OC Weekly best of

https://ocweekly.com/best-of-2019/food-drink/#editorial

https://ocweekly.com/best-of-2019/food-drink/#readers

The editorial staff did a decent job on the beer side other than the cop out of best beer selection being 10 breweries. Readers chose international conglomerate owned Ballast Pt and Golden Road for 2 of the best local breweries. Editorial staff loves Leadbelly BBQ (surprisingly decent meal recently) vs. Heritage by the readers.

Some real head scratchers on both sides of the aisle for sure. Din Tai Fung best dim sum?

1 Like

A couple of head scratchers but not bad overall. Much better than OC Register list.

The surprises from the editors
New Moon best Chinese
Sushi Noguchi best sushi
Wingstop best wings

The best North OC Brewery is either Green Cheek or Bottle Logic.
The best steak is the Ranch.

1 Like

Capital Seafood has the best dim sum? Ha

Where do you recommend on the OC? Tim Ho Wan (Vegas’s location is better than Irvine’s) and Seafood Cove 2 are good but not great.

JZhou is the best dim sum in OC

4 Likes

I was just and BCD Tofu next to Tim Ho Wan and that place is pretty much lost all hype after people actually ate there. The hordes are all back at J Zhou.

2 Likes

Reader polls have always been more about name recognition and popularity than quality. In recent years they’ve gotten even worse since they’re so easily gamed by social media.

1 Like

Sushi Noguchi (Yorba Linda)

It’s been included and lauded as one of OC’s best sushi places. I hadn’t been back in ages and had some free time, so off for a leisurely lunch.

Blue crab, sunomono, kelp - lovely plating but the crab was a touch fishy

Hamachi

Maguro, otoro, hotate, SB spot prawn - the prawn so fresh that the head was twitching long after the plate had been presented. The otoro was a bit gristly

Fried spot prawn head - always gonna have it fried when given the option. Loved that it was just right and so good it just needed a squeeze of lemon.

Kinmedai, Tai, (can’t remember), sake - the shari was okay here. The neta knife work was just okay. Hiro-san was not working the counter when we walked in.

Bafun uni, mirugai, (can’t remember), aji - I think the uni was a tad off. I liked the texture of the giant clam. I think the shari was a touch overcooked and mushy…the texture was not as predominant as the shari I’ve had at Sushi Ii and Sushi Kaneyoshi.

Negi toro hand roll - this was giant hand roll that the chef stuffed with chutoro. The seaweed had a nice texture but wasn’t like the potato chip-crisp that I’ve found that I love more.

Service was good. I couldn’t always hear what the chef was presenting to me because of the mask, guard, and accent, but it was a nice leisurely lunch. I am a bit sad that it did not end with tamago.

Total tab for this was $149 (before tax & tip). Some bites were good. I was more disappointed that the shari was over and some of the neta were a little gristly. Maybe I’ll come back to try the fusion tasting menu for $70.

7 Likes