October 2016 Weekend Rundown

I agree that it is infuriating. It is infuriating because it’s mostly true.

Juanitas III (Ontario)
These nachos are $9.50. The tortillas are made fresh daily and are cut and fried into chips. They slather on a generous helping of beans, cheese, pico de gallo, avocado crema, sour cream, olives, cilantro, and your choice of carne asada, carnitas, chicken, pork chile verde (my favorite), pork chile rojo. The box feels 5 lbs heavy. Get lots of their house made hot sauce. Pour it all over. Tastes like someone’s grandma made it for you. I don’t even live in the area anymore, but when I want nachos, these are what I crave.

6 Likes

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

#First lunch - Sushi of gari
not sushi

Chopped Fatty Tuna with Pickled Radish

Botan Ebi - sweet shrimp

Marinated Fresh Lobster with Mojio Sea Salt

Tuna with Creamy Tofu Puree

Fresh Salmon with Sauteed Tomato & Sweet Onion Sauce

bafun hokkaido uni

Hotate - scallop

Seared Albacore with Miso & Garlic

Tuna Grated Daikon Radish with Ponzu Sauce

Foie Gras with Pear Compote

Chopped Crunchy Eel with Sliced Avocado

Sea bass

Yellowtail with Jalapeno Sauce

Red Snapper with Micro Greens, Roasted Pine Nuts, Bean Sprouts, Fried Lotus Root, and hint of Wasabi Olive Oil #salad

unagi

spicy scallop roll

Chopped Crunchy Eel with Avocado Roll

Tuna and Salmon roll

tamago

Toto S350e

#Second lunch - Cento Pasta Bar / Andare @ Birch

Chicken Liver Crostino - jidori chicken liver, aged balsamic, golden raisin argo dolce

Fagiolini, porcini, truffle, sausage, hen of the woods, grana padano

10 Likes

they both look amazing but that sushi of gari meal is insane.

was it north or south of $150 for food?

It was 124 before tax and tip.
I got the 8 piece sushi lunch special which includes soup, salad and a roll for $50, plus 10 bonus rounds because I needed to save room for second lunch.

3 Likes

I was surprised how much I liked Sushi of Gary.
To me almost every piece of sushi looks like a miniature sculpture of a small female rodent being mounted by an even smaller male rodent of a sexually compatible but slightly different species. And, yes, I do know that that is both slightly repulsive, as well as biologically impossible.

3 Likes

you sir are my glutton hero. i imagine you look something like this:

if your mission was to get me aroused then consider that mission accomplished

2 Likes

I agree, i was also surprised i enjoyed the mating pieces of sushi. but I still like the traditional pieces and they do both very well.

1 Like

For your viewing pleasure

3 Likes

Can I play too?

4 Likes

I’d like to consider myself the happier friendlier stay puft marshmallow man

4 Likes

thanks for using the english names for the sushi stuffs.

2 Likes

Hi @PorkyBelly,

Nice. :slight_smile: Did you think it was worth it for Sushi of Gari for Lunch at $124 (+ tax and tip)?

At that price, I feel like I’d rather go to Shunji for Lunch and have a full omakase there, LOL.

The chicken liver crostini looks and sounds incredible. But in Italy, that would enough liver for six crostini. :us::pig:

1 Like

How much is shunji’s lunch omakase these days? I can’t get out of shunji for under $200 before i’m full #firstworldsushiproblems.
I left SOG with 16 pieces and 3 rolls and was satisfied so I think it was worth it. But more importantly everything tasted delicious.

Hi @PorkyBelly,

Ah nice. Last time we went, it was roughly… $100 for a full omakase at lunch? We didn’t order extra pieces LOL.

I also heard about Shunji’s $40 Lunch, which looked like a good deal, and maybe supplement that with a few more pieces / roll(s).

1 Like

Why I love Highland Park and why it has become my default on more weekends lately.
First the Hermosillo. Second the Hermosillo, and their brussels sprouts. The York Bar and Grill for great mixed drinks, grenache blanc, Sunday night “blues” music and fish n’ chips. The Hi Hat for music from all genres- some good, some great, some maybe notsomuch. …and the fried pickled cauliflower. And now Maximilano. First time there last night. Liked the room -friendly, active, but not overwhelming. Staff was very attentive and there was no static when we had to adjust the reservation when part of the group was stuck in westside traffic. At the bar for a few glasses of wine…an order of mixed olives and roasted beets while waiting for brother and sis-in-law to arrive. At our table, a lot more wine (various oaked/unoaked chardonnays, pinot, and a pleasant dry rose), shared a margherita pizza, watermelon/beet salads, and for entrees the lamb shank, salmon, shellfish/squid ink pasta special, and a freeform lasagna special with Bolognese sauce and all sorts of extras…it was all quite good. The room was busy, but we held a conversation easily. Very friendly, but not fussy service. Do Highland Park.

4 Likes

Translation for PorkyBelly: $100 for first lunch, and then another $100 for second lunch. So still about the same $200.

2 Likes

Awesome description.

Fantastic spot! It helps that Highland Park Brewery makes some of the best beer in LA.

2 Likes