from Mumbai so my desire for Indian food is nil.

“I have Monday in Brooklyn but my hotel seems pretty far away from all the action…need to rectify that….As of right now, 181 3rd Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11217. That might change in a few hours”

The above puts you in the newly relatively trendy Gowanus neighborhood. It has a bunch of restaurants and bars along & off 3rd Ave that are hitting the radar these days, although (in my opinion) nothing of destination status. However, in one direction, you are only a couple of blocks from Park Slope &, in the other direction, you can walk to Smith St. Both of these are full of choices. There are a few subway lines very near you so you can get around easily and the new Barclay Center is only a 5 minute walk – several subway lines converge there, including the one that’d get you to DiFara’s (if that’s still on your list). Its not nice looking immediate area, but not bad these days.

You say that you’ll be in Bklyn on a Monday. Just be aware that a lot of restaurants close that day (DiFara is closed). If you want more details or info. on Bklyn hotels, etc., feel free to contact me off the board (don’t want to take up space here for hotel or neighborhood info) at martinowitz@aol.com

One of the most memorable seafood pasta dishes I’ve had in Manhattan is the Chilean sea bass ragu with tagliolini at Basta Pasta.

Contra

And second Peter Luger’s. That burger is the real deal.

one more y’all - need foodie gift suggestions from NYC to bring back to people?

ie if someone were coming to CA and asked for food gift suggestions, I’d recommend Little Johns Toffee - something only found in Cali (let’s ignore shipping for a minute), travels well, and lasts a little while.

The obvious one would be Katz pastrami. But that’s too easy.

If it were me, I’d opt for the belly lox at Russ & Daughters.

@Ns1 - That is such a good topic. The know-it-all in me is jealous I don’t have answers. I was born in NYC, but haven’t been in years. I can’t wait for replies.

Crack pie (on the sweet side, great with coffee)
Murrays bagels
Murrays cream cheese
Katz pastrami
Doughnut Plant tres leches
Kossar’s bialys (right next door to Doughnut Plant)
Jacques Torres cookies, especially the chocolate chip
Levain bakery chocolate peanut butter chip cookie

2 Likes

crack pie is a pretty damn good idea

William greenberg black and white cookies

You may be en route or already there, but here’s a lil (long) recap of my trip to NYC this past week. I got inspired by your parade of pizza options and decided to use that as a guide to make my way through the city. Luckily I had my brother alongside to split most everything, so it wasn’t as gluttonous as it may seem, but it was still pretty dang gluttonous. Walked pretty much everywhere, so it kinda evened out?

I’d been to NYC only once before and mostly had to work that trip, so this time I went for gold.

In chronological order:

• Don Antonio - Got Antonio Starita’s Specialty Pizza. So good. The dough is almost doughnuty. There’s a sweetness to it that I didn’t expect.
  • Grumpy Coffee - Nice flat white. Good spot for coffee in the area.
  • Marea - Decided to just try pastas and split the Fusilli (octopus & bone marrow), Carciofi Risotto (artichoke, crawfish, mushroom) and a third that I can’t recall. Really delicious. Comforting and hearty but still delicate. Actually came back for lunch on accident and got the Astice (lobster/burrata) and Trompetti (bolognese). Wonderful.
  • Fuku - Oh shlit this was awesome. Juicy and a bit funky. Incredible with the Ssam sauce. Insane.
  • Milkbar - Just a bit up the street from Fuku. I made the crack pie at home recently, so I wanted to compare. Tasty. Also had a birthday cake truffle. Damnnn.
  • Apothéke - Speakeasy in Chinatown. Solid cocktail but I’ve had better for way cheaper.
  • Prince St. Pizza - Spicy Spring. Nice bite to their square pieces. The pepperonis were crispy and flavorful.
  • La Ferrara - Canoli. It was a fine canoli.
  • Raines Law Room - Another speakeasy. This one had some really great cocktails. Cool space too. Thought everyone there was super nice and it was a relaxing atmosphere.
  • Halal Guys Food (Original) - Got the combo plate with additional falafel. So much freaking food, but I ate it all. Sauces were really great and thought the chicken was the standout.
  • Amali - Found this on the Eater NY’s list of “38 Essential NYC Restaurants.” It was in the area that I needed to stay in for dinner, so gave it a go. Lot of great wines. The greek ones were interesting. The faro salad was the best dish of the night. Solid as a rock. I had the “cooked under a brick” chicken that the waiter said was their #1 dish, and it was good. Carrot cake at the end was spectacular. Overall, if you’re in the area, good place with good energy and food, and you can get same-day reservations.
  • NY Suprema Pizza - Regular slice. This was probably my favorite thin crust/huge slice. Piping hot out of the oven, cheese was greasy and super flavorful. Sauce was bright. Crust had a great crunch.
  • Katz’s Deli - Was really looking forward to this. Loved being there. The sandwich is great. Though, I would say Langer’s > Katz’s. I felt like the Katz’s bread game was a bit weak. (Note: edited to correct Katz’s name)
  • Williamsburg Pizza - If you’re already close by, stop in. Otherwise, I wouldn’t go out of my way. The regular slice was really good still, if not destination-worthy.
  • Forrest Point - A neighborhood bar that feels like where they’d shoot an ep of Sex And The City when the gals head to Brooklyn as Carrie chases a young hipster beau. Still, had a milkpunch cocktail that was mighty fine. Almost tea-like.
  • Strangeways - Coffee shop in Bushwick. Great coffee. Unpretentious.
  • Peter Luger’s - Went for the famed lunch burger special. If you’re going alone or with one other, you should be able to get a spot at the bar. Otherwise it was a 45min wait. We got the burger medium rare and boy was it rare. Didn’t seem like a mistake since the lady next to us got steak and ordered med. rare as well and it looked similar. Still really good. Fun place for a lunch and martini.
  • Keste Vino & Pizza - Loved this pizza. Wonderful flavor and texture. I probably prefer the soupier style, but this was a mu’fuckin treat.
  • Dominique Ansel’s Bakery - Didn’t anticipate stoping by since I didn’t reserve a cronut but walked by and figured “WHATEVER.” The madelines were nice and that frozen smore thing is good but too rich for my pizza blood. Probably wouldn’t feel the need to wait in that long line again.
  • Roberta’s Pizza - Maybe my favorite pizza that I had. Got the margherita and the bee sting. Both were on the highway to the tasty zone. Definitely worth it. I would recommend ordering at the to-go counter next door and sit outside with a beer.
  • Parlor Coffee - This place in Williamsburg that’s in the back of a barber shop served up the best flat white I’ve ever had. The texture was frothy and silky and the milk/espresso mixed together so dang well. Incredible.
  • Smorgasbourg - Such a great setting with the city skyline in the background. The longest line was for MofonGo, a Puerto Rican pork & mashed plantain bowl. It probably wasn’t worth the wait, but I was glad to have tried it.
  • Shake Shack - As fate would have it, my flight’s gate was right next to the airport Shake Shack and as Moses parted the Red Sea, so too did the gods favor me this day, as there was absolutely no line. I ordered the Shakeburger and Concrete. Holy lord. It was like a perfect burger. It was my first time trying it, so that may have something to do with my bliss, but it was a grand event. Had two bites of the concrete. Liked it, but it was just too much.

If you’re still reading, I commend you. Overall, one heck of a trip. Thanks for all those who added recommendations to this thread. Really appreciate it.

10 Likes

Winner!

Great report and thanks for the rundown!

OMG thanks for doing the work for me. Basically hit up most of the places I wanted to go to as well as a few classics.

And yes the Katz bread is a crime against sandwiches.

Great report back @President_Mochi

@President_Mochi, Nice report! Glad you had an enjoyable time. Btw, for the sake of accuracy, it’s Katz’s(you left out the “z”).

My blog
My Flickr

Fuzz! Thanks for the heads up. I’ll edit my post to get this right.

No, thank you. I stole your list with no shame. I wish I could have tried some of the great looking sushi places that you included. I really wanted to go to Yasuda & Nakazawa, but they just weren’t in the cards. Same with Torishin. Had to save some for next time, I s’pose.

Hope you have a great trip!

1 Like