October 2016 Weekend Rundown

It tasted like a mexican chocolate, reminded me of the foie gras ice cream at humphry slocombe.

You know they’re laughing at you, right? :smirk:

Edited to add: I notice there is no bite taken out.

Darn i want my tip back then.

3 Likes

PorkyBelly’s belly: the home of the brave.

6 Likes

I love foie as well as mexican chocolate, but have never had any sort of liver ice cream. hmmmmm. was it something worth ordering again or just enjoyable for the novelty? i’m much more of a “savory” person than a “sweet” person but trying to decide if I could do liver ice cream or not. (@Bookwich–not laughing, but having a hard time wrapping my mind and tastebuds around the concept :kissing_heart:)

it’s worth trying, you can always sample it.

2 Likes

#Charcoal
Pre-game happy hour snacks before dinner
:chicken:

:cow2:

:sheep:

bison tartare, chamomile, sweet onion, preserved meyer lemon, hazelnut
This was a great dish, loved the sweetness from the dots of onion puree on top.

21 day aged liberty duck
Another great dish, fat was perfectly rendered, meat was tender, skin crispy and it tasted so intensely of duck that it tried to sell me life insurance.

11 Likes

Goddamn that duck looks amazing

2 Likes

How funny, I was also at Smorgasberg today. :slight_smile:
I’m not going to duplicate the photos other people posted already. BTW, there is no traffic between Culver City and downtown at 11:30 on a Sunday morning, so great to make it downtown in 13 minutes.

Guerrilla sweet potato taco and Venice Coffee Company cold brew.

The taco I was not impressed with at all. A big pile of sliced sweet potatoes in a flat, textureless, tasteless corn tortilla. The salsa was good, but there was only a little bit. I ate a bite and tossed the rest. The coffee I tossed also, pretty bad, weird agave/almond milk flavor, couldn’t taste any coffee.

Arepasf - Pork and Original

Very good, Venezuelan-style Arepas, which my half-Venezualan friend said were excellent for street food (as opposed to his mom’s, of course.)

1/2 Dozen Mixed Oysters and a “Shot” of Sparkling Wine

Their shucking skills could use some work, but good oysters at a great price… The Persian Cucumber Mignonette was excellent. So cute that the wine stand does recommendations for tacos.

Tomato Ramen (Pizza Day Special)

My favorite thing I ate today. It wasn’t really a broth and I didn’t taste any chorizo, instead the sauce was more of a very delicious ground meat ragu. Well-balanced components and the noodles were thin and alkaline, just the way I like them.

We also had the URBN Mashed Potato and Bacon Pizza, so good! Next time I’m getting the clam pizza, whether anyone else wants some or not. People had other food too, like pie and ice-cream and porky things, but I didn’t try any of it.

7 Likes

City of Gold - A Documentary

It was haunting, lyrical and poetic… Just kidding! It was funny, grungy and unpredictable… an ode to L.A. Oh yeah… and the food :stuck_out_tongue:! I now understand why JGold’s best reviews are of holes-in-the-wall.

We couldn’t resist staying for the tastings.

Jitlada
Lalibela
Pasta Sisters
Squarefritz
Guelaguetza
Mexicali Taco & Co.
Mapo Galbi
EdiBOL
Kye’s
Here’s Looking At You
Rustic Canyon
Salt & Straw
etc…

Everything was good. But coming off Thai DOTM, we judged. Jitlada is king. They can prepare a dish where your taste buds savor all the great flavors before the heat consumes your mouth, and then it’s gone. Brilliant. We had this incredible dark, rich, ground chicken dish. And tofu skeptics? Their garlic tofu is cooked perfectly!

All the restaurant owners were there. Their food and time was 100% donated. Proceeds went to https://foodforward.org/.
We paid $12 per tix, $15 donation to Music Forward (optional), and chose the $35 for 13 food tickets, $15 for a large draft beer.

Angelenos and restaurant owners owe JGold a debt of gratitude for helping to put these type of places on the map.

8 Likes

So many festivals & events to choose from this past weekend. This looks great!

1 Like

Green Street Cafe (Huntington Beach)
Cajun Benedict - sautéed spinach, crab cakes, poached eggs, Cajun-spiced Hollandaise…no English muffin

Early Bird (Fullerton)
Weekend Benedict special - English muffin, fresh spinach, bacon, avocado, poached eggs, jalapeño Hollandaise…also a broiled tomato and side salad with house-made vinaigrette
Also a flight of mimosas…blueberry, original, and raspberry…they use fresh fruit

5 Likes

DISNEYLAND

Dole Whip (duh) and the best dang corndogs. Our last couple visits we’ve been getting the hot link version in California Adventure with great success. Might try the OG version next go.

CHUBBY RICE

Second visit here was great. The owner/operators are so friggin’ nice.

crab rangoon and homemade dipping sauces

popcorn chicken

general tso’s chicken / chow mein / egg roll

mongolian beef / pork fried rice / egg roll

SMITTEN ICE CREAM

Almost forgot about this. Stopped by for a couple scoops - Vanilla with crispies and Mint Chip. The vanilla was good but almost too cream-y. The mint chip was better. They use real mint leaves (not spearmint).

5 Likes

Uh… yum!

A trip to Burbank…Porto’s & of course Ikea.

9 Likes

Super Torta’s DF really deserves its only thread. It should probably be far more popular than it is. Despite the obscene amount of things inside, the torta cubana is neatly packed and somehow not ludicrously overwhelming. Could use a few more pepper perhaps, but overall just beautifully balanced and awesome. One of the best sandwiches in LA.

In-N-Out vanilla shake = highly recommended pairing.

4 Likes

A great batido in its own right.

I went to Otium this weekend. I’m starting to think I just don’t understand what makes for a good new restaurant anymore. Or perhaps I do and I don’t like it.

Without going dish by dish–everything tasted pretty good. Nothing tasted great. There is more of an emphasis on presentation than taste. It cost a lot of money. When I left, I went to Guisados and got two cochinita pibil tacos. The cooking was better than any at Otium and it was less than $10.

Other than Cassia, I struggle to think of the last big opening in LA in the “expensive dinner” category where the food truly delivered.

Otium was packed. So I don’t think it is going anywhere. However, I cannot recommend spending what it costs to get pretty “plays” on food that are about 75% as good as the real thing (see, e.g., falafel, kimchi fried rice).

4 Likes

[quote=“Aesthete, post:38, topic:4358”]
Super Torta’s DF really deserves its only thread.
[/quote]Where is it located?

1098 E 41st St, Los Angeles, CA 90011

it’s a food truck, so note their operating hours. i have gone at the wrong time, twice.