October 2020 Rundown

LOL, no mosquitoes, we would have definitely remembered cuz moscos love my wife.

6 Likes

That is the second most concern if we consider dining out. We took a coworker out for their last hurrah at Clearman’s Steak ‘N Stein and I came home with 4 new bites.

1 Like

What about the noise level? :rofl:

3 Likes

#mosquitoseeker1999

5 Likes

hahaha, noise levels were good. Pretty quiet. maybe one loud car the whole night?

3 Likes

Ever since @CiaoBob posted about Mirame I’ve been hoping to make it over there and finally did last week. We had a great time hanging out in Beverly Hills for an evening, as that is not the norm.

Not many pictures as the lighting wasn’t great and we were all ready to eat anyway.

Mirame is a study in textures. Mouse melon, galangal sorbet, black garlic, white jelly mushroom. So many dishes were more than notes and chords but full on songs. Overall like a concept album.

I had a cocktail and a pour of bacanora which were both great. Robust liquor selection from Mexico, including a few corn whiskeys.

Top to bottom we had:

Salmon Skin Chicarones - fermented garlic aioli
Just delicious. And the black garlic :kissing_heart:

Masa Gnocchi - grilled sardines, baby corn, grilled peach, saba, corn nuts, pippin
A little tart and punchy underneath everything, I’m guessing from the pippin apple.

Glazed Lettuce Stem - ogo salsa roja, guajes, xo sauce
Earthy and smoky. I love chewing on stems and roots.

Smashed Avocado and Salsa Trio
Served with tostada shells. Kinda bothered me but that’s because I love going to town on a basket of chips.

CEVICHES

Pacifico Striped Bass - nopal aguachile granita, sea beans, avocado, mouse melon

Gifts of the Sea - shima-aji, crab, uni, scallops, tomato gelee, galangal sorbet

This almost could have been boring because it’s just a bunch of delicious things in a bowl but that quenelle of galangal sorbet mixed with the tomato gelee was complimented so well by the greens

TOSTADAS

Omega Blue Kampachi - avocado, white jelly mushroom, preserved grapefruit, mexi-kosho

Dungeness crab and Pork Terrine - corn, avocado, ikura, salsa macha
Just perfect. The pork terrine was so subtle yet assertive. I was skeptical of this dish but am glad we ordered it.
TACOS

Crispy Pork Belly - Szechuan eggplant, strawberry-tomatillo pico, peanuts

Smoked Yellowtail Tacos Dorados - potato & creme fraiche, nopal gribiche
Disappeared before I could try it.

SEGUIMOS

Grilled 35oz Prime Cote de Boeuf - melted leeks, fermented garlic, embers oil
Return of the black garlic!! a dish like this had better be good and it for sure was.
Whole Fried Baja Snapper - chili chintextle, masa jus, tomatillo milpero

Delicious. At this point in the meal I didn’t feel like deboning a fish. Fall apart tender of course but still had to be wary of bones. I’d order this again 100% though. That masa jus soaked into the fish like water into a sponge. The server laughed because he said most people just kinda pick at the fish and don’t really know what to do.

SWEETS

Strawberry - spice cream, tamarind, strawberry goat gelato
delicious but not something I’d order.

Mezcal Flan - nixtamalized papaya, amaranth sesame cacao soil
Great but it’d better be great. Wish there was more of the papaya.

Pineapple Miso Brûlée - jalapeno-nopal sorbet
Not pictured. Kinda missed the mark. The jalapeño-nopal sorbet though I would buy pints of.

Punkin - goat cajeta, calabaza en Tacha, cafe
The cake was a little dense for my liking but the coffee ice cream was stellar.

I had to laugh because after watching multiple tables turn super fast and mentioning it to our server, he said it was nice to see some people just attack the menu and not get hung up with so many questions. This one 12-top birthday party split into two six tops was in-n-out in ~80 minutes and the server was like wow they’re done already!?

16 Likes

Great report of a ridiculously great restaurant.

1 Like

![image|281x500]

Writer/Photographer Dylan J Ho, mapped out a taco crawl

13 Likes

That’s super cool how they were able to accommodate your entire group.

1 Like

We weren’t the 12-top birthday party, although I realize it might have sounded like that! They were a group I was laughing about with the server. We were like, their meal was so quick. But I was surprised to see that accommodated as well, though I guess technically there weren’t any rules broken.

But actually we were a seven top split into a four top and a three top. As soon as I mentioned seven people they told me they couldn’t do a table larger than 6. When we sat next down next to each other sharing a long banquette, the host told us we couldn’t swap meets or generally cross the boundary of our tables.

I sat at the four top. The three top ordered for themselves but they did pass over some of the Cote de Boeuf and a few oysters. Likewise we gave them bites of some of our dishes.

1 Like

Dear johns amazing atmosphere/dining experience. All spaces were properly spaced and the staff were all wearing ppe and gloves and were well trained on protocols. Patio was painted red and well decorated.

Everything there is executed very well and the staff is top notch . Nothing will blow you away but everything is tasty. We usually go there for the vibe and ambiance. Definitely check it out if you’re into a new school old school steakhouse experience.

Dtown pizza in weho. Very tasty also very pricy. More in pizza thread.

15 Likes

Doood, what is that salad! Its so campy I love the presentation

It’s called the iceberg wedge they also make a great Caesar!

1 Like

Dear John’s does classics right. This is what makes them bomb.

2 Likes

I gasped when I recognized the caviar tater tots. Such a fun dish and a great mix of high brow/low brow. Glad it was a good dining experience.

2 Likes

Super fun dish and tasty to boot. Don’t skip if you’re there!

Carmakase - Marisco Jalisco x Sonoratown x Tire Shop x SomiSomi

tacos de camaron - Mariso Jalisco
crunch. crunch. crunch.

poseidon - Mariso Jalisco
delicious and spicy.

costilla taco - Sonoratown
Sonoratown’s tacos are often served lukewarm and this visit was no different. In fact, the tortillas was hard in parts. :poop: But I still enjoy their tender and juicy grilled steak fillings.

chivichanga with shredded beef - Sonoratown
This always come piping hot so this is where their flour tortillas shine. Delish.

asada taco - Tire Shop
Two of my friends on this trip prefer Tacos El Gordo in San Diego over Tire Shop but I’ve never been there before so I can’t comment. What say you?

chorizo taco - Tire Shop

ah-boong | matcha soft serve, fish-shaped cone with taro filling - SomiSomi
Where we go when we’re craving for fish and omega-3.

16 Likes

Average tacos in that class but better than typical street tacos. Horrible ordering system that generally leaves tacos cold if you like more than 1 meat.

Never been to tire shop but I prefer Mexicali and 1986 over TEG. The only time I go to TEG is when I’m desperate and in Las Vegas where they have a few locations which are pretty much identical to SD

2 Likes

Never got to try Sonoratown except at Taco Festival, I thought the asada was pretty good (not bad for mass cooking for what a few hundred people at Olvera) It seems like the chivichanga is the move.

You gotta try the Tostada Negra at Mariscos Tocho my friend. The Salsa Negra might be the best salsa in LA and I ever had (shout out to Salsa Aceite at La Unica)

1 Like

So TEL in Vegas = TEL in OG SD = average?