October 2021 Rundown

Holy shit, that is an amazing few hours!!

1 Like

That reminds me i should hit up F.O… Wow those chilaquiles are on point!!

2 Likes

Those chilaquiles have so much flavor on their own. I get a side of chorizo to add to the side of refried beans they give you. Most people add eggs to chilaquiles but I personally love them unaltered.

I went to FO to watch the Dodgers playoffs on a Saturday night. Not a bad place to watch a game with the selection of beers plus that burger that continues to be great.

1 Like

Try the smoked eel salad sometime - one of my favorites!

1 Like

Pasta Sisters in Culver City last night. Haven’t been since pre-pandemic times and glad that everything was as good as ever.

Arrabbiata, which I ask for extra spicy, with tagliatelle and topped with burrata:

Carbonara:

Bresaola Carpaccio:

19 Likes

Definitely have to come back! Just a quick lobster roll

Damn good lobsters!

Mikes for dessert (should have went to Modern)

12 Likes

How much was the lobster roll - prices tend to be really high this year.
Any other places you visited in Boston ?

1 Like

Lol I didn’t even look I just said add 20 percent. You’re right it’s not cheap I went to some place in Ipswich and it was $$$. It wasnt that great and neither were the clams. If I am still here on the east coast next summer I think I rather go up to Maine and eat my lobster fix. Even when I do move back to CA to Southern California or the Bay I really like the New England area. I like Boston from what I seen, well at least the North End. What a cool neighborhood. I would gladly come back during the fall and the summer as I would love to visit the Capes and Martha’s.

I definitely want to come back to Boston soon. Any recs for food? Like I said I would love to come back to Neptune Oyster and go biggie boy on that menu. All of it sounds good and that quality of that lobster was phenomenal!

I’ll be going to Sally’s Apizza maybe Louis Lunch next so stay tuned!

5 Likes

I have a lot of catching up to do…

Love & Salt

If it’s not obvious, I’m an east side guy, so I rarely find the will to drive out to the west side for dinner. However, I always make my friends come to me (I mean come on the east side has better food :upside_down_face:) but after paying them back and driving all the way out to dinner in Manhattan Beach at Love & Salt, I may actually have found a place that I’m keen to revisit on what basically amounts to the other side of the planet.

Wood Oven Meatballs

Not something I usually order, but given that we were going carb heavy I’m glad that we did. Flavor was great and I’d eat it again–I just wish it came with more bread (not that we would need more of it though).

Freekehlicious

There’s a lot going on here–five different grains, radish, currants, hazelnuts, and herbs–but it amounts to what is one of the best “salads” I’ve had in a long time. If you’re going for the first time, put it on your table.

Strozzepreti Costolette

Our sole pasta dish, but it was a hit.

Krikorian South

It was really hard just choosing two pizzas, but I think we made the right call. First up was the Krikorian South, which is sausage, a bunch of different cheeses, fried sage, and honey. I love honey on carbs.

Duck Egg

Our friends that had been before highly recommended we get the duck egg pizza and it was another great call. The only thing I love more than honey on carbs is a soft, broken yolk on carbs.

I really want to get back to Love & Salt to try some more of the dishes (mainly different pizzas although that would be tough because the ones we had were so great). So if you find yourself out in that neck of the woods, Love & Salt is a great option.

All Time

One of LA’s neighborhood gems. All Time’s dinner situation isn’t going to blow you away with flavors you’ve never tasted before, but the quality of the cooking and ingredients is top notch. It’s also just a great vibe and one of those places with an incredibly high floor.

Good Ass Salad

It’s fucking huge.

Burrata

Yeah the name of the dish is about a cheese–and the cheese is good–but it’s really just bread topped with a bunch of delicious things to trick you into thinking it’s not just a bread dish. It’s also the best thing on the menu.

The Whole Dang Fish

Yes, a whole fish. Not super creative, but look at the crispy rice it comes with!

Brussels

One of my favorite brussels sprouts dishes ever. The bacon is cut thicc and generous so you get some with every bite of vegetable.

Cauliflower Rice

Probably one of the healthiest vegetable entrees I’ve had in awhile, as it’s packed with huge rings of beats, turnips, and squash as well. All mixed together it was quite good and something I’d have no trouble feeling confident to order again.

Eszett

I’ve had their hot sauce, but this was my first time dining in. In short, I was really impressed and wondered why this place doesn’t get more shine. I came for the shrimp toast, but all the dishes were inventive and packed with flavor. I’ll definitely be returning.

Big Fries

Holy shit these might be some of the best fries I’ve ever had. They were wedge cut, so I was a bit skeptical, but no joke about halfway through each was just the crispiest, crunchiest exterior. I normally don’t jump for fries on a menu, but will absolutely get these again.

Shrimp Toast

I don’t know why, but I don’t see shrimp toast many places around LA and I had a particular craving. This version didn’t disappoint–the bread was a bit crust forward but the spicy sweet sauce was fantastic.

Kampachi Crudo

A fairly light and refreshing dish that really comes together thanks to the nori oil. It took what would be a fairly standard crudo dish to an interesting place that I absolutely devoured.

Sunchoke + Grilled Quinc

The romesco/tahini mash up sauce was fantastic. A banger of a vegetable dish.

Grilled Long Beans

Hints of some Asian influences provided some nice contrast to the sunchokes and showed that they’re confident and capable of pulling off a range of flavors across the menu.

Filet Uh Fish Sandwich

Solid, but there are others out there that are better.

Of the two sandwiches we got, this was the more exciting one.

Regardless, the fact that Eszett has a number of different sandwich type options on the menu makes it a great place to come solo, eat at the bar, and still have a fantastic meal. Get one of those and maybe a vegetable and the fries and you’re set.

Chef Ai

Chef Ai has started offering bentos for pick up in the Arts District (out of Crafted Kitchen) and both of her seasonal offerings have been bangers. I think I first had her bentos when they were available for pick up in Pasadena last year, and both of these have been the best yet.

Sanma Bento

I really liked the sanma oshizushi, it was super flavorful and didn’t need anything else. There was also scallop yuan yaki and umaki, and while the eggplant and crab tofu didn’t quite live up to the Hayato bentos, it was enough of a taste while I’ve been going through that withdrawal.

Toro Sawara Bento

The slightly more expensive toro sawara bento was my favorite of the two though. The grilled toro sawara was a super highlight–one of my favorite bites I had in October. The bento is filled out with a lux chirashi of uni, crab, scallops, and ikura, as well as the other items from the sanma bento, plus ankimo.

You can order for Fridays and Saturdays here: Ai - Los Angeles , CA | Tock

Outstanding in the Field at Paramount Studios

I’ve never been to one of these kind of events before–and had I not been invited I wouldn’t have otherwise gone–but I think I learned a lot from the experience.

Passed Apps

These probably were the most successful bites overall. The abalone was fine, chicken wing from Jitlada was as good as it gets, and my favorite was the shrimp from Shiku.

Sunchoke and Red Pepper Bread from Céor Bread

I guess I kinda paid for it (even though I didn’t) but I didn’t finish it.

Crudo from Crudo e Nudo

This was my first indication of what we were in for… the flavor was good, but the knife work was super suspect as not all of the slices of fish were even or cut all the way through.

I didn’t take a picture of the chile relleno from Angry Egret Dinette because it was so disappointing… the mole on it was good, but the cheese inside wasn’t even melted. So here’s a picture of what the event looks like instead if you’ve never been to one of these Outstanding in the Field things before.

Brisket Hummus from Slab BBQ

This was at least kind of warm when it hit the table, and flavor wise my favorite dish. It’s something that I wish Burt Bakman would actually have on the menu for us to order at Slab.

Grilled Fruit Cake from Valerie Confections

Nothing about this was grilled, but at least it tasted good and was meant to be chilled. I think.

Guelaguetza

We ordered a lot. They didn’t try to wave us off of it, but we really underestimated the amount of food this was :sweat_smile:

Chips and Mole (Complimentary)

An easy dip into the mole pool.

Molcajete de Gucamole

We could have passed on it, but whenever we go out for Mexican we always end up ordering it, so it was a given. The guacamole itself was great and had a bit of a kick to it.

Half order Botana Oaxaqueña

When we saw how big this was (there were 5 of us and this was intended for 4) I wasn’t actually sure if we would need anything else to eat. It’s a giant sizzling platter of grilled meats with cheese and chiles. Everything was delicious and it has such a strong QPR.

Festival de Moles

A must order just because it will give you a true sampling of what they do best.

A personal power ranking:

1. Mole Negro
  2. Mole Roja
  3. Estofado
  4. Coloradito

Tamal Oaxaqueño de Mole Negro con Pollo

A fantastic tamal that is just soaked in mole negro. If your group doesn’t have a huge appetite to order some of the huge family style dishes, I think this would be something to get.

Tlayuda Tradicional with Cecina

We didn’t really get into this as much because by this point the table was overflowing with dishes and we were pretty stuffed, but we all enjoyed the few bites of it we had.

Yes, there were a lot of leftovers :joy: so better ordering strategy might be in the works for next time, but overall the food was fantastic and Guelaguetza has some of the best QPR in the game.

Sunset Sushi

The Kaisen Chirashi is still the move.

DTLA Cheese

Final plug here for DTLA Cheese. Not only do they sell the best hot sauce in LA (from Highly Likely) but they also recently expanded their tinned fish selection. If you’re at GCM it’s definitely worth checking out.

Now on to November…

23 Likes

Great report, @rlw ! After this and other recent positive reports, I am gonna try to get over to Eszett.

1 Like

another good option on that side of the planet is ospi.

try the sopressata, honey, and chili pizza.

2 Likes

I also like the English Muffins at Love & Salt. So yum with their cultured butter…and also a vessel to sop up sauces from the pastas.

1 Like

Finally!

Underboob shot. Your fingers pickup a little of the char!

Incredible! The crust is thin, and crispy on the bottom and soft on top. Great taste and texture.

Sauce is balanced between sweet and tart.

The crust, sauce, and cheese in complete harmony like Boyz 2 Men. Might be worth it to send your kids to Yale for this.

We will see how Brooklyn compares!

19 Likes

Love Neptune Oyster so damn much. Their cioppino is the best I’ve ever had. It’s a long wait for a table for dinner but the bar at the restaurant across the street is always open and has a great beer selection.

1 Like

That cioppino caught my eye! Will definitely eat that next time! The menu looks so damn good.

Holy hell!! This place KILLS me everytime I see or read ANYTHING about it!!!

I am Sooooooo envious!!!

Glad you got there!!

3 Likes

Out of curiosity, how’d you pick Sally’s over Pepe’s and Modern?

No judgment. We never went to Pepe’s cause my uncle got in an argument with one of the descendants of Frank Pepe. Very Frank Constanza (for the Seinfeld fans).

3 Likes

I know people who tried all 3 and said Sally’s was the best (others are still great).

It was one of the best pizzas I ever had. If any of you pizza aficionados happened to be in NYC take a trip to New Haven. I highly recommend just getting cheese (mozzarella and tomato sauce pie). Keep it very simple. Eat it there. They have a large outdoor dining area as well as a park that is adjacent to it. I do want to try Frank Pepe’s for the clam pie.

Haha I love the Constanzas!

5 Likes

It’s great pizza! Definitely recommend if you are ever in the area.

1 Like

Hardcore Yalie friends swear by Sally’s.

2 Likes