October 2020 Rundown

My mom called me this afternoon to say hi. She was going down to Torrance to meet a friend. I asked her if she was going to the Chinese place we like with the pork chops and fried fish.

4 hours later at my door step. I forget the exact name of the place but it’s one of those places with Ocean in the name

14 Likes

That’s love!

2 Likes

Nothing greater than mom love.

We are taking my parents to the Ranch next weekend for their 50th anniversary.

7 Likes

Superlative Mom love is that she also brought you a vegetable with your proteins.

4 Likes

Fun fact figure skater Michelle Kwan parents had a Chinese restaurant in Torrance.

Yup she used to be a kid in the corner of the restaurant doing homework when not on ice.

I feel that is very common sight in Asian restaurants

3 Likes

Reminds me of the sushi-ya that the parents of USA Olympics ice skater Mirai Nagasu run in Arcadia

6 Likes

THICCC and puffy handmade tortillas with :chicken: mole. The mole smelled so darn good even though it was bagged up…I was salivating the entire time I was driving home.

The green salsa went perfectly with the mole :heart_eyes: :sparkling_heart: :cupid:

11 Likes

amazing looking tortilla!

1 Like

It’s the same THICC style as Los Cinco Puntos’ but a bit less soft and puffy and aromatic. Still very good overall but their mole is the star here.

What does THICC stand for?

THICC

2 Likes

Thank you for your post! I haven’t heard of this place and now it’s on the list! The Chilaquilles look great and… bottle esquirt!

5 Likes

Their mole was a rec by a cook so definitely try that. Also, they have a few tables out on the sidewalk shaded by trees.

I’ll keep an eye out on your report!

1 Like

Seconding @moonboy403’s rec - it’s a really solid local joint!

1 Like

Amazing Bento box from Shunji. Not a single
miss. Everything cooked perfectly.

15 Likes

Oh you meant actual thicc I thought it was some weird ftc acronym lol.

Like “tortillas harina something something”…

2 Likes

Felt like I wanted to gush a little more about this. This meal just felt so…Japanese, in the most perfect way. The dishes were all so balanced.

–I sometimes find chirashi a bit monotonous, but this was the perfect amount. The scallops and ikura were first rate.

–The surprise star of the show was the beef in the top center. You can’t really tell from the picture, but this was like a Japanese steak and potatoes dish all in one. Luscious, mid-rare wagyu, mushrooms, and then beneath a japanese sweet potato, tofu, and spinach.

–In the top left, there was a tempura crab, tamagoyaki, and then a delicious black cod. Honestly, looking back, I can’t remember what the other tempura was, I think it was fried fish though. It was all good.

–The sashimi was great, and acted as a very nice foil when other parts of the meal became too rich.

–The shrimp in the bottom center was perhaps my favorite bite of the box. Just perfect snap giving into just the right interior temp, and then some pickled vegetables beneath.

–The only item I wasn’t crazy about was on the top right. It wasn’t a cooking miss, but just isn’t my speed. I was hoping it would be a chawanmushi. I love those from Shunji. Instead, it was more like a sweet potato puree with raw scallops and some kind of vegetables. Had a baby food esque texture, wasn’t my favorite. I’m sure others know what this is.

At $75, this was really a steal and I hope people take advantage. I felt like a billionaire leaving with that box.

10 Likes

I feel ya.

I went to Shunji for extended outdoor omakase last evening, and even dining al fresco in the night air, the food was as great as ever. The delicate and delectable thin cuts of Miyazaki A5 wagyu were just perfect with matsutake mushrooms, the langoustine tempura with murasaki uni matched perfectly with the Ichigo sake, and I wanted to never stop eating the koji custard with berries.

6 Likes

Sounds great but you left out the Insect and Smog Report…

7 Likes

They had a nice looking set up. I’m still not comfortable doing outdoor dining–(no judgment, to each his own, people have different levels of anxiety and mine is high)–but I mentally bookmarked this one as one to go back to when I am.

4 Likes